The Men Who Built America: Frontiersmen

Big Sky Guy

Been sick all week. Just stumbled onto this on Hulu. Only on episode 2, but the way the stars aligned for our nation to come together is certainly a series incredibly unlikely circumstances. I never took much into history, only was required one semester in college and oddly what little interest I had was in American History which was not an option. I do not know how historically accurate the show is but has so far made me feel pretty uneducated about our nations origins. Things I never knew:

Basically anything about Daniel Boone other than he was a legendary outdoorsman and who BC club was named after. Didn’t realize his influence/impact in the revolutionary war, the importance of Boonsborough, the miraculous rain storm that prevented Boonsboorough from being burnt down.

The British armed the native Americans agains the colonists.

The newly formed American government paid off its $75M war debt in large part by westward expansion selling land to colonists for $1/acre.

Thomas Jefferson only sought to purchase the port of New Orleans and Napoleon offered him the Louisiana Purchase for the equivalent of $250M in todays dollars which is absolutely astounding, always new it was a steal but now that I’ve bought land and am older can greater appreciate the deal. Also fascinating people found this contentious and not everyone was fond of his purchase.

Lewis and Clark. Just getting started with them but how they even got selected seems unlikely, let alone how they succeeded seems nearly impossible. They estimate they started their journey with around 60,000lbs of gear. Will prly always think of this when backpacking now. The first? Natives they run into with Sacajawea has her long lost brother while she hadn’t seen for over six? years!

I mean it seems a lot like fiction and will likely watch the series at least twice and may have even found a new hobby interest to learn more.

Anyone else seen this and have similar feelings? Or was it just my lack of education, both through school but also my own apathy for not pursuing it on my own into adulthood.

Please feel free to correct anything the show or I misrepresented, I’m sure there are some great history buffs on here.

Yep…very entertaining. I’m sure they’re taking some liberties with the history to make it more entertaining. Maybe not though, I’ve forgotten almost everything from my school days I think. I’ve also watched the “Food that built America” it’s good as well. It’s always interesting to see how some small circumstances or late night business deals in the past has changed so much today.

The more I learn about Lewis and Clark and their expedition the more amazed I am. Those dudes were badass. The story of Lewis’ all night 100 mile ride across the plains through a lightning storm to escape the Blackfeet is the stuff of legends. If you want to do a deeper dive ‘Undaunted Courage’ is a great book.

The more I learn about Lewis and Clark and their expedition the more amazed I am. Those dudes were badass. The story of Lewis’ all night 100 mile ride across the plains through a lightning storm to escape the Blackfeet is the stuff of legends. If you want to do a deeper dive ‘Undaunted Courage’ is a great book.
The two most incredible feats of human endurance have to be the Corps Of Discovery 1804-1806, and Ernest Shackleton’s Antarctic expedition in 1914-1917.

To survive under those circumstances and not lose a single person to the severe conditions that they had to survive, makes you appreciate the tenacity of the human spirit to discover and overcome adversity…

Couldn't agree more. Undaunted Courage is an outstanding read. Also recommend the abridged journals edited by Gary Moulton. It's brilliant. I think Ambrose touches on this in Undaunted, but Lewis and Clark's joint leadership is one of the most remarkable examples of such in history. To successfully lead an expedition like that without any deaths, desertion, dissension...

Surely someone will decide to do a mini series on the Corps of Discovery someday.

Daniel Boone once famously said (paraphrase) that if he could see the smoke from another man's chimney rising over a nearby ridge he knew he was too close to civilization and needed to head west. That indomitable drive to explore wild places is what fueled so much of our westward expansion.

Daniel Boone once famously said (paraphrase) that if he could see the smoke from another man's chimney rising over a nearby ridge he knew he was too close to civilization and needed to head west. That indomitable drive to explore wild places is what fueled so much of our westward expansion.
He also said: Simon Kent on would be his best choice for a partner in a indian fight to have his back.
Simon saved Boone acouple times, once firing his long rifle from 100+ yards on a dead run dropping a indian warrior who hawk was abouts to strike Boone who also had a broken leg. BOONE was 100+ yards from the fort. Keaton picked Boone up and ran back with him over his shoulders to the fort.
From Alan Eckart, Great Bloody Ground

Back