Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Thoughts on using a military surplus ruck sack as a first pack until I can save up for a high quality/value pack for Western Big Game hunting?

WVgoodguy22

I am curious 🧐 what everyone’s thoughts and experiences are with using a military surplus ruck for backcountry style hunts or even truck camping 🏕 and potentially packing an animal out with it?
I recently was given a rucksack 🎒 by an Army Vet who volunteers at a local VA. He is a coworker and we spoke of my hunting dreams out west so when some became available he snatched me one. I bought some additional pouches for it for extra storage and organization.
My first hunt plan is for a possible 10+ day rifle hunt in Wyoming for mule deer 🦌 and pronghorn. I don’t believe that I will pick a high country unit for the mule deer 🦌 deer. Not sure yet but I have some time to decide.
So what are your thoughts 💭 knowing that is my goal. Eventually I may go hunting but hopefully have some family and friends to help pack it out if blessed to take one.

Attachments

• 518DB970-45ED-4866-9B23-5E3C9589C834.jpeg
    518DB970-45ED-4866-9B23-5E3C9589C834.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 44
  • A2147D94-593B-4697-B677-40243A43A100.jpeg
    A2147D94-593B-4697-B677-40243A43A100.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
  • D8271EC9-91BE-402E-8F26-729D3FE29C86.jpeg
    D8271EC9-91BE-402E-8F26-729D3FE29C86.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • 91595474-0D4E-48C2-9F68-408F9BC37F9D.jpeg
    91595474-0D4E-48C2-9F68-408F9BC37F9D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
I will say it this way.....if that is what you have, don't have the funds to purchase something like even a good used/closeout backpacking pack, then it will be functional but NOT comfortable in anyway. The MOLLE does not have a good system for transferring weight to your hips or have remotely comfortable shoulder or weight pads compared to others available. I schelped one of those jokers too much and have a pretty deep hatred for them ;)

That being said.....if it is all you can have/use....... embrace the suck!!!!!!

Military rucksacks work if that is all you have. Sometimes you have to make do with what you have at hand. The main benefit of hunting specific packs is those packs are designed to pack out game meat and a bit better than the military packs of centering the weight on your hips and shoulders rather than your back. When I was in the infantry I sent days at a time wearing my pack on forced marches but then I was a young stud back then and not overweight like I am now. Military packs are not bad, just really not designed to transpart game meat once you have it down and ready to pack out. Especially if your pack has the frame fitted to you.

First of all, the important thing to do is hunt if you have the time and energy. Gear is secondary. Having said that, you might find a vintage Kelty or Trailwise on eBay or second-hand store for well under a hundred bucks. In those days it was common to backpack 50+ pounds. The packs wouldn't be waterproof anymore, but really never were. The support systems, particularly on the Trailwise really unloaded the back and put the weight on the hips.

Like the others have said, if that is what you have, just go hunt. I have hunted/packed meat with packs that were much more spartan. The attached photo shows the kind of military surplus pack I used to pack my first few elk. I upgraded after the straps cut the circulation off in my arms while I was packing half of a boned out bull. I made it a little over a mile with that load and realized it was causing serious problems when I took the pack off and couldn’t lift my arms. We had made it to the trail, so my friend and I just returned the next morning with some help.

6CB37945-6DCD-4340-94D4-90606369A2E3.png

I have, a long time ago.
Went back to the Kelty for packouts. The Trailwise was the most comfortable, but was stolen in a train station. Then an Alaska freighter which I still use for backpacking & meat haul outs.
My J-104 is my hunt pack now.

It's Schaff approved!

My first pack was a special forces pack made by arc tyrx. That pack was great just a little heavy but can pack some serious weight. I still use it as my rucking pack for training.

I hate those packs. Carried one for way to many miles in my days. For stuffing a lot of stuff inside they work. It’s like a duffel bag inside, no way to secure anything inside. Hauling meat with it would be my last choice as it will just be flopping around inside.

That being said, if it’s all you have go for it. If there is another choice I would strongly suggest looking into it.

And for a mule deer/antelope hunt there is virtually no need for a large pack. You will be in walking distance from a vehicle most of the time.

As others have said, just go hunt using what you have. You will learn what equipment changes you need to make with time. My worthless advise is not to get hung up in the "gear race" everyone seems to be caught in. There are plenty of packs out there that are in the $100 or less range that work great. Possibly consider a pack that is not a "hunting" pack. My boys use a Teton sports pack that cost under $100 and can easily carry an elk hind quarter. Most importantly, enjoy the blessing of time in the woods with family and friends.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and experience with a MOLLE military rucksack 🎒 as a temporary option until I can save up $$ for a high quality/value pack. Coming from West Virginia and having a very limiting budget of time and money 💵 I might be only able to get out west for one hunt a year.
I know that I don’t need a large pack for pronghorn since they mostly will be found less than a mile away from the truck or SUV (depending upon what I can rent), I am not sure yet what kind of deer 🦌 hunting I will do or where in Wyoming. Going to try to keep the region within a couple hours of my pronghorn unit.
I didn’t figure that it would be the most comfortable thing out there. I know that comfort and fit is very important especially under load. I have a 23 in torso from waist to shoulder at 6’1” and 250 lbs.
I recently bought some 14EE Hanwag Alverstone II Gtx off GoHunt during their 3X points deal in January. I know that great boots 🥾 is very important too. I plan on wearing them a lot in the off season and will try to put weight in the pack and hike with it. If I don’t like it I may go one of the routes that you all suggested once I know that I have the tags 🏷. I currently have 273 dollars worth of points at GoHunt and could use it on a Mystery Ranch pack (Stone Glacier is too expensive), but I was planning on using that for a shelter like the Seek Outside Silex or a Zoleo.
Thanks again everyone. Definitely gave me food for thought 💭🤔

When I was younger I would hike out to get a frame pack for hauling elk. Go to thrift stores and garage sales and buy a cheap external frame pack. Pull the bag off of it and keep it in the truck. You can modify it to fit you and your needs, new belt or shoulder straps are cheap. After a kill hike to the truck swap bags. It's easy to tie to, meat doesn't flop around inside your pack making a mess and you can clean it off easy.

Like the others have said, if that is what you have, just go hunt. I have hunted/packed meat with packs that were much more spartan. The attached photo shows the kind of military surplus pack I used to pack my first few elk. I upgraded after the straps cut the circulation off in my arms while I was packing half of a boned out bull. I made it a little over a mile with that load and realized it was causing serious problems when I took the pack off and couldn’t lift my arms. We had made it to the trail, so my friend and I just returned the next morning with some help.

View attachment 211977
Same here. My first elk made it to the truck using one of these when I was 13.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back