Thermal Scopes during daylight

Does hunting with a thermal scope during daylight provide an advantage? Only vote if you own one!!!

• All the time

• Most times

• Sometimes

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.

seeth07

Topic came up on another thread where the poster felt it was unfair to hunt elk with a thermal scope. My argument would be that for elk hunting, almost every scenario the hunter would actually be at a disadvantage using a thermal scope on their rifle over a high powered quality optic scope.

I have taken my thermal off my gun and carried it around to scan grasses and cattails during the rifle deer season here in WI and that has been the only scenario where I can think of it being an aid. I've been able to find deer that otherwise would have been difficult to see (although not impossible with some good bino). The deer I've spotted in this type of scenario have been within 200 yards so it's not like I'm spotting them from a very long distance. At least my thermal isn't very easy to see heat spots beyond 400 yards, even on the amount of heat from a deer sized animal.

Topic came up on another thread where the poster felt it was unfair to hunt elk with a thermal scope. My argument would be that for elk hunting, almost every scenario the hunter would actually be at a disadvantage using a thermal scope on their rifle over a high powered quality optic scope.

Since it was my post, please quote where I implied or said unfair.

Well regardless of how you personally feel about the topic, based on other comments that followed it seemed like I had created a debate that didn't belong in that thread anymore.

Do I have to wait until 30 minutes before sunrise to hike in? Do I need to be at the trailhead by 30 after sunset?

Great debate though.;)

I'll play.

Ran into some hunters this fall who had thermal imaging devices not on their gun.
Thermal monocular or binocular. I had been scanning a hillside I'm very familiar with for approx 15 mins in the daylight and had not seen anything yet.
They pull up and in about 30 seconds get a thermal reading some 800 yards away. They put away the thermal and then pull out the alpha glass on tripods to identify their thermal reading.
Chatted with them for a bit as they were really nice guys. Even showed me video of some very impressive deer they had spotted using their thermal imaging during the day.
Claimed that sometimes even with two or three of them set up with their alpha glass that it would take 10-15 mins to finally see what their thermals picked up in seconds.
Automatically my mind went to Greenhorn and the increased ability of that lucky bastard to pick out yoga girls and nude sunbathers while hunting/scouting If he had one at his disposal.
Guess I don't know what the advantage of having a thermal for big game hunting would be.

I'll play.

Ran into some hunters this fall who had thermal imaging devices not on their gun.
Thermal monocular or binocular. I had been scanning a hillside I'm very familiar with for approx 15 mins in the daylight and had not seen anything yet.
They pull up and in about 30 seconds get a thermal reading some 800 yards away. They put away the thermal and then pull out the alpha glass on tripods to identify their thermal reading.
Chatted with them for a bit as they were really nice guys. Even showed me video of some very impressive deer they had spotted using their thermal imaging during the day.
Claimed that sometimes even with two or three of them set up with their alpha glass that it would take 10-15 mins to finally see what their thermals picked up in seconds.
Automatically my mind went to Greenhorn and the increased ability of that lucky bastard to pick out yoga girls and nude sunbathers while hunting/scouting If he had one at his disposal.
Guess I don't know what the advantage of having a thermal for big game hunting would be.
Interesting. I suppose there are different levels of quality for thermals. My pulsar was about 2k and it certainly is extry level as they can get as pricey as 10k or even more. I have used it out west before scanning hillsides and I have never been able to spot anything yet using it while the binos scanning afterwards I have. For my thermal, heat images beyond 400 yards are just hard to pick up.

These are porcupines at 470 yards with my Bering optics super hogster. It’s a horrible picture as I didn’t NUC my scope before taking it. I can pick up cattle at a mile or more 0082404C-171E-463A-9734-05ECE12DF8B4.jpeg

These are porcupines at 470 yards with my Bering optics super hogster. It’s a horrible picture as I didn’t NUC my scope before taking it. I can pick up cattle at a mile or more View attachment 209810
I have the super hogster as well. I put it on a geissele super duty. Do you like the battery pouch on the butt stock or the one for pic rails assuming you have it on an AR platform? Just curious

I have the super hogster as well. I put it on a geissele super duty. Do you like the battery pouch on the butt stock or the one for pic rails assuming you have it on an AR platform? Just curious
I’ve actually got it on a howa mini 223 ackley. I’ll take a picture of how I how have it setup when I get home. Have a tikka 22-250 that I’m going to put it on for next year

I’ve actually got it on a howa mini 223 ackley. I’ll take a picture of how I how have it setup when I get home. Have a tikka 22-250 that I’m going to put it on for next year
That would be great. I have an hs precision 22-250 with a 1-12” twist mine might end up on. I’d like to see how you set yours up for the bolt rifle. Thanks for the reply.

Would be illegal in Pennsylvania for anything but furbearer hunting, even during daylight and even if detached from the firearm.

I'd suspect it's illegal to use in the manner you guys have described in plenty of other states as well.

That would be great. I have an hs precision 22-250 with a 1-12” twist mine might end up on. I’d like to see how you set yours up for the bolt rifle. Thanks for the reply.
I bought a rail for my howa mini and just turned it around and cut off the extra. Use the rear bag with a piece of foam under it as a cheek riser that has a pouch where I store my battery.

FF3DEA5B-F877-4972-B1A9-30F8A1656F79.jpegF7EED979-9192-4BB9-93DA-8E6816A4137C.jpeg24CD86DA-2C73-459B-A949-8DE8B645569F.jpeg

Sorry for the derail of the thread

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back