Thor Hammers?

mxracer317

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 20, 2020
Messages
1,389
Just getting into muzzleloading and finally got some Black Horn 209 (after taking out a small second mortgage.)

Shooting a 50 cal CVA Acura MR-X and curious to know what your thoughts are on 300 grain or hammers for elk? The other options that I’m gonna try to see which one the fire stick likes the best is:

THOR Hammer 300 gr
Federal Trophy Copper BOR Lock 270 gr
PowerBelt ELR 330 gr

If anyone has any feedback, look to hear it!
 
One vote for 300gr Thors loaded with a spinjag on top of 70gr of BH209 . Killed 1 elk, 3 pronghorn, and wife killed a moose with that over the last 7 years.
 
I went with Federal BorLock and have been happy. The Thors seem like a lot of futzing around to find the right size for your gun, I didnt want to deal with that.
 
I didn’t have great luck with them or any of the coppers out of my CVA. I ended up with Hornady bore riders and was happy with the accuracy.

You are going to need to buy a pack and try them, each muzzy is so different on what it likes.
 
I shoot the 300 grain hammers with 100 grains of American pioneer powder. The deer flop further than they walk and the elk have gone about 50 yards.

I’ve done the fitted bullets and the general size and haven’t really noticed a difference in accuracy through my muzzleloader.
 
I got better accuracy with the Hornady 290gr. Bore Driver than the Thor 250s, but haven't tried the 300s. Was really, really displeased with PowerBelts' performance on a bull elk.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
120,158
Messages
2,251,740
Members
39,105
Latest member
Booner
Back
Top