Thinking of elk hunting in Montana?

ridgeghost

If your thinking of hunting in Montana do your homework! And even when you do you might have not done enough. When hunting in the Crazy Mountains there is alot of area that get you into trouble. So if your thinking of hunting there think again.

Assumed I was hunting on Forest Service because I relied on Google maps and my Garmin GPS but found out the boundaries are wrong according to FWP. Still after showing him my GPS wrote me a citation.

The big picture is we hunt because we love it. But all the enjoyment and dreams can be taken away in seconds by the Montana FWP.

I was thinking along different lines of getting in trouble, like getting lost. Was hunting in the crazies this year and a guy "familiar" with the area got lost and separated from his parnter. Had to to take his buddy into clyde park and get help from some locals I knew. As far as private property boundaries, it aint no different than any where else in montana. Better know where you are and whose property you on cus ull get nailed.

ridgeghost, FWP will take away all your enjoyment and dreams when you are doing something wrong. It's their job. I guess you figure they are out to ruin your experience on purpose? mtmuley

Assumed I was hunting on Forest Service because I relied on Google maps and my Garmin GPS but found out the boundaries are wrong according to FWP. Still after showing him my GPS wrote me a citation.
What part of the Crazies were you at? Google maps doesn't show land ownership.

Did your GPS have a mapping program on it?

IMHO if he has a Garmin with a landowner chip there is no way he could trespass unless it was intentional. Without the chip you are asking for problems just going by the map alone. My Wyoming chip was accurate within 15' of every property line shown on my maps when I found survey markers, section line fences, etc., on the ground out there. I would need a lot more information from the OP as to exactly what the situation was before I would badmouth the FWP.

sorry to all out there that think my purpose is to badmouth the FWP. We need those guys out there. I was only throwing out there that it is easy to get on private land without malice. i do have hard feelings about the way i things are marked. my gps said i was within 15' as well. and there was a fence and signs where my gps said there would be private land. i was just telling what happened to me so someone else wouldnt fall into the same situation. as for me i will never hunt montana again even though it is the best hunting

sorry to all out there that think my purpose is to badmouth the FWP. We need those guys out there. I was only throwing out there that it is easy to get on private land without malice. i do have hard feelings about the way i things are marked. my gps said i was within 15' as well. and there was a fence and signs where my gps said there would be private land. i was just telling what happened to me so someone else wouldnt fall into the same situation. as for me i will never hunt montana again even though it is the best hunting

Sorry to hear about your bad experience in the back country.

Why don't you just learn from the experience, suck it up and ensure next time you are right where you need to be and go kill a bull as the icing on the cake for your determination. There is only one saying i am drumming into my older boy (4yo) and that is 'determination, never give up' if he sticks to that he will be ok i reckon.

So you are saying you were on the correct side of the fence and the GPS indicated the same, but the Warden disagreed and wrote you a ticket? What did he say was the boundary?

If people don't know you can find MT landowner info here: http://svc.mt.gov/msl/mtcadastral/

I wonder if there are errors; There are some funny things. For example, section 28 of 3S 1E is not colored indicating private but when you click on it the owner is listed as State of Montana.

That little section of section on the right of 2s 2e, section 22 was shown as BLM on the Forest Service map that I had but the cadestral program lists a private owner.

Which section was it? We should get it straightened out so I don't get busted ;).

How can we not fall into the same situation if we cannot understand what in the heck the situation was?:confused:

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back