The Weekend In Pictures

sreekers

First let me start off apologizing for the size of the pics, and once again Del can you resize them for me.

Went to my favorite camping spot in Wyoming this past weekend. We were supposed to go there over Memorial Day weekend but at that point it was still snowmachine access only. Well the extra water is great, and I haven't seen that valley that green in years.

We had a great trip and I got to spend some time with my family and one of my best friends. My sister and I tend to bring out the goofy side of each other so bear with me being goofy in the one picture.

The boat is my friends but in honor of the "Crocodile Hunter" we have named it "The Dingy" after Steve Irwins boat that he dived in after crocs. Great trip and hope all of you have been able to get out a bit this summer too.

Attachments

• GRL1.jpg
    GRL1.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 234
  • GRL2.jpg
    GRL2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 234
  • GRL3.jpg
    GRL3.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 229
  • GRL4.jpg
    GRL4.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 230
  • GRL5.jpg
    GRL5.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 230
Here are the last two pics. The lake was nearly glass the entire trip, awesome weather. Sorry that some of them are a little grainy.

The camper is my parents, I think its the best investment they have made in a long time.

Attachments

• GRL6.jpg
    GRL6.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 232
  • GRL7.jpg
    GRL7.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 231
Nice country there Scott. Were there a lot of people there? I sure miss the upper green country. One of these days I'll own me a cabin and you'll find me wasting the time at "The place".

Say Hi to Travis for me, I haven't seen him in years. Heard he got a job at questar now. Seems like everyone I know works there now.

PS the ridge behind the boat pic is where I shot my buck last fall. Slag and I saw two monsters there last fall.

Ernesto

Great pictures and some good lakers to put on the grill.Looks like an awesome time was had.

Nesto,
Travis and I were talking about that. We are dieing to go and do some backcountry deer hunting up there.

Scott,
A backcountry hunt would be awesome in that unit. Like I said I had that tag last year and I went in the backcountry a lot scouting. The numbers of deer were low as expected but I did see some nice bucks. The bad thing (or good) about that unit is by the time the hunt opens all of the deer have dropped a lot in elevation. Here is a pic I took at 11k feet. In the pic theres a buck bedded down in the little trees in the bottom right. By the time the hunt open there were NO deer in that canyon.
bsheep1.jpg

Here is the pic of the buck bedded, you can see him in the first pic if you look closely

bshp2.jpg

I personally think its the best deer tag (not unit) in the state. Too bad David Long from Eastmans Journal finally found out about it. He did a write up on it this year. Last fall on that hunt there were over 6 bucks killed that scored over 200". Tough to find areas like that these days with 20-30 percent odds of drawing. Now that eastmans told everyone about it the odds will drop to 3-5 percent. The buck I was after died after the hunt and has been floating around in emails. Some say its a wolf kill some say it was wounded. But it scored in the 230's nontypical. I had him in my sights opening morning at about 300 yards but didn't take the shot. It ruined my hunt not getting him. Looking back I feel lucky to even have a shot at a buck like that. The nice part about it was I beat a MMs.com member up to where the buck was so at least he didn't get "THE GHOST" as he called it. Thats a whole 'nother story though.

I have two really good friends with this tag this year, it will be probably the last time I get to go on a hunt in that unit. I will give up my fall hunting plans just to go with them. A couple bucks made it through the hunt that will be monsters this year. Maybe I will have better luck helping a friend and next time if the buck is 300 yards away they will take the shot instead of "waiting to get closer". Ha Ha.

Its also a great elk unit. I could of shot 3 different bulls opening day in the 330-360 range. Heres a couple pics I took. The one through the spotting scope was during my backcountry scouting. The next one was opening day. I saw around 300 elk opening day. Funny thing was I don't think a elk was killed opening day lol. So many road hunters in that unit.

212.jpg

elkonlittlelamb.jpg

Image is blurry cuz i was still shaking after seeing that buck opening day lol. In the top left of the pic is where the big bulls were. WAY away from the herd of cows raghorns and small 6 pts.

Later on in the season we saw 400 elk heading out of the highcountry. All of a sudden they scattered. Outfitter shot the biggest bull in the group. If you send me your email addy I'll show you a pic of it.

Ernesto

P. S. I drew a little moutain (unit 31) bull tag and I'm not going to use it because I'm going to help my buddies with that deer tag. 12 years of putting in for it and I finally draw it AFTER i move away. What is the luck of that?

Nesto,
[email protected]

I didn't draw either of my choices for elk and deer. I think I may try and convince Travis to go after that tag next year then. Even with the Eastmans screwing it up. How is the new place you are calling home?

Ernesto i want you to send me that picture of that bull! You are right about the Eastmans! Scott looks like i missed out this trip. Who drew those deers tags for you to give up your south tag?

Just like Arizona in the summer time except when you catch fish down here, they are already cooked!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back