Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Thoughts on Hunting an area that burned in 2013

bmontang

Just like the title says. I am looking at a unit fairly high - upper 9s to low 12s thousand feet that had a pretty large fire in 2013. I am just trying to figure out if that should be overgrown, undergrown, whatever. For those with experience in such matters what will the regrowth most likely look like? I plan on scouting this summer some, but the drive is 15 hours or more each way plus a good days horseback ride to get back in where I am thinking. If I can eliminate it because of whatever reason sight unseen I may.

Thanks

If you are talking 2013 you are looking at a lot of grass and new growth trees. When you look at Yellowstone's big fire, that area recovered in about 5 years. Old burns like that area a good place to check.

I don't have much experience with those elevations, assuming you're looking at Colorado. I hunted a burn from 2007 in Wyoming around 8-10,000', and the main issue was wind thrown trees, especially once there got to be about a foot of snow. Found elk there though. I agree with WyoDoug, probably prime time for understory conditions at five years out, but watch out for newly falling trees, especially if it gets windy.

Alot depends on the intensity of the fire. I have seen some areas that take quite a few years before growth beyond grasses and other shallow rooted plants were able to grow. If the fire was less intense, seven years of growth could be thick and above your head.

Lots of good grass and depending if there is a lot of blow down it can be good cover as well. Once those dead falls start blowing over and laying everywhere it can make navigating the burn area pretty tough.

I have a forestry degree - Lots of variables - Fires improve big game habitat most of the time. After 7 years, falling trees and limbs can be spooky in the wind. I have been in areas of lodgepole pine that burned after 20 years - impossible for anything to get through the downfall.

I have hunted in blow-down areas after old burns recovered in a range of around 5-7 years. Don't discount blow-downs. It's a pain in the ass to hike through but keep in mind that the better elk are going to go where hunters are not and they kinda know where hunters are not showing up. Blow downs is one of those areas. They will be difficult areas to hike through but do not discount them. I have found more than one elk in the middle of a blow-down area including one by Montrose in Colorado.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back