The veil has been opened! 1/11

Cherry popped!!

Congratulations and happy eating. My wife says the backstrap from the sous vide and seared is the best steak she’s ever had.
So that’s where the punishment of my ugly rodeo is. While it was tough to see him suffer, I also realized that I shot out the tenderloins and a fist sized shot of the backstraps. I was happy to salvage what I had left. Ribs, legs, backstraps, neck and what little flanks he had were salvaged. I would guess after I debone him that I would get 20lbs optimistically.

Skull was prepped for euro mount and meat is still on bone dangling in the windy shade of my truck tailgate. Waiting for more gloves and will debone him tonight and pack the cooler tomorrow morning.

Way to go! I had a ten year dry spell that I ended in 2017. It was nice to get that monkey off my back! My confidence in shooting and hunting went back to where I needed it after that!

That’s awesome! Congrats. It’s all gravy from here. Pronghorn is on my list in the next few years.

I am happy for your success! You achieved your goal and that’s what matters. This is also a great event to justify to your spouse why you should buy another muzzle loader.

Congratulations on your first big game animal. Way to stick with hopefully you’ve opened up the flood gates and the good luck persist.

Weather was windy yesterday and super cool this morning. I opted to leave the bones in since they were very cold. I cut the hooves off and finished removing whatever little hide was left, and cut the dirt off of some legs I accidentally spilled on. I loaded my cooler with 11 jugs of water and 5 full bags of pronghorn meat. It’ll sit there for 36 hours until I get it in the freezer. I got some beef fat on call at my grocery store and a new meat grinder for the occasion. He’ll turn into ground pronghorn, one shoulder roast, filet mignon and birria tacos. If I can get 15 lbs of meat off of him, I’ll have enough meat for two months with my current supply of bison and deer.

Next two weekends are more pronghorn hunts, but now I have a rifle and I’m in Wyoming. Good for any pronghorn. Sure would be nice to have another….

Weather was windy yesterday and super cool this morning. I opted to leave the bones in since they were very cold. I cut the hooves off and finished removing whatever little hide was left, and cut the dirt off of some legs I accidentally spilled on. I loaded my cooler with 11 jugs of water and 5 full bags of pronghorn meat. It’ll sit there for 36 hours until I get it in the freezer. I got some beef fat on call at my grocery store and a new meat grinder for the occasion. He’ll turn into ground pronghorn, one shoulder roast, filet mignon and birria tacos. If I can get 15 lbs of meat off of him, I’ll have enough meat for two months with my current supply of bison and deer.

Next two weekends are more pronghorn hunts, but now I have a rifle and I’m in Wyoming. Good for any pronghorn. Sure would be nice to have another….
Mine opens in a few weeks still. Good luck! They are rutting up pretty well. Most does have a buck with them. I think you'll do great. I wouldnt shoot the first one you see unless its a descent buck.

Been out of pocket the last few days was very excited to see your updat. Congratulations man and welcome to the club!

We made it back home. I spent the afternoon butchering the animal. I was able to salvage all four quarters, trim meat and some loose flanks for birria. My wife and I seared a slice of the backstraps. Had an odd metallic taste like gunpowder almost. We seasoned it with salt and pepper and olive oil but wasn’t too satisfied with the taste. I haven’t packed anything yet, might consider a salt brine before it is frozen.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back