Caribou Gear Tarp

the next chapter

kiwi hunter

ive hunted this part of south caterbury for around six yrs, this was the first time id seen a mature fallow buck,,after taking some pics of a few reds and being stranded without a way to close the gap on them i went back to camp and enjoyed a bit of breakfast,,then tried a wee kip but that didnt work out and as the weather was packing in i decided to go out with just the camera,,the fog kept getting lower but a few drifts n rents so hoped that the animals would come out for lunch.now here i am wondering up the nice open flats n benches when out of the long tussock a bloody ripper set of antler materialize,,to say i dropped instantly to the ground would be an understatement and frantic search in the pack got my camera out and just handheld the thing to manage a bit of film and a still before he worked out that all is not as it should be and hightailed it for the nearest gully(boy they can sure move).i gave him two days to get over his fright and got up well before daylight n made my way up the valley in the dark to climb up the hill a bit for a decent view of his area,,as soon as there was enough light i could see those magnificent tops waving around in the tall tussock which was good enough for me n i shot on over to the other side,,now in the movie troy old achilies is outside the gates of troy screaming his head of for a fair fight(i was going to take some pictures first n then i remembered Achilles and left the pack behind) and attacked him with my 300wsm,,a bit unfair but bloody satisfying,and im very impressed with the short magnum.most times regardless of caliber ive found animals to run a fair way with a heart shot but after a jump and a stagger he died fast

Attachments

• DSCN0547.JPG
    DSCN0547.JPG
    277.1 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
ive hunted this part of south caterbury for around six yrs, this was the first time id seen a mature fallow buck,,after taking some pics of a few reds and being stranded without a way to close the gap on them i went back to camp and enjoyed a bit of breakfast,,then tried a wee kip but that didnt work out and as the weather was packing in i decided to go out with just the camera,,the fog kept getting lower but a few drifts n rents so hoped that the animals would come out for lunch.now here i am wondering up the nice open flats n benches when out of the long tussock a bloody ripper set of antler materialize,,to say i dropped instantly to the ground would be an understatement and frantic search in the pack got my camera out and just handheld the thing to manage a bit of film and a still before he worked out that all is not as it should be and hightailed it for the nearest gully(boy they can sure move).i gave him two days to get over his fright and got up well before daylight n made my way up the valley in the dark to climb up the hill a bit for a decent view of his area,,as soon as there was enough light i could see those magnificent tops waving around in the tall tussock which was good enough for me n i shot on over to the other side,,now in the movie troy old achilies is outside the gates of troy screaming his head of for a fair fight(i was going to take some pictures first n then i remembered Achilles and left the pack behind) and attacked him with my 300wsm,,a bit unfair but bloody satisfying,and im very impressed with the short magnum.most times regardless of caliber ive found animals to run a fair way with a heart shot but after a jump and a stagger he died fast
What do they weigh?
very nice congrats

Holy shit Les. Sure wish I was there.
2 years ago Brad and I watched one very similar, bedded on opposite hill about 200yd.
Head on it looked like a nice stag with those long brows but when he turned the paddles were awesome. Anyway 50 yds onto private so no joy but can't clear that pic from my head.
Got my shots and ready to help you find his brother as soon as Ms Arden gives me the green light. Guess we have to give the Aussies first crack. Yanks soon I hope, till then just have to dream. Again congrats.

Cheers Dan

My African lodge is trying to interest me in fallow deer. They have lots of them but not as popular with clients as local animals. This has peaked my interest. Maybe I'll think about it if I get my other animals.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back