PEAX Equipment

This is what's wrong with hunting.

I am still a little confused over these rules.
Comparing it to the UK, the deer are wild, they aren't owned by anyone whilst they are alive, however, once the die, they become the property of the landowner whose property they died on, 99% of the time the landowner will give permission to find it, but on doing so it's their's to do with as they please, @leec270 is an expert tracker and is often called upon to track wounded deer.
To alleviate this happening there are a lot of hunters in the UK, (not me) who head shoot deer, not ethical in my opinion, boiler room for me, or neck shot at close range.
Seeing it from a non resident alien's point of view surely the private landowner has everything to gain by keeping the meat, or isn't that permitted?
Or by doing so are they just encouraging more hunters to shoot too close to boundaries, I guess that must be the case?
Cheers
Richard

This is me, not getting on my soapbox and derailing a thread about head shooting...you should be proud of me.

Stay off of my land. If you do not think people shoot onto private land when they should not then you are not being realistic. If it gets to my land, it stays until a representative of the law says otherwise. Go ahead and set up your tree stand 10 feet off the fence line. Make sure is a drop and flop shot or dead right there, though. Go ahead and lean up against the fence post while hunting. You should be able to hunt every square inch of your land or public land but not one square inch of mine. I don't expect to knock on your door and ask to go walking around your home, garage, basement and barn. Nor your land. Now, my dog stays on leash or in his dog run so feel free to shoot any dog running your livestock on your property. Along the same line of thinking, keep your dog off my property, too. My land has natural hazards and what might be considered attractive nuisances so is best no one is on my property without permission and permission is not likely. If I do see someone hiking around my property then the assumption is they are coming to harm me, my family or things I own. I do not run a public park nor provide hiking trails or mushroom harvesting opportunities for outsiders. Stay off my land.

Lopehunter's post is a strong statement on individual property rights. Devon and others posted about their perspective on what is humane or best practice for pursuing game. Game doesn't understand property rights, people invented those. If we were all reasonable people we could deal w this as Europe suggested. But we are not, not even close. So we have to make laws and agencies to enforce them.

If a hunter was not stupid or rude in having wounded game die on my property, I'd provide access. If said hunter was rude or stupid I would donate the game to a charity so it would not go to waste. Just as most hunters are respectful and ethical, most landowners are perceptive and reasonable. By focusing on problems created by the exceptions to these 2 groups, we miss an opportunity to endorse and support the good ones, who are in the majority.

Stay off of my land. If you do not think people shoot onto private land when they should not then you are not being realistic. If it gets to my land, it stays until a representative of the law says otherwise. Go ahead and set up your tree stand 10 feet off the fence line. Make sure is a drop and flop shot or dead right there, though. Go ahead and lean up against the fence post while hunting. You should be able to hunt every square inch of your land or public land but not one square inch of mine. I don't expect to knock on your door and ask to go walking around your home, garage, basement and barn. Nor your land. Now, my dog stays on leash or in his dog run so feel free to shoot any dog running your livestock on your property. Along the same line of thinking, keep your dog off my property, too. My land has natural hazards and what might be considered attractive nuisances so is best no one is on my property without permission and permission is not likely. If I do see someone hiking around my property then the assumption is they are coming to harm me, my family or things I own. I do not run a public park nor provide hiking trails or mushroom harvesting opportunities for outsiders. Stay off my land.

Attachments

• 7A8794FE-581B-41AD-93AC-90D5A663CF7F.jpeg
    7A8794FE-581B-41AD-93AC-90D5A663CF7F.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 7
After digesting the video for a couple of days, I feel that it's not so much the content that is sickening, but the tone. Shortly before the YouTube comments were deleted, "featured hunter" Richard Peeples was engaged in a heated back and forth with YouTube user "Justin" who was calling him out for wanton waste. Peeples bragged about "owning or leasing hunting property in 15 states" and "hunting 7-8 of them every year." I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this fellow has some cash, probably more than enough to pay the adjacent landowner to retrieve the wounded elk, or even fly a helicopter or fixed wing aircraft over the ranch to spot his animal. What was actually done? Sit on the road and watch for vultures to show him where the rotting carcass was long after any meat could have been salvaged so he could convince IDGF to let him trespass to cut the bull's horns off, pump his buddy up for his "highest scoring bull", proudly display the rack out of the truck topper, and big smiles to go all around. Matching camo and glam face to boot.

On the bright side, maybe there is enough disgust over this video to sink Mr. Peeples' aspiration of becoming a full time hunting celebrity. Sorry not sorry bro. His "preview" video of this hunt published 7 months ago reads "#sitkagear #mathewsinc #yeti #totalpeep #traegergrills" if there's any doubt of his intentions. @Big Fin in case you have any contacts at Sitka you want to tip off...

I feel that it's not so much the content that is sickening, but the tone.

I agree. I might have had a shred of sympathy had he made the focus of the video about his mistakes. It could have been a warning to others. Instead, he went on about "recovering" his bull and got defensive when questioned.

Maybe somewhat ironically, one of the best FT episodes IMO is the Nevada mule deer hunt where Randy wounds an animal and spends the rest of the trip doing everything possible to recover it. The anguish and lost sleep and regret are all very real and raw. It takes a lot of guts to put something like that out there and say hey, there's no glory in mistakes, but they do happen, and here's an example of how to be ethical and dedicated and respect the game when it happens

I checked his IG (Richard Peeples) and either he is deleting comments there or people arent watching it all the way through. One comment "looks tasty" how ironic. I agree with everything here and this is def one of the top things that is wrong with hunting today. How can you possibly be proud to recover those antlers and call it yours? I hate this guy with a passion for wasting such a precious resource and making content (earning $$$) off of it.

He's probably got cash. I think I've killed elk in that valley, those landowners don't let people hunt for free, if it's the unit I'm thinking.

But it all boils back down to not hunting boundaries with a bow. That's just not intelligent. I get that it's different in the midwest/back east
where you probably know your neighbors middle name. But not out here if you don't have arrangements made beforehand.

I'm not gonna call him names, but I hope that no sponsors will encourage or represent that.

So your telling me i can hunt big bulls in Idaho..... on river bottom... and not have to worry about packing meat... and still take the big antlers home... Sign me up.

#yotalife
#500yardsdeep@5kfeet
#surferlife
#idontneedaYETI
#nomeat
#eatingbrowtines

Haha ironic he had a yeti hat and NO MEAT.... what the fuch

I see so many videos of people daylighting arrows and bullets over the skyline. Lots of video on the web making hunters look bad.

The great LopeHunter

After digesting the video for a couple of days, I feel that it's not so much the content that is sickening, but the tone. Shortly before the YouTube comments were deleted, "featured hunter" Richard Peeples was engaged in a heated back and forth with YouTube user "Justin" who was calling him out for wanton waste. Peeples bragged about "owning or leasing hunting property in 15 states" and "hunting 7-8 of them every year." I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this fellow has some cash, probably more than enough to pay the adjacent landowner to retrieve the wounded elk, or even fly a helicopter or fixed wing aircraft over the ranch to spot his animal. What was actually done? Sit on the road and watch for vultures to show him where the rotting carcass was long after any meat could have been salvaged so he could convince IDGF to let him trespass to cut the bull's horns off, pump his buddy up for his "highest scoring bull", proudly display the rack out of the truck topper, and big smiles to go all around. Matching camo and glam face to boot.

On the bright side, maybe there is enough disgust over this video to sink Mr. Peeples' aspiration of becoming a full time hunting celebrity. Sorry not sorry bro. His "preview" video of this hunt published 7 months ago reads "#sitkagear #mathewsinc #yeti #totalpeep #traegergrills" if there's any doubt of his intentions. @Big Fin in case you have any contacts at Sitka you want to tip off...
That was me. His series of responses really showed his true colors. Unfortunately for him, permanently deleting stuff on the internet is easier said than done. Comments below for your viewing pleasure.

peeples1.JPG
peeples2.JPG

It’s getting closer but it seems like the days get longer the closer we get.

After checking Instagram page I really wish I wouldn’t of. This is going to make me sound like a grumpy old man, but Damn I am tired of this Instagram age.
#sickofit
#idontgiveashitwhosponsersyou
#HuntercoversallgendershuntressjustscreamslookatmybikiniPics

That was me. His series of responses really showed his true colors. Unfortunately for him, permanently deleting stuff on the internet is easier said than done. Comments below for your viewing pleasure.

View attachment 110566
View attachment 110567
So if he shot the bull a mile from the boundary and the same scenario played would you be okay with it? While I agree there was no need to shoot something that close to the boundary without having confirmed permissions what has your thread and YouTube accomplished besides making you both look bad

Is it hunting season yet?

If you can just hold out, only 28 days til "shoulder season"...…………………………………………………………….

Is it hunting season yet?

If you can just hold out, only 28 days til "shoulder season"...…………………………………………………………….
.. 44 days til hunting in the Peaks with my son for a mountain goat. one week from the first 3 day jaunt through with fishing rods.. Less than 30 hunting antelope in WY red desert.

He was "under the impression he had permission to recover game if it crossed". Don't you think you would want to make certain, not just assume?? Couldn't read the rest of the comment but sounds as though he had permission until antelope season started and something changed. Speak to that in the video, make it clear so you don't look like a jack wagon.

The issue I have with this whole thing and I think many others as well, is the story that was told. People make mistakes, stuff goes not as planned, but tell the whole story and own up to your mistakes. I was rather disappointing they showed nothing but the horns at the end. Show the half rotted, bird picked body and make it a lesson for others to learn. The only thing they focused on was "recovering his biggest bull yet".

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back