Thor Hammers?

mxracer317

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 20, 2020
Messages
1,389
Just getting into muzzleloading and finally got some Black Horn 209 (after taking out a small second mortgage.)

Shooting a 50 cal CVA Acura MR-X and curious to know what your thoughts are on 300 grain or hammers for elk? The other options that I’m gonna try to see which one the fire stick likes the best is:

THOR Hammer 300 gr
Federal Trophy Copper BOR Lock 270 gr
PowerBelt ELR 330 gr

If anyone has any feedback, look to hear it!
 
I went with Federal BorLock and have been happy. The Thors seem like a lot of futzing around to find the right size for your gun, I didnt want to deal with that.
 
I didn’t have great luck with them or any of the coppers out of my CVA. I ended up with Hornady bore riders and was happy with the accuracy.

You are going to need to buy a pack and try them, each muzzy is so different on what it likes.
 
I shoot the 300 grain hammers with 100 grains of American pioneer powder. The deer flop further than they walk and the elk have gone about 50 yards.

I’ve done the fitted bullets and the general size and haven’t really noticed a difference in accuracy through my muzzleloader.
 
I've used the 300gr Thors for years now and have killed a pile of deer and a couple elk with them. Been happy with their accuracy and terminal performance.


I've heard good things about the Bore Locks. But other then seeing a couple deer killed in camp by a guy using them I have no personal experience.


I do have personal experience with powerbelts and IMO they're junk and there's piles of better options.
 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
120,162
Messages
2,251,901
Members
39,105
Latest member
Booner
Back
Top