Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Thermacell

Rainer

Has anyone tried hunting with one of these on? I'm kinda sceptical about if they actually work as well as they say they do. The bugs this Spring were brutal so anything would help

They will not work well if you are moving. They were developed for use in stands and they are amazing. We really tested them doing damage control work around mosquito-infested areas on my neighbor's farm and they are nearly 100 percent effective in a static position. They are also great on the patio, if you have mosquito problems. They supposedly also work for black flies.

I will not walk into these NC mosquito infested woods without one. They absolutely work. As for whether or not it effects deer, the way I look at it is, there's a 25% chance that the wind will drift in their direction ...or I will be swatting mosquitos and there's almost 100% of them catching my movement.
But like mentioned above, it doesn't work if you're moving.
Also, don't put yours where you're breathing the fumes too much (inside a blind) It'll give you a headache.

I second what these guys are saying. But, here in Louisiana the mosquitoes are pretty bad in the swampy stuff I hunt. During squirrel (fall) and turkey (spring) I usually will clip it to my left sholder stap of my vest as I am right handed. It keeps them off my face when I am moving and stop briefly and will do the same as these guys say when stationary. I don't like to hunt without it. In a stand it works even better. As for deer I play the wind, so if one busts me from down wind I cant tell yes or no wether it was me or the thermacell.

I will not walk into these NC mosquito infested woods without one. They absolutely work. As for whether or not it effects deer, the way I look at it is, there's a 25% chance that the wind will drift in their direction ...or I will be swatting mosquitos and there's almost 100% of them catching my movement.
But like mentioned above, it doesn't work if you're moving.
Also, don't put yours where you're breathing the fumes too much (inside a blind) It'll give you a headache.

I will second the headache thing. I found out the hard way, when I laid it on my dashboard.

Thanks guys, I went and ordered one. I found one on sale for $8.99, anything is worth a try

I've never heard that before. Wonder why? They work great in MS and I don't hunt without one until the weather cools off.
My guess is the little flame thingy doesn't like the less dense O2 and it doesn't burn/heat up correctly. I've read reports of some canister backpacking stoves (Jetboil, etc) not working at elevation.

My guess is the little flame thingy doesn't like the less dense O2 and it doesn't burn/heat up correctly. I've read reports of some canister backpacking stoves (Jetboil, etc) not working at elevation.

Makes sense. I've never need one during elk season anyway.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back