Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

The hell is this?

No the cause of everything is global warming aka climate change.

I am not a biologist so I got new clue what yer talking about. I used a method called layering to get new growth to produce roots and then cut and transplant it. I got it to work on willow, cottonwood, roses, and lilacs so far. Not an expert on it but got it to work on some trees. I seen cottonwoods by the South Platte where we had our farm that pretty much laid on it's side with roots sticking out and new trunk lifted the roots up in the air after a couple years.
Root propagation is way different than witch's broom. That is a dead conifer, not a cottonwood or willow. Talk with a forester or arborist not a biologist.

I would say with 95% certainty that its dwarf mistletoe.

Pretty common in 5 needle pines and judging from the bark that's left on that tree, and the smaller seedling on the right side of your photo, probably either whitebark or limber pine...guessing whitebark.

Dwarf mistletoe is the only I&D we record in its own field on the inventory program I work for. We use a 6 code classification that breaks the tree crown into 3 equal parts and then we give each 1/3rd either a 0, 1, or 2 depending on severity. If fruiting bodies are found on the bole of the tree in any 1/3rd, automatic 2. If fruiting bodies are found on the limbs, depends on how many of the limbs...again either a 0, 1, or 2. If no fruiting bodies are found, and witches brooms are present and dwarf mistletoe is suspected, usually either a 1, but if severe enough a 2 as well. From there, if the severity totals up to a 5 or 6, we then code it as a tree damage. If not, its just noted in the separate field and given a rating of 0-6.

Mistletoe is a tricky one, as light infections don't usually kill the tree, but there's no question that a parasitic plant growing on another tree definitely slows volume growth...how much really depends on the severity, species, and micro-climate the tree is growing in. But, severe infections will kill the trees, lots more form defect in the tree volume, likelihood of the tree having other problems, and slower volume growth.

Sorry to nerd out on this one, just something I see a lot...pretty good article here:

That's a really old and cool looking snag! Whitebark pine would be my guess. Here are some whitebark pines that have died more recently with smaller witches brooms. Pine beetles or blister rust have killed off a majority of whitebark pines in the last 20 years in the Rockies.

20200913_080528.jpg

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back