MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

The veil has been opened! 1/11

What's impossible???😂 All kidding aside it was the hardest hunt I've ever done and I just got lucky lol View attachment 289978View attachment 289979View attachment 289980
Cheated somehow, probably.
@perma got a big velvet buck spotted?
Depends on what you define as “big” I guess. This unit doesn’t produce big bucks, but maybe in the 160” range. I know of a nice big 3-point buck and a deep 2-point that I’m going to follow around. They like to border the private land there. Took me 3 months to find them.

Cheated somehow, probably.

Depends on what you define as “big” I guess. This unit doesn’t produce big bucks, but maybe in the 160” range. I know of a nice big 3-point buck and a deep 2-point that I’m going to follow around. They like to border the private land there. Took me 3 months to find them.
No, jus finally got lucky after id wore the skin off my knees.
I'd be happy with a 160"! Hope you get one!!

Yeah I'm kidding, that's a hell of a feat. Pretty buck to show for it as well.

Thanks, I'd be happy with that deep fork buck too! They're way cooler IMO.
Nothing like a big fork horn! I tried and tried to kill one a few years back. Never did get him killed. Blew a stalk at 50 yards cuz I didn't see a doe and she picked me out.

SOunds like a good time! I've never archery hunted pronghorn but have tagged along with a few folks. The beauty is that you now know you can get within 200 yards of them, which is (usually) a lay up rifle shot. Sure, they get a little more skittish during rifle season but not by much IME.

Alright so there are two thinks apparent to me.
1. I am much better at figuring out how to play the pressure of a unit.
2. I have no idea how to hunt mule deer.

More on the second: I have hunted whitetails for the past 4 years. Flung an arrow at one and flew over her shoulder. That’s as close as I’ve ever got to bagging a big game animal. Never ever went mule deer hunting. I was supposed to go with my dad last year, and I did, but I got lucky on a tag for elk in the same unit and so that’s where my brain was.

Friday night I decided to make a late run and go scout and glass a really good spot I know held deer and elk. I get up to the top, get rained on and see a giant six point bull bachelored up. I also saw a doe running a tree line on the bottom. Unfortunately all on private. No big deal, I found deer, right?!

Next day, I got my dad with me and we get to the same spot at dark. Some frog took my spot and I can see their headlights on my knob. Whatever, I got something else. I drove up the road and to my surprise I bump 6 does. I actually tried to make a play on them but they were all gone when I got down the canyon. I park on top of the hill I’m on and glassed two spike elk and a large doe, a yearling and a forkie. Bingo.

I go in for the forkie but I’m greeted by a swamp at the bottom of this hill. I try to navigate on but I for sure need waders. Those deer got me good. To my surprise, I also saw a cow moose and her calf. Never knew this place held moose but to my surprise there were two.

We get back the same night and we got caught in a pretty intimidating thunderstorm. Lightning strikes above my head and heavy rain. I’m thinking to myself, “I am making terrible judgement calls”. And at that time, the only thing that was making me feel better was some jackass blowing his oil funnel bugle tube trying to chuckle in the middle of it all.

The storm eventually passed and we glassed until more rain came. Again, all elk no deer.

Now today was amazing. Single best hunting day I’ve ever had. Sadly, no tags were filled but I got to witness elk being elk. This one deserves its own post.

I get to another good spot with no human presence before first light. We get out and walk 100 yards off the road to clear some trees. I start to glass and find some elk on private. To my surprise, an hour later, 50 or so elk skyline this hill.

Today, I saw the biggest bull I’ve ever laid eyes on in the wild.

To my surprise, there was a bit of rutting activity. He was chasing cows, he let out one bugle, he was chasing off raghorns. He was a sight to see.

“You know, we’re supposed to be mule deer hunting”, I told my dad. He smirked which usually means oh well, enjoy the sight.

We got to watch this harem for an hour until they created a hill and walked off. It was truly magnificent. I feel bad for telling you the story and you not being there, readers. For those who witnessed this before, you know what I’m talking about. For those who haven’t yet, get out there and try. It’s worth ruining a day of deer hunting.

Wyoming grows those bulls big.

Attachments

• IMG_0618.jpeg
    IMG_0618.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0614.jpeg
    IMG_0614.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0605.jpeg
    IMG_0605.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0600.jpeg
    IMG_0600.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0599.jpeg
    IMG_0599.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0611.jpeg
    IMG_0611.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0613.jpeg
    IMG_0613.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 54
Looks like you have some Nebraska terrain to help out. Nice job! Heck of a trophy. Hopefully your wife is next with her cow tag.
I’ve burnt so may $37 tags on goats it isn’t funny. I just love the all day stalking. The poor goat in the picture heard me trying to sneak up to get a 40 yard shot and walked to within 15 yards. I call him Ray Charles. That goat along with my 2nd season otc Colorado barley legal bull are amongst my 2 top trophies.

Experience tops score every time. If it doesn’t, yore not a hunter.

I’ve burnt so may $37 tags on goats it isn’t funny. I just love the all day stalking. The poor goat in the picture heard me trying to sneak up to get a 40 yard shot and walked to within 15 yards. I call him Ray Charles. That goat along with my 2nd season otc Colorado barley legal bull are amongst my 2 top trophies.

Experience tops score every time. If it doesn’t, yore not a hunter.
Hell yeah, its always the experience. I am the king of raghorns, forkies, and 13" goats!

Time flies, my friends.

Ever since I’ve moved back to the west, my calendar has been full. Family gatherings, scouting trips, funerals, work stuff. I woke up at 4 this morning for a meeting for work and happened to look at my calendar. I leave in exactly two weeks for my pronghorn hunt in CO.

If ANY of my tags drawn lead to something good, this is the one that a lot of people are looking at. Technically, it should be a slam dunk because of my land access but I made it fair by using a muzzleloader.

This weekend is my final archery deer hunt, next week is my one and only archery elk hunt, then the bow is put away for the year. Guns in hand from 9/20 to 1/31.

Probably will finish sighting in this week and take some shots at 400 yards with my rifle. Then, we ready.

Well shoot I forgot to post last week and here we are this weekend….

Last week was funny. My wife tagged along, her first come along of the year. We found the following animals:

Deer (does)
Elk
Turkeys
Black bear
Ravens
Coyotes x3
Pronghorn

But what did we not find? Bucks. Hardly anything noteworthy of a buck I should say. We heard some trees cracking in a patch of pines behind us. I nocked an arrow just in case but didn’t really go far cuz I wanted to glass. Five minutes later a forkie with a decent gap shot out, snorted and took off.

You mothe&$)*#£%….

Oh well, I’m trying to not shoot a forkie. This unit wasn’t affected by the winter as bad as others but they didn’t get SoCal weather either. I respect that buck for making it, so he’s free. Come rifle season, it may be a different discussion. We’ll see.

Tomorrow is dove hunting. No idea where to go but there’s some WIA near me that I’m going to try out. Sunday is a single day elk hunt. Hoping to learn the area some more. Doubt I’ll see anything but you never know..

Also did some shooting last week and this week. Finally had a chance to stretch my rifle I built out to 400 yards. I hate that it loves those Noslers but when you hit a bullseye at 400 in a windstorm, it’s hard to argue the results. I got a box and a half left so that’s what’s going to be the gun this year.

My muzzleloader, on the other hand, has been a brat. I had that thing zeroed at 125. Went to shoot it and it acted as if I was taking a 200 yard shot. Way too high. Frustrated because I ran out of powder, I ran home and reloaded and cleaned the gun. Now I’m 0 at 125 but I’m way left. Turns out, I caught myself pulling the gun when I squeeze the trigger. Truth be told, the gun is not very comfortable because the LOP is too short for my liking. With a relaxed hand, it takes my second finger knuckle to squeeze it. Not good. Ordered a recoil pad that adds an inch and it acts like a new gun now. The last groups were 3” apart at 125 but were within an 8” target and one was a bullseye with open sights so I think it’s okay.

Thursday is partly cloudy in CO. That day is resonating with me all week. Happens to also be my birthday week. Wouldn’t it be a great thing to take my first big game animal, at my roots, on my birthday..

Welcome to the panic room.

I opted to not hunt this weekend. I’m in my own head and I hate it. I ran out of powder and bullets so I made a visit to a gun store to get powder and ordered some bullets. Because it’s a new bottle and pack, I wanted to go resight in. To my surprise, at 100 yards, my muzzy is 2” low. Now I get that new packages come with different builds, but a 5” difference is cryptic.

I don’t know if shooting off of a bipod on a metal bench was causing my issues but I have 1.5” groups at 3” above 100 yards again. If history repeats itself, I would be way high at 125 yards prone, because that’s how this ended up last time. Frantic, I called my dad and explained my situation. He lectured me that I shouldn’t even be using a bipod on a metal bench and that the bounce of the barrel will cause issues like what I am describing. I knew that going in, but the last time I sighted it in, I was on bags.

I think what my plan is that I’ll go back to my range and shoot off-hand and on my backpack. Dad said to just leave it and you’ll be good. But fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice….

Anyway, I got some jugs for ice yesterday and I loaded 25 shots of black powder for the trip. I leave this week to start the gun season.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back