Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Thoughts on Kodiak tents?

Eric.MN

Looking into buying a new tent, seems like the kodiak tents are really nice anyone here own one? Pros/cons about it? 400/500$ for a great tent that last doesn't seem so bad just want to make sure if I spend that much I get something I like. Other brands better? Plan on using it for recreation in northern MN and wyoming antelope/mule deer hunt camps.

Any input helps, thanks.

FWIW, they are a knock off of Springbar Tents. Not that it's a bad thing, but doing a search for Springbar will get you more reviews as they are nearly identical. I used one for one hunt in MT and was quite happy with the setup. I've thought of getting one for family outings. For the uses you describe I think they'd work quite well. If you plan on much winter time stuff, I may suggest something that is more compatible with heating. That said, a guy on another forum did modify is Kodiak to take a woodstove!

I've got the 10x14 Kodiak Flex Bow Tent. We used it in Wyoming on our pronghorn hunt. The wind blew a good 60 mph one day and the tent did perfect, can't say that for my pop up canopy though.

The 10x14 has plenty of room and is very easy to put up even for one person. The model we have has the windows in the doors, vents where the walls and ceiling meet and doors on both sides. We stayed comfortable even when the temps climbed and the sun was beating down.

I'm looking forward to camping with my family this year in it.

I have the same tent as WV Hunter. It's one of the best investments I've made for my hunting gear. It's easy to set up and very sturdy. Mine has held up to rain and sleet and snow and wind and it has held up wonderfully. It has many windows and doors in it, so venting it is easy. As for winter, I use a Coleman buddy heater and within a few minutes the tent is comfortable, so no need for a woodstove. I put 2 large cots in mine, as well as a table and there is plenty of room.

I also have the same tent as WV Hunter and JohnCushman and I use the buddy heater. On low with a large propane tank, it will stay heated for almost a full week. Really works well for summer and cold temps.

That's good to hear, my big concern was heating. They seem like a solid tent. I haven't upgraded my camping stuff for a while so a kodiak seems like a good tent for the money. Thanks for the input fellas it always helps hearing from people that put it to use in the field rather then hearing it from store sales man.

+3 to John and WV. I have the same 10x14 set up. I was solo in the ND Grasslands in late Oct/early Nov and I was very pleased. First hunting trip with set up. From the time I arrived at campsite to fully set up and living accommodations set up in tent was 1 hour. And that was via truck headlights and setting up tent 50 yards from truck. (Some RV'er had there generator running all night, so I needed to set up farther away.)

Heated with little Buddy heater with outside propane tank. It was in the 20's at night. Not tee shirt comfortable but it was nice. I will see look for pics and upload ASAP. Very good purchase.

Minor cons-I can see is if the wind was 60 MPH, I wouldn't deploy the canopy. The canvas is tight so I would expect minimal flapping in heavy wind. It is built heavy duty. (I was camped in a valley so wind was a non factor) Heavy vinyl floor is cold w/stocking feet. Easily fixed with crocs or slippers.

Last edited:
Though mine looks just like Z's here are a few more pics with my old man as the model.

We had plenty of room even with all the junk thrown inside when the wind was blowing about 60 mph. The awning stayed in place but did whip a bit in the wind.

I bought this for hunting in 2013,it is an awesome tent. As long as you aren't expecting a lot of snow it will be fine, or you could just put a tarp over it. The Mr. buddy heater works well to heat. I have the 10x10 and it is perfect for 2 people. 3 would be fine but definitely more comfy with just 2 people and gear. Make sure you get a footprint of some kind so your tent stays clean when you roll it up.

Even though it was freezing, my buddy wouldn't sleep in the tent since he had a new Nube hammock tent to try out. He froze, I found him sleeping in his truck the next morning with the heater on. I got chilly but survived, bought the buddy heater and have been fine ever since.

Attachments

• IMAG0569.jpg
    IMAG0569.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 448
I should add that it only takes about 15-20min for one person to put up. Something to think about if used for family camping, it will avoid arguments if you can handle it on your own. :)

I love being able to stand up in the tent and get dressed.

I had 2 BPS big outdoorsman cots in mine with a table between them and it was more than spacious. You could probably leave the table out and put in a 3rd cot.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back