Things to do around casper

duckhunt

Got some unit 73 doe antelope tags. We will be staying in casper. What to do if we tag out early? Any good fishin or sights to check out?

Some of the best trout fishing in the west on the North Platte. Depends on when you'll be there, late October early November you'll get browns running up river on the mile to spawn.

Book a couple of days fly fishing with Tim Starks out of The Ugly Bug Fly Shop in Casper. Truly a GREAT guide and fisherman and truly wonderful human being. One heck of a waterfowl taxidermist too.

Fish the Miracle Mile or Grey Reef sections of the North Platte River. Both are great fisheries.
That's exactly what I did last year after filling my doe tags in 73 what a amazing place to fish also fished Fremont canyon. There's sage grouse in the area as well.

Book a trip with Ugly Bug. I worked there for a summer and they are some of the best people and most knowledgeable guides you can find anywhere. Take a night to go out for cats below the power plant dam near Glenrock. There are some nice fish in there! Oh and grab a breakfast burrito from Panchos... those things are heavenly. I'd also recommend the fishing in Fremont canyon if your more of a DIY guy. Really cool place and some good fishing. Have fun!

Head to Gruner Brothers Brewery to celebrate a quick hunt. 73 also overlaps a good deer area, so you could play around looking for big mule deer bucks while you’re out there.

Go fish. One of the most consistent tailwaters in the west below Grey Reef.

I'd also say check out Fort Caspar. It can be fun and it has a little museum associated with it. Some good hiking on Casper Mountain as well. GO visit the falls, or head east and go up into the Laramies and check out LaPrele Creek and other places like that.

Independence Rock & Martin's Cove together is a good way to spend a day, checking out the history of westward expansion.

Hi all, is Fremont Canyon a good spot for shore fishing with spincasting gear without waders? I’m going to unit 73 in October this fall and would love to catch a trout or two once the antelope hunt is finished. Thanks!

Hi all, is Fremont Canyon a good spot for shore fishing with spincasting gear without waders? I’m going to unit 73 in October this fall and would love to catch a trout or two once the antelope hunt is finished. Thanks!

Yes

I will echo the "Yes". Only wanted to add watch for snakes...there are plenty of them around there.

I will echo the "Yes". Only wanted to add watch for snakes...there are plenty of them around there.
Thanks. That brings me to another question I’ve been wondering about. As someone from the north with no dangerous snakes around, what should I know about snakes while hunting antelope and fishing around Casper? E.g. should we be wearing gaiters at all times, etc.?

Thanks. That brings me to another question I’ve been wondering about. As someone from the north with no dangerous snakes around, what should I know about snakes while hunting antelope and fishing around Casper? E.g. should we be wearing gaiters at all times, etc.?
Out in the prairie just watch your step. I don't see any need for gaiters or snake boots or anything. Otherwise don't go sticking your appendages in places you can't see. They like shade and cool rocks on hot days so just keep that in mind.

I got a Buddy that has lived there his whole life. I been there about 4 times.Other than Hunting and fishing I'd say drink watch fat girls and then drink some more till they look Good...LOL............BOB!

The fishing looks awesome out there. No first hand experience but the North Platte looks like it should be full of fish. Sniper School says there's a ratty strip club there that he "had a beer" in on his way through town. He's a connoisseur of adult entertainment - Kinda like a Yelp for that stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back