Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Thinking about Montana

sigpros

Well after years of figuring Wyoming out I am having trouble getting my son and I tags in the draw. So I have thought about branching out and trying Montana. Open to deer or elk but mainly deer and whitetail is ok we just want to take a trip out west every year if we can. We are also open to chase some does also just to get a hunt in. Looks like I need to buy a preference point here pretty quick. What parts of the state are good to be looking at? We would like to camp and have also looked at coming out for the youth season and stay over into opening of the main season. Thanks for any info fellas

Thanks for any info fellas
Suggest delving into the FWP regulations first, considering what type of terrain you prefer hunting (ie; mountains, hills & plains, river bottoms, etc.), deciding on potential areas (regions / hunting districts) of interest, then coming up with more specific questions for the Hunt Talk crowd.
If you do your homework first, you will get much better and more extensive feedback here.
Good luck to you and your son.

I’ve been on the website pretty regular and trying to figure it all out. I still can’t figure out if my son needs a point bought or not. Hopefully I can call the Fish and Game tomorrow. I didn’t get time today first day back from being out with the covid. I would be leaning more toward deer but dang Montana makes it hard not to go for the combo license. You will already have all the expense of driving out so might as well have both tags. Bad thing is I have a 6’ 127lb 14 year old and I’m pretty sure I’m the worst elk hunter ever. I’m 0-9 in 2 different states. He was teasing me and said I should go ahead with the combo tag and be 0-10 in 3 states. With getting a couple points this looks to be a 2023 trip and my son will be a sophomore then. If I’m understanding right I put in for his youth tag after I draw a tag? Again a phone call should clear it up. I was just posting because we are down to the wire on buying points. I didn’t see points for different tags it just gave me one option

Back