This is nuts - I didn't even know Italy had Brown Bears...

neffa3

F that.

They also have wolves, >1,500. Spain also has Brown bears in the Pyrenees.

Elkdog

I had no idea they did either. I had to look it up after I saw the story the other day. LOL

SFC B

When stationed in Vicenza I spent quite a bit of time in the Lake Garda area. Beautiful alpine country - the part of the country that use to be Austria (the Trentino) and still has all the signs in both Italian and German. There is a band of wilderness but compared to other nations in the region, a very low amount of game. The Italians will literally shoot at anything moves given the chance.

Europe

The brown bears in Spain are about the size of the black bears in the states. The largest brown bear I have ever seen was in Kamchatka.

Luke the Dog. I agree.

SFC B Approx one year ago you were giving me travel tips for places to see around Lake Garda AND I WISH I WAS THERE RIGHT NOW ! Thanks again, it was a fun trip and beautiful country, but we saw no bears

Randi

The bears on kodiak are nice sized bears also if you dont want to travel all the way to Russia :)

Also the bears Salmonchaser interacts with when guiding his fishing clients are also pretty large, along the Alaska rivers.

I think he didn't fully understand the gravity of the situation and how fast it could go south, just like when you see some goober petting a bison in Yellowstone...
Visitors do some strange things here as well, especially with Bears and Moose