Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

The Kentucky Elk EXPANSION - A RMEF Film

I am a little late to the discussion but here are my .02$.
*I drew a cow tag for dec 2021, odds about 400-1. I was stoked.
* I spent alot of time on the phone with biologists and other hunters and got some good info.
* I spent alot of $ on gas scouting.
* The video of elk being relocated was filmed where I hunted, but before. I had heard of it and asked the biologist and was assured that they were not relocated but trapped and tested for pregnancy. I was lied to.
* Outfitter I rented a cabin from said he and his cohorts had to file a FOIA request to get the state to admit they moved the elk to an area they were going to charge for the public to view.
* Elk on public are highly pressured by deer hunters, atv riders and poachers.
* If you don't draw the Czar or Middlesboro units don't waste your time unless you go guided. If you go guided, you can do CO for similar money and have more fun.

I have more gripes but this is enough for now.
Are you a KY resident? The elk herd and elk hunting situation overall is nowhere near what or how KDFWR presents it to be.

It's been a few years since I drew an archery cow tag there, but I think it was one of the bios that shared info about where they had relocated elk away from. It was one of the more popular public land areas to draw if I remember correctly. I chose not to apply to that zone at all and took my chances on one of the smaller voucher properties. Saw some elk, but most were off the property and the one that I could have put a stalk on was a spike. The patchwork of of poorly reclaimed mine company lands was pretty much a free for all with trespassers (?), atvs, rabbit hunters, deer hunters, etc. I still apply there because it’s close and I am addicted to elk hunting, but its a damn difficult hunt.

The Kentucky Elk EXPANSION - A RMEF Film

If you haven't see it yet, this is worth your time. Beautiful photography and a great conservation story. A big thanks to Randy Newberg and to everyone involved with bringing it to our attention. Thanks to the sponsors, too. Without them the story might not of been told. The sponsors are: RMEF, YETI, Nosler, Leupold, Bass Pro Shops & Cabelas.

A special thanks to the Kentucky Fish & Wildlife Resources and everyone that volunteered time and resources to the project too.

Thank you for sharing!So cool

I know this is an old thread but I just got back from a Kentucky archery elk hunt and would like to offer some of my big takeaways. I hunted with an outfitter due to access challenges, he was great and provided some insight as to the KY elk situation.

1. Kentucky has a reputation for being the land of 400" bulls behind every tree screaming their heads off. Flush that from your mind. 10 or 15 years ago that may have been slightly true, but the reality now is that the herd is in decline. Part of this is due to too many tags, part of it is poor habitat management, and part of it is due to rampant black bear populations.

2. In regards to habitat, much of the reclaimed strip mines have been overrun by an invasive vine called kudzu. It can grow nearly a foot a day and literally eats the forest. As a result, much of the grassy meadows that the elk rely on are disappearing.

3. Bears. We saw more bear sign on this hunt than anywhere I've ever been. According to my source, KDFWR is in denial about the effect that bears have on elk, particularly in regards to calves.

This is just a brief synopsis of some of the issues going on in Kentucky that are not public knowledge. When I drew my tag, I was under the impression that it was the glory tag of a lifetime. Make no mistake, I enjoyed the experience, and made some new connections with great people, but the hunting was not anything like the web would have you believe.

@Big Fin I bring this up because I worry the KY elk herd is in danger. You've had rep from KDFWR on the podcast before I believe, I strongly encourage you to try and get a representative from KEGA (Kentucky Elk Guide Association) on the podcast, I believe you will hear a different perspective, and the data to back it up.

I know this is an old thread but I just got back from a Kentucky archery elk hunt and would like to offer some of my big takeaways. I hunted with an outfitter due to access challenges, he was great and provided some insight as to the KY elk situation.

1. Kentucky has a reputation for being the land of 400" bulls behind every tree screaming their heads off. Flush that from your mind. 10 or 15 years ago that may have been slightly true, but the reality now is that the herd is in decline. Part of this is due to too many tags, part of it is poor habitat management, and part of it is due to rampant black bear populations.

2. In regards to habitat, much of the reclaimed strip mines have been overrun by an invasive vine called kudzu. It can grow nearly a foot a day and literally eats the forest. As a result, much of the grassy meadows that the elk rely on are disappearing.

3. Bears. We saw more bear sign on this hunt than anywhere I've ever been. According to my source, KDFWR is in denial about the effect that bears have on elk, particularly in regards to calves.

This is just a brief synopsis of some of the issues going on in Kentucky that are not public knowledge. When I drew my tag, I was under the impression that it was the glory tag of a lifetime. Make no mistake, I enjoyed the experience, and made some new connections with great people, but the hunting was not anything like the web would have you believe.

@Big Fin I bring this up because I worry the KY elk herd is in danger. You've had rep from KDFWR on the podcast before I believe, I strongly encourage you to try and get a representative from KEGA (Kentucky Elk Guide Association) on the podcast, I believe you will hear a different perspective, and the data to back it up.
Thanks for your report, us residents have been screaming this for the last several years. But it seems to always fall on deaf ears. Just curious but how many elk were seen during your hunt? We're they mostly on private? Thanks

Thanks for your report, us residents have been screaming this for the last several years. But it seems to always fall on deaf ears. Just curious but how many elk were seen during your hunt? We're they mostly on private? Thanks
I drew a spot on one of the regulated areas. Only four hunters allowed on nearly 20,000 acres so not a high pressure area. We saw exactly three elk, a lone cow, and a cow with calf. Very little bull sign and little sign in general. Guide said lone cows is not a good thing to see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back