There are easier elk….

Nambaster

Every time I buy this tag I am second guessing what I am getting into. As soon as I hit the trail head I realize that I am biting off more than I should. I have to pack all my gear to stay out for at least a week. I have to plan all my days and trips carefully so that I always have access to water to filter and stay hydrated. For the first time ever I got a little bit of help packing out my elk and it still felt daunting. I must be getting too old for it. My success ratio is 100% for bulls and I am 4 for 4 now, but the amount of work packing elk out of such treacherous terrain is so hard to justify. Everyone that I encounter says the same thing:
“there are easier elk to be had”

Year after year somehow I am always drawn back and the pain of previous years just fades away. I already want to go back and do it again.

Attachments

• 479FEDA7-3074-4FB6-8C0C-C88136274ACE.jpeg
    479FEDA7-3074-4FB6-8C0C-C88136274ACE.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 218
  • 7A1705FA-E5BC-4E83-B816-47682003A610.jpeg
    7A1705FA-E5BC-4E83-B816-47682003A610.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 217
Every time I buy this tag I am second guessing what I am getting into. As soon as I hit the trail head I realize that I am biting off more than I should. I have to pack all my gear to stay out for at least a week. I have to plan all my days and trips carefully so that I always have access to water to filter and stay hydrated. For the first time ever I got a little bit of help packing out my elk and it still felt daunting. I must be getting too old for it. My success ratio is 100% for bulls and I am 4 for 4 now, but the amount of work packing elk out of such treacherous terrain is so hard to justify. Everyone that I encounter says the same thing:
“there are easier elk to be had”

Year after year somehow I am always drawn back and the pain of previous years just fades away. I already want to go back and do it again.
Sounds like women describing childbirth. Lots of pain at moments but ready to do it again. Glad we get to continue elk hunting instead!

I am usually a solo hunter for elk, deer, and everything else. Totally understand your description of your hunt. I've been doing this for 40+ years and looking forward to the next season is what keeps me going every day.

I might make a suggestion. Post a request for a hunting partner on this site. I responded to a new elk hunter this year looking for someone to partner with on this site. Turned out to be great for both of us. I knew where the elk were and he had that enthusiasm only a new hunter can have before packing out their first elk. lol One day we won't be able to second guess ourselves. Instead we'll be wishing we could go just one more time.

Until that day occurs for us, I wish you the most success as I make the same journey from a different trailhead!

Good story. I guess I'm not old enough yet to want easier elk yet. I still enjoy the misery of shooting one right at dark, breaking it down in the dark, either running out of water or it freezing up on me, and making the truck as I watch the sun rise. It makes the memories that much more memorable.

Good story. I guess I'm not old enough yet to want easier elk yet. I still enjoy the misery of shooting one right at dark, breaking it down in the dark, either running out of water or it freezing up on me, and making the truck as I watch the sun rise. It makes the memories that much more memorable.
All of that and the well known miracle of how a dry bread, peanut butter & jelly sandwich becomes gourmet food at the end of the long trek to the truck! lol

Great bull and looks like rough conditions. Amazing how the tough time fades until it’s time to do it again

Awesome work in what looks like steep, beautiful country. As they say, "Easy doesn't."

Congrats on another bull! I love the kind of places nobody else wants to go in. Hard to find good holes like that.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back