Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

The Good Guys Win Again....

JoseCuervo

Activist a 'pirate,' not eco-terrorist

MELBOURNE, Australia -- Paul Watson flies the Jolly Roger from his ship and boasts of ramming more boats than any living seafarer, part of an anti-whaling crusade that even Greenpeace calls too radical.

Watson and his group came under withering criticism this season, summer in the Antarctic, for tactics that some say put the lives of whales above the lives of people.

A Japanese whaling ship caught fire after being chased and harassed by Watson's fleet, the ships and volunteers of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, which not only rammed the whaling boats but fired smoke canisters and ropes to entangle the propellers.

Japan announced Wednesday that it was ending its whaling season early because of the fire, which killed a crewman. Although the blaze came a day after Watson's group pulled back for lack of fuel, and there's no alleged connection, Japan calls Watson a terrorist.

But the 56-year-old Canadian, who founded the society 30 years ago, dismisses the complaints.

"Call for a boycott of tuna fish these days and they call you a terrorist," he said.

Watson has spent his adult life as a conservationist, beginning with Greenpeace, which itself has a strident reputation. The turn to radicalism came, he says, when he made eye contact with a harpooned whale as it rose above his dinghy before falling back into the sea.

"Paul recognized a flicker of understanding in the dying whale's eye. He felt that the whale knew what they were trying to do," the Sea Shepherd Web site says.

The society bought a ship with donated money in 1979, allowing members to disrupt seal hunting in eastern Canada. Later that year, the group rammed its ship into a whaler in a Portuguese harbor, and the pattern was set. Sea Shepherd claims responsibility for ramming six whaling ships and for playing a part in 10 others going out of the whaling business.

Watson says his whatever-it-takes tactics threaten lives no more than whaling itself. He points to the Japanese whaling factory ship Nisshin Maru, which was crippled in February for 10 days in ice-strewn Antarctic waters after the fatal fire.

"I think the Japanese are extremely reckless taking a floating factory down to a pristine and fragile ecosystem with the potential of causing a major oil and chemical spill and of course killing endangered species," Watson said.

The Nisshin Maru and its five support ships were Sea Shepherd's main targets this whaling season.

Sea Shepherd's attack ships, the Farley Mowat and the Robert Hunter, circled the Japanese factory ship, dispensing Zodiac inflatables into the heavy seas for the close-in attack.

Society volunteers used nail guns to fasten plates over the Nisshin Maru's drain outlets, which spill whale blood into the sea.

The attack ended when one of the Zodiacs cracked its hull in a collision with the Japanese ship and the Zodiac's two crew members, Australian Watson Karl Neilsen and John Gravois of Los Angeles, became lost for more than seven hours in heavy fog and falling snow.

Julie Farris, a 27-year-old American volunteer, said the hours of searching were tense and scary after the Robert Hunter's helicopter couldn't take off to search for the missing men because of the snow and fog.

Soon after the two men were found, the Robert Hunter discovered a Japanese spotter ship among the sea ice and tried to snare its propellor before the two ships collided. Other tactics include hurling smoke and stink bombs at the whalers' decks.

"These are not mere acts of sabotage, but literally an attack. We call these an act of terrorism but I don't think it is an exaggerated phrase," Hajime Ishikawa, deputy director of the Japanese government-linked Institute of Cetacean Research.

Sea Shepherd is at an extreme fringe of a movement that has broad popular support. Most whaling opponents distance themselves from the group's tactics.

"We don't think violence is the answer," Greenpeace spokesman Shane Rattenbury said. "If you are conducting violent action, the discussion becomes about the violence, not the issue."

New Zealand and Australia - leading anti-whaling nations - condemn Sea Shepherd's tactics as an unacceptable threat to human life.

The International Whaling Commission canceled Sea Shepherd's accreditation as a non-government organization after it claimed responsibility for sinking two Icelandic whaling boats in Reykjavik harbor and the wrecking of a meat-processing factory in 1986.

Lou Sanson, chief executive Antarctica New Zealand, the government agency responsible for that nation's operations on the frozen continent, said tactics like those of Sea Shepherd increase the risk of damaging the fragile Antarctic environment.

"It's a dangerous enough environment to be operating in as it is without building in the additional risk of ramming ships," he told The Associated Press.

But Watson dismisses Greenpeace - an organization he helped found in 1971 before a falling out - and other mainstream conservation groups as "feel good corporations." He also insists the U.N. World Charter for Nature gives him legal authority to save whales by sinking or disabling whaling vessels.

He has repeatedly been the target of legal action, but says he has never been convicted of a felony. He was convicted in absentia by Norway and sentenced to 120 days in prison on a charge related to the 1992 sinking of a whaling ship. He spent 60 days in Dutch custody, but they refused to extradite him to serve out his sentence.

The society boasts volunteers from 14 countries, who endure cramped and barely sanitary conditions.

Aboard the 677-ton Farley Mowat, the crew of 21 shares just two toilets and some of them have to sleep in linen lockers for lack of space. On the 1,017-ton Robert Hunter, limited fresh water means one brief shower every three days for the 33 crew members.

Japan has called on governments with Antarctic territory - including Australia, New Zealand and the United States - to do more to stop Sea Shepherd attacks. But exactly who has jurisdiction, what can be done under the law and how to collect evidence for prosecutions isn't clear.

Australian Justice Minister Chris Ellison warned that "if they were to call into an Australian port, they could well face the consequences of Australian law, if they have breached it." But Australian police are not investigating Sea Shepherd ships that are docked at Melbourne.

"I've probably rammed more boats than any person alive," said Watson, though he says he hasn't rammed a whaler since 1992. He said collisions he was involved in the this season and last were the whalers' fault. The whalers say otherwise.

"I've never seen a whale die since I started Sea Shepherd in 1977 and we've never hurt anyone by effectively preventing this crime," Watson said.

Perfect! I figured you as the kind of person who would support eco-terrorists who burn peoples homes and spike trees. I don't support the Japs in anything because they rape the sea and log off the great equatorial forests however I do not consider eco-terrorists the good guys and would freely shoot one if given the opportunity. You have got to be a PETA troll.

Hey Cheese,

Are you against the protection of Wildlife????

Maybe you don't belong on a hunting bulletin board. You anti-hunters make me sick.

gunner/sybil

Not if it means utilizing terrorist tactics (tack ticks for butz the putz) to meet the end results

Doesn't matter what kind of flag the dud fly's, he's still a terrorist

You still haven't answered my question...

???Wanna play a little Coup???

Who's this guy?

Attachments

• Dirty_in_Utah.jpg
    Dirty_in_Utah.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 202
  • Russ_one_elk.jpg
    Russ_one_elk.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 365
  • Russ_two_elk.jpg
    Russ_two_elk.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 196
I'm glad greeny has some thing to jack off to on these cold lonely winter nights and it's me he obviously dreams of...

WTF is a "coup"? Is that where you get your chickens from?

Look it up, and it doesn't have any thing to do with you and chickens in the dark... er... (I think your last excuse was looking for eggs)

Look it up, and it doesn't have any thing to do with you and chickens in the dark... er... (I think your last excuse was looking for eggs)

Hey Cheese,
As is all over the 'net, it is you that has sex with dead animals....

9 results for: coup

[ Nearby Entries ] county palatine
county pin
County rates
county recorders cou…
county seat
County sessions
county town
countywide
coup coup d'état
coup d'états
coup d'essai
coup d'etat
coup d'etats
coup d'oeil
coup détat
coup de foudre
coup de grace
coup de grâce
coup de maître
coup de maǐtre
View results from: Dictionary | Thesaurus | Encyclopedia | All Reference | the Web

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
coup1 /ku/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[koo] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural coups /kuz; Fr. ku/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kooz; Fr. koo] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation. 1. a highly successful, unexpected stroke, act, or move; a clever action or accomplishment.
2. (among the Plains Indians of North America) a brave or reckless deed performed in battle by a single warrior, as touching or striking an enemy warrior without sustaining injury oneself.
3. coup d'état.
—Idiom4. count coup, (among Plains Indians of North America) a. to perform a coup.
b. to recount or relate the coups one has performed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1640–50; < F: lit., blow, stroke, OF colp < LL colpus, L colaphus < Gk kólaphos]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
coup2 /koʊp, kup/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kohp, koop] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object), verb (used without object) Scot. overturn; upset.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1350–1400; ME coupe to pay for < ON kaupa to buy, barter; c. OE céapian, G kaufen. See cheap]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source coup (kōō) Pronunciation Key
n. pl. coups (kōōz)

A brilliantly executed stratagem; a triumph.

A coup d'état.
A sudden appropriation of leadership or power; a takeover: a boardroom coup.
Among certain Native American peoples, a feat of bravery performed in battle, especially the touching of an enemy's body without causing injury.

[French, stroke, from Old French colp, from Late Latin colpus, from Latin colaphus, from Greek kolaphos.]

(Download Now or Buy the Book) The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Online Etymology Dictionary - Cite This Source
coup

c.1400, from O.Fr. colp "to cut, strike," from M.L. colpus, from V.L. colapus, from L. colaphus "a cuff, box on the ear," from Gk. kolaphos "a blow, slap." Coup d'Ètate is 1646, from Fr., lit. "stroke of the state." Coup de gr‚ce is 1699, lit. "stroke of grace."

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper
WordNet - Cite This Source coup

noun
1. a sudden and decisive change of government illegally or by force [syn: coup d'etat]
2. a brilliant and notable success

WordNet® 2.1, © 2005 Princeton University
American Heritage New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition - Cite This Source
coup [(kooh)]

In politics, an abbreviation for coup d'état.

[Chapter:] World Politics

The American Heritage® New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition
Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Acronym Finder - Cite This Source
COUP

COUP: in Acronym Finder

Acronym Finder, © 1988-2007 Mountain Data Systems
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary (Beta Version) - Cite This Source
coup1 [kuː] noun

a sudden successful action
Example: He achieved a real coup by completing this deal. Arabic: ضَربة مُفاجِئة ناجِحَـه
Chinese (Simplified): 突然的行动
Chinese (Traditional): 突然的行動
Czech: skvělý tah
Danish: kup
Dutch: goede zet
Estonian: meisterlik saavutus
Finnish: onnistuminen, läpimurto
French: (beau) coup
German: der Coup
Greek: εύστοχη ενέργεια, άθλος
Hungarian: tett
Icelandic: snilldarbragð, snjallræði
Indonesian: tindakan
Italian: colpo maestro*
Japanese: 大成功
Korean: 대성공
Latvian: sekmīgs darījums; veikls gājiens
Lithuanian: netikėta sėkmė, persilaužimas
Norwegian: kupp
Polish: przełom, wielki sukces
Portuguese (Brazil): golpe
Portuguese (Portugal): golpe
Romanian: lovitură, reuşită
Russian: удачный ход
Slovak: (dobrý) ťah
Slovenian: podvig
Spanish: logro
Swedish: kupp
Turkish: çok başarılı iş

coup2 [kuː] noun

a coup d'état
Example: There's been a coup in one of the African republics. Arabic: إنقِلاب فُجائي (عَسكَري)
Chinese (Simplified): 政变
Chinese (Traditional): 政變
Czech: převrat
Danish: statskup
Dutch: staatsgreep
Estonian: riigipööre
Finnish: vallankaappaus
French: coup d'État
German: der Putsch
Greek: πραξικόπημα
Hungarian: puccs
Icelandic: valdarán
Indonesian: makar
Italian: colpo di Stato*
Japanese: クーデター
Korean: 쿠데타
Latvian: valsts apvērsums
Lithuanian: perversmas
Norwegian: statskupp
Polish: przewrót
Portuguese (Brazil): golpe
Portuguese (Portugal): golpe de estado
Romanian: lovitură de stat
Russian: государственный переворот
Slovak: prevrat
Slovenian: državni udar
Spanish: golpe de estado
Swedish: kupp
Turkish: hükümet darbesi

No wonder you don't answer any thing people ask you, you don't do a very good job of it

All that silly stuff and you couldn't find the answer...

I'm surprised with you, your usually pretty good at finding infinitesimal bits of information off the internet and then make such a big deal about what ever it is...

Check out number 3, and then do a little more research to learn the rules of the game

I’m going to run into the Mojave Desert for the weekend to see what new things I can learn…

Coup (kū)
n., pl. coups (kūz)
A brilliantly executed stratagem; a triumph

1. A coup d'état.

2. A sudden appropriation of leadership or power; a takeover: a boardroom coup.

3. Among certain Native American peoples, a feat of bravery performed in battle, especially the touching of an enemy's body without causing injury to oneself.

Hey Cheese,

Don't be trying to touch me..... I ain't in to that weird stuff like you are. Aren't you the one who drove from Montana to meet that young boy in Salmon, Idaho?

Do your home work before you make a comment...

As much as you were hoping we would play patty cake, it doesn't work that way

After were done playing, we can count your bruises, cuts and lumps

This is called

"Counting coup - It's tradition among certain Native American peoples, to ceremoniously recount one's exploits in battle"

Are you man enough for the challenge? :D

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back