Caribou Gear Tarp

The taxidermist called....

Awesome buck! Any story/field pics about him??

So I was hunting this past fall with my Dad and his buddy. We had taken a hike into an area after setting camp up for 5 days. We jumped two mule deer bucks one was a dink but the other looked to be rougly 26" wide or so. They always seem bigger running away. Dad only had a deer tag, and Dad hadn't filled a deer tag or hunted much since I was little. So I told him that it wasn't a bad buck and if we could catch up I'd pack the deer out of wherever it may fall if he connected. We played cat and mouse with him for a while and ended up watching this deer walk under another hunter who had no clue about the buck just below him. We decided to back out of there and not ruin the other hunters hunt that day. So I asked them if they wanted to go check a different area out and see what else we may turn up. So we relocated and just said lets go this way, which was totally random. So we get to a spot to glass and I spotted 3 deer out in the distance. I looked through the binoculars and determined all were bucks, but one needed another look so I pulled the spotting scope out and set it up. The first look at this buck and his back forks are what stood out. I instantly said I am going after that deer. So I devised a plan that should put us within a couple hundred yards of him, hopefully. I wasn't sure if Dad and his buddy would be willing to make the long trek that quickly as we had about an hour left that day. I told them what I figured the plan would be and said what do you guys want to do? Dad looked at me and said I'll go along. It kind of suprised me that he was up for a track meet this late in the day; I said alright. I would say we had about 1.75 miles to cover to make this work. On our way toward the deer I asked him if he was wanted first crack, and I described what I thought of the deer he said sure. After cutting the distance, I figured we were in a spot where we could crest out of the drainage we used to stay hidden and should be within shooting distance. We crested the deer were nowhere to be found. I was confused as to where they could have gone and kind of unsure of what to do next as we were more than exposed at this point. The deer could have either gone into the other drainage or blown out of the country. Trying to locate them we were glassing trying to turn them up. Dad and his buddy went to the right and I went to the left. About 30 seconds later, we were a short distance apart when I located the deer 150 yards away on the other side of the drainage. They stood there as I tried to get Dad's attention. I got his attention and by the time he got to where I was the deer knew something was up. I hadn't really looked at this deer much after spotting him. We both got down and he stuggled finding them as they were on the move. I had the deer in my scope as well, he was about to crest the ridge and head into a canyon. Dad said if its a good one take him as he can't seem to find him. As that deer crested in the next canyon his back view was more than impressive. He stopped at the top of the ridge I thought here's my chance. At roughly 200 yards, I settle my crosshairs and go to pull the trigger and nothing. I forgot about my saftey. The deer went over into the next canyon. A few choice words were said. Then I said I am gonna try catching up with him. At this point, Dad said go we'll catch up to ya when we do. The track meet was on. I hurried and cut the distance to where I thought I may have a chance at where the deer might be. A few quick moments of looking around and I spotted a single deer, orignally there were three and from a quick glance he looked good. I pulled my bipods down as I would have to take a sitting shot. I didn't range the deer held just below his spine as I knew he was out there. I shot and it didn't sound like I hit him but didn't sound like I hit dirt. Confused I watched the deer take off. Thinking I missed I racked one more in hopes I may get a second chance. The deer goes about 50 yards and looks a bit wobbly and tips over. Now that the deer was down, I ranged to where he was and he was right at 400 yards. Dad and his buddy finally catch up to me and ask what happened? I said I shot and didn't know if I initally hit him or not but I did and he's down. We make our way down to the deer and as we got up to him all I could think was this deer has forks. I didn't initally look at his front for some reason and had no clue about any of the four stickers or how wide he was. Initally, I was unsure of just how big he was. I thought I was going to cape him and sell the cape and maybe do a european mount. I'm glad I kept the cape because it didn't sink in until later just how fortune I was to get this deer. We got him quarted and hung in a tree as we would come back the next day to get the last load of meat. We made it back to the pickup that night to enjoy a deserved beverage and listened to the last two innings of the World Series as the Nationals won their first title.This is probably the most memorable hunt I have been apart just because Dad and his buddy were able to be apart of the hunt. Doubt I will be topping this deer in my lifetime.

So I was hunting this past fall with my Dad and his buddy. We had taken a hike into an area after setting camp up for 5 days. We jumped two mule deer bucks one was a dink but the other looked to be rougly 26" wide or so. They always seem bigger running away. Dad only had a deer tag, and Dad hadn't filled a deer tag or hunted much since I was little. So I told him that it wasn't a bad buck and if we could catch up I'd pack the deer out of wherever it may fall if he connected. We played cat and mouse with him for a while and ended up watching this deer walk under another hunter who had no clue about the buck just below him. We decided to back out of there and not ruin the other hunters hunt that day. So I asked them if they wanted to go check a different area out and see what else we may turn up. So we relocated and just said lets go this way, which was totally random. So we get to a spot to glass and I spotted 3 deer out in the distance. I looked through the binoculars and determined all were bucks, but one needed another look so I pulled the spotting scope out and set it up. The first look at this buck and his back forks are what stood out. I instantly said I am going after that deer. So I devised a plan that should put us within a couple hundred yards of him, hopefully. I wasn't sure if Dad and his buddy would be willing to make the long trek that quickly as we had about an hour left that day. I told them what I figured the plan would be and said what do you guys want to do? Dad looked at me and said I'll go along. It kind of suprised me that he was up for a track meet this late in the day; I said alright. I would say we had about 1.75 miles to cover to make this work. On our way toward the deer I asked him if he was wanted first crack, and I described what I thought of the deer he said sure. After cutting the distance, I figured we were in a spot where we could crest out of the drainage we used to stay hidden and should be within shooting distance. We crested the deer were nowhere to be found. I was confused as to where they could have gone and kind of unsure of what to do next as we were more than exposed at this point. The deer could have either gone into the other drainage or blown out of the country. Trying to locate them we were glassing trying to turn them up. Dad and his buddy went to the right and I went to the left. About 30 seconds later, we were a short distance apart when I located the deer 150 yards away on the other side of the drainage. They stood there as I tried to get Dad's attention. I got his attention and by the time he got to where I was the deer knew something was up. I hadn't really looked at this deer much after spotting him. We both got down and he stuggled finding them as they were on the move. I had the deer in my scope as well, he was about to crest the ridge and head into a canyon. Dad said if its a good one take him as he can't seem to find him. As that deer crested in the next canyon his back view was more than impressive. He stopped at the top of the ridge I thought here's my chance. At roughly 200 yards, I settle my crosshairs and go to pull the trigger and nothing. I forgot about my saftey. The deer went over into the next canyon. A few choice words were said. Then I said I am gonna try catching up with him. At this point, Dad said go we'll catch up to ya when we do. The track meet was on. I hurried and cut the distance to where I thought I may have a chance at where the deer might be. A few quick moments of looking around and I spotted a single deer, orignally there were three and from a quick glance he looked good. I pulled my bipods down as I would have to take a sitting shot. I didn't range the deer held just below his spine as I knew he was out there. I shot and it didn't sound like I hit him but didn't sound like I hit dirt. Confused I watched the deer take off. Thinking I missed I racked one more in hopes I may get a second chance. The deer goes about 50 yards and looks a bit wobbly and tips over. Now that the deer was down, I ranged to where he was and he was right at 400 yards. Dad and his buddy finally catch up to me and ask what happened? I said I shot and didn't know if I initally hit him or not but I did and he's down. We make our way down to the deer and as we got up to him all I could think was this deer has forks. I didn't initally look at his front for some reason and had no clue about any of the four stickers or how wide he was. Initally, I was unsure of just how big he was. I thought I was going to cape him and sell the cape and maybe do a european mount. I'm glad I kept the cape because it didn't sink in until later just how fortune I was to get this deer. We got him quarted and hung in a tree as we would come back the next day to get the last load of meat. We made it back to the pickup that night to enjoy a deserved beverage and listened to the last two innings of the World Series as the Nationals won their first title.This is probably the most memorable hunt I have been apart just because Dad and his buddy were able to be apart of the hunt. Doubt I will be topping this deer in my lifetime.
Awesome story! My most memorable hunts involve my dad. Congrats! Just curious, did you have him scored?

Very nice . I just got My Kaibab Buck Back a week ago from 16 months ago ,but haven't down loaded pictures yet. Love that Pedestal. Great Deer TOO................BOB!

Beauty! I like the kickers.
They were definately an added bonus. A deer with kickers always makes me wonder if they are the root driver of a bit of the symmetry differnce seen from side to side on a deer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back