The veil has been opened! 1/11

I’m glad your scouting has been fruitful and eventful in many ways. Also, Thank you for your continued dedication to this thread. These updates live hunts are the best of HT.

I had a loose scouting trip planned for my WY pronghorn hunt this weekend but my wife has a family friend coming over, so I don’t think it’ll work out. I ended up picking up some arrows for the occasion. And because my fletching is ruined on my other ones. Aaaand I only have two after practicing.

Regardless, scouting season is over for me. It’s hunting season next week. My long awaited return to the west is done, and now it’s time to bear the fruit of those efforts to get back here.

First stop, Wyoming archery pronghorn!

No luck today, but had some opportunities. This is my first public land pronghorn hunt, and what a way to break it in.

I got there before first light without scouting the area physically. I was first greeted by 20 head of moo cows. I slid past the gate and started making my way to a knob I wanted to glass off of. I’m half way there and I find my first buck. I decide to get to a hillside to wait for the sun so I can sneak down and around to get a good wind. I must’ve been too early because they saw me and got out of there. Yes, they. There was 5 others following the one.

They didn’t trot too far so I decided to let them crest. I started walking down some more and found some does and one really stellar buck. Wind and sun were not favorable so I decided to just move in closer. My bachelor group showed up and were heading towards me again. I was sure they didn’t see me so I slipped back and rounded the base of a hill. As soon and I got to the other side, boom, gone. I laughed.

I had to go to the bathroom but left my tickets in the truck so I started heading back. As I always do, I glass towards my truck and there’s a single buck. Biggest one of the day. Finally, the sun is right and the wind is in my face. I’m going in, I can hold it.

I found a hill and recheck. He’s actually coming towards me. Sadly, I glass to my right and found two hooligans setting up a target stand. About 500 yards from the buck. Within 5 minutes, the place was shot up and that buck ran off.

I came back that night to try and relocate him, nothing.

Oh well, still had a lot of fun. And there’s always tomorrow!

Attachments

• IMG_0556.jpeg
    IMG_0556.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0557.jpeg
    IMG_0557.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0558.jpeg
    IMG_0558.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0559.jpeg
    IMG_0559.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0560.jpeg
    IMG_0560.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 71417650997__A8B37B3E-F746-4B2C-ABA9-6B29505392F5.jpeg
    71417650997__A8B37B3E-F746-4B2C-ABA9-6B29505392F5.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0562.jpeg
    IMG_0562.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 16
Mine broke pulling back on a pronghorn at 40 yards. Still dont carry an extra 🤣
I never had anything happen to me personally that would warrant me to carry a second. It’s just the simple fact that I don’t trust myself to not forget it on a rock. I’m that kind of person, so I try to save me from myself from time to time.

Had just as much fun today as yesterday. Decided to not go out this evening. I have a business trip to Cali this week and wouldn’t have much confidence that I’d be able to care for the meat. Again, this is my first big game harvest, so trying to give myself enough hours to properly care for my second only butcher job.

I started in a new area since I thought my bachelors were bumped yesterday. I get there on sunrise on the dot. I glassed the first mile from my truck bed and turned up zero. I opted to take a walk to see over a hill line that I couldn’t glass over. Guess who was waiting for me?

All six of them were in a different arroyo, only 500 yards from me. Sun was to my side but wind in my face, time to creep in. Well, that was until one spotted me and locked me in. There’s not much terrain details to cover from so they were gone. I decided to go over there to see what was up. That arroyo had some standing water and very green vegetation and flower. No wonder.

I sat in the arroyo for an hour and decided to pack up and go walk around. I ended up bumping into a reservoir that holds a ton of water. The wildlife there have been using it frequently, so my new plan for next week is to set up a blind.

I hate blind hunting, but I think that’s what it’s going to take. Unless I get a moo cow decoy.

Anyway, on my way back I walked through a valley and happened to look on a hillside. I was 300 yards away from the biggest buck I saw all weekend. He was bedded half way up with the wind sweeping from behind. He was in a perfect spot for protection.

I ditched my pack and started to stalk in. I went in at an angle and got him at 80 yards. I don’t know how, but he alerted and saw me from behind. I tried to range him and got between 80-85. My bow is ready for that range but that would have been the farthest shot I’ve taken and haven’t practiced for. I full drew on him after I stuck my hat inside out (white on the inside) hoping he’d come close but he took off. Before he rounded, I ranged him at 192 yards.

I thought he may go over the hill so I unnocked my arrow and ran to the top of the hill full sprint. I went over two bumps and he was still at the base. I ranged him at 151. Wind was blowing to him, he took off within 30 seconds. I kneeled down and watched him go out of my life.

I have no idea how he saw me but he was a huge buck full of life experience. Smarter than me that’s for sure. But that was the closest I’ve ever got to a pronghorn so I’m fulfilled.

Tune in next weekend friends. We’re going Midwest tactics.

Had just as much fun today as yesterday. Decided to not go out this evening. I have a business trip to Cali this week and wouldn’t have much confidence that I’d be able to care for the meat. Again, this is my first big game harvest, so trying to give myself enough hours to properly care for my second only butcher job.

I started in a new area since I thought my bachelors were bumped yesterday. I get there on sunrise on the dot. I glassed the first mile from my truck bed and turned up zero. I opted to take a walk to see over a hill line that I couldn’t glass over. Guess who was waiting for me?

All six of them were in a different arroyo, only 500 yards from me. Sun was to my side but wind in my face, time to creep in. Well, that was until one spotted me and locked me in. There’s not much terrain details to cover from so they were gone. I decided to go over there to see what was up. That arroyo had some standing water and very green vegetation and flower. No wonder.

I sat in the arroyo for an hour and decided to pack up and go walk around. I ended up bumping into a reservoir that holds a ton of water. The wildlife there have been using it frequently, so my new plan for next week is to set up a blind.

I hate blind hunting, but I think that’s what it’s going to take. Unless I get a moo cow decoy.

Anyway, on my way back I walked through a valley and happened to look on a hillside. I was 300 yards away from the biggest buck I saw all weekend. He was bedded half way up with the wind sweeping from behind. He was in a perfect spot for protection.

I ditched my pack and started to stalk in. I went in at an angle and got him at 80 yards. I don’t know how, but he alerted and saw me from behind. I tried to range him and got between 80-85. My bow is ready for that range but that would have been the farthest shot I’ve taken and haven’t practiced for. I full drew on him after I stuck my hat inside out (white on the inside) hoping he’d come close but he took off. Before he rounded, I ranged him at 192 yards.

I thought he may go over the hill so I unnocked my arrow and ran to the top of the hill full sprint. I went over two bumps and he was still at the base. I ranged him at 151. Wind was blowing to him, he took off within 30 seconds. I kneeled down and watched him go out of my life.

I have no idea how he saw me but he was a huge buck full of life experience. Smarter than me that’s for sure. But that was the closest I’ve ever got to a pronghorn so I’m fulfilled.

Tune in next weekend friends. We’re going Midwest tactics.
I have found spot and stalk archery pronghorn to be the most difficult western hunt... for myself anyway. I have only suceeded once so far with hundreds of blown stalks. I seem to get to the 100-80 yard range and suffer the same fate of them running out of my life... kinda reminds me of my 2 ex-wives hahah. Irs a lot easier to trick their noses than their eyesight. I believe they have 300-315 degrees of visibility due to their skull shape, making it ultra difficult without an obstical between you. Such a blast to hunt though. Good luck, ill be following. Im also chasing them around Wyoming right now. Blew my best chance yesterday at 256 yards.

I have found spot and stalk archery pronghorn to be the most difficult western hunt... for myself anyway. I have only suceeded once so far with hundreds of blown stalks. I seem to get to the 100-80 yard range and suffer the same fate of them running out of my life... kinda reminds me of my 2 ex-wives hahah. Irs a lot easier to trick their noses than their eyesight. I believe they have 300-315 degrees of visibility due to their skull shape, making it ultra difficult without an obstical between you. Such a blast to hunt though. Good luck, ill be following. Im also chasing them around Wyoming right now. Blew my best chance yesterday at 256 yards.
Thanks for following. I agree that archery pronghorn is very hard. I definitely don’t make it easy for myself but it’s too much fun to not do. I think it comes with valuable experiences that makes you an overall better hunter. It definitely has for me.

Good luck to you as well. If you’re on the front range side like me, you’ve probably been held back by the thunderstorms this weekend. I was kept idle in my truck for a few hours because of it.

Thanks for following. I agree that archery pronghorn is very hard. I definitely don’t make it easy for myself but it’s too much fun to not do. I think it comes with valuable experiences that makes you an overall better hunter. It definitely has for me.

Good luck to you as well. If you’re on the front range side like me, you’ve probably been held back by the thunderstorms this weekend. I was kept idle in my truck for a few hours because of it.
Yeah, I had to take a quick break due to some storms. Then I spent some family time as well. Ill get back after it next weekend. I also throw my gear in the truck because I drive by state land on the way to work. Never know when I might get a cough and not feel well 😄

Odd to say, but my archery pronghorn season is over. Sadly, nothing to show but I got the dust knocked off my stalks and I learned the unit for rifle season.

I had a special guest with me this weekend, my dad. My mom had some car troubles and being the nice son I am, I told her to come up for the weekend and I’ll take dad hunting with me. INDIRECTLY, I also asked them to bring a blind so I can hunt a water hole I found. Did they bring that? Nope!

Saturday was awfully productive. I walked a hillside right after first light and had a feeling there was a buck on the other side. Turns out I was right. Unfortunately, I was half asleep and still kind of wobbly, so he saw me. I ducked down and heard him snort. He ended up running 500 yards or so but I got him to freeze with a white game bag (Argali before the Hushin’ logo). He ended up walking down a ravine that had an arroyo. I swore I’d be able to get on him. My dad watched me from afar but that buck was nowhere to be found. He just vanished.

On the way back, I found the bachelors again. They were in a bowl a half mile away from our glass spot. That’s all we had so I jumped on it. I walked the arroyos and got to a hillside that I crawled on and got to the edge. Before I go on, the bachelors had 6 but we only had 5. I thought that was gravy for me. Turns out when I crowned the hill, number 6 found me. I got full draw at 118 yards hoping they’d bump to me but they were gone. It was amazing to see them run in sequence that close. Truly amazing.

Today on Sunday, we only had a morning hunt. One stalk, one chance, and it’s the closest I’ve ever been.

We were at the same spot as yesterday. I find this buck with the curls right above his ears. I decide to go for it. He went into this weird dig on the side of the hill. Only a 500 yard stalk.

I just rush over to the base of the hill and start crawling to the top. Sun at my back and wind at my face. Can’t get any easier right? Well I thought he was bedding but he ended up feeding. I got him ranged broadside at 80. I inch up a hair closer and he’s not where he was 30 seconds ago. I hear a snort to my left. The sorry SOB caught me when I peaked. I crawled down and snuck to my left. It was over so I nocked an arrow and stood up. Full draw at 100 or so yards hoping he’d run back but he took off. I ran to the other side of the hill rim but he was over 200 yards at that point.

For those who can arrow a pronghorn on spot and stalk, I have the utmost respect for you. That $#!+ is hard. But it was a blast, and now I know what to do when it’s rifle season.

Velvet buck hunting next weekend!

Attachments

• IMG_0566.jpeg
    IMG_0566.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0567.jpeg
    IMG_0567.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0568.jpeg
    IMG_0568.jpeg
  • IMG_0569.jpeg
    IMG_0569.jpeg
Archery pronghorn is actually impossible. Anyone who claims to have shot one must’ve used a rifle and just posed for photos with their bow. I’m convinced!
That’s true, I think it’s a fool’s errand to hunt that.

But, it’s better than sitting around waiting.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back