Caribou Gear Tarp

Thor bullets?

WildWill

Question for anyone using Thor bullets are you using the hollow points or ballistic tips? Plan on using them for elk in SW Colorado this season and was wondering which one would be best. Got the sizing kit and figured out which size to order just wondering which would be best. So what does the brain trust say should I go with the 300gr ballistic tips or 297gr hollow points?

the tip will never come off, its a pressed in fit. I had to drill them out during testing.

Great bullets. Pick your poison. HP will expand easier with less velocity vs the ballistic tip.

Not always. Sometimes hollow points will plug up and delay expansion. If a tipped bullet is built right the tip helps start the expansion faster than a hollow point. Ballistic gel tests have shown this.

It all depends on the bullet. They don't all work the same.

Read about the new Hornady Bore Driver bullets coming out. They use a new softer tip that enhances expansion at low fps.

Last edited:
I don't know if either bullet is better but here are 2 pics from a few of the tipped bullets from some elk.

Left is 300 grain, 140 yard shot. Middle is 250 grain, 60 yard shot. Right is 250 grain, 25 yards. Shots were all with about 100 grains of powder and pretty much broadside-ish.

Don't know if that helps but just some fyi. They've performed well for me.

20210628_092631.jpg
20210628_092644.jpg

I don't know if either bullet is better but here are 2 pics from a few of the tipped bullets from some elk.

Left is 300 grain, 140 yard shot. Middle is 250 grain, 60 yard shot. Right is 250 grain, 25 yards. Shots were all with about 100 grains of powder and pretty much broadside-ish.

View attachment 186914
View attachment 186916
Those look great hope I get a chance to pull one out of a elk myself! Decided to go with the ballistic tips ordered 15 300gr and 15 of the 250gr. Can't wait for them to get here and do some testing. Thanks for the responses.

I’d definitely use the 300gr on elk. Even a 300gr .502” diameter projectile has a pathetic sectional density of .170.

My brother in law and I just killed bulls in CO with 300gr Thor tipped bullets. 30 and 43 yard shots. My bull went 80 yards and fell over. His went 20 and stood for 15 seconds and fell over. Both bullets were recovered on the off side next to the hide. My bullet weighed 297.1gr. after the shot. The guides were impressed by them.

I'm getting great performance on the range with the 300g THOR tipped bullets - looking forward to N AZ elk hunt in November!

I am impressed with them. I use the 250 gr tipped. Killed a cow elk in CO backed with 90gr Blackhorn 209. Use them here in Indiana on whitetails out to 150 yds. If a draw another MZ elk tag I am going with the 300gr version. I hit the cow high and dropped her and had to do a follow up shot, neither bullet passed through at 45 yds but expanded as designed.

In Oregon we have to use the hollow points to hunt but practicing they both seem to shoot the same for me. Great bullets!

View attachment 186914
View attachment 186916
I am messing around with these for my AZ tag. What velocity were you getting from them?

I’m getting 1950fps with 84gr Blackhorn by weight with the 300gr out of a CVA Optima 26” barrel. 1890fps with the same combo in a CVA Wolf 24” barrel. 1” accuracy at 100 yards for both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back