Taking scare tactics out of Healthy Forest debate

Michaelr

In yet another summer already bristling with catastrophic forest fires, philosophical points of friction also are heating up across the political spectrum. On a national level this month the U.S. Senate will test party allegiances as it debates the Healthy Forest Restoration Act of 2003.

Closer to home, policy changes on timber management, roadless rule limits, and avenues for legal appeals related to the Tongass National Forest have rankled the environmental camp.

The political divide pits the "let it burn" and go unmanaged ideology of environmental extremists and a growing legion of Democrats against the Bush administration's "Healthy Forest" initiative of applying scientific forest management practices to insure the regeneration of healthy forests and mitigate the threat of wildfires.

Dr. Patrick Moore, a founding member of Greenpeace, speaking before the U.S. House Committee on Resources in June, explained that he left the organization because it ceased to propose practical solutions to land management problems.

In summarizing Dr. Moore's testimony, committee Chairman Richard W. Pombo, a California Republican, observed: "Dr. Moore was brilliant in taking the sensational scare tactics out of the Healthy Forest debate and inserting science and logic instead."

The committee report stated that "Dr. Moore embraced Bush administration proposals and House-passed legislation that would treat forests to eliminate disease, insect infestation, and catastrophic wildfires. "We have to garden the forests," he said.

Greenpeace, long noted for its dramatic confrontations on the high seas, has been effective in drawing attention to species -threatening fishing practices in international waters. The organization also played an instrumental role in stopping the importation of endangered hardwood products from overseas and is credited for many other important ecological achievements.

However, due in large part to its "zero tolerance" extremism as applied to U.S. forests, Greenpeace now finds its popularity and fund-raising potential threatened. Could it be that Greenpeace's work is doing more harm to the environment than good?

Richly funded organizations such as Greenpeace, Earthjustice and the Sierra Club have enjoyed great success over the past three decades in removing human activity from forest lands by employing a wide variety of tactics and helped greatly by a last-minute, capricious act by President Bill Clinton called the roadless rule.

As a consequence, the U.S. Forest Service has been hobbled from effectively managing our forests, and catastrophic forest fires and insect infestation have proliferated. Over the past five years the United States has lost over 6 million acres of forested land to wildfires, exacting an enormous cost in loss of life, property and public funds.

The "natural" damage resulting from insect infestation and wildfires when compounded with the crippling economic outfall that ensues has fostered a groundswell of support for a return to scientific and sustainable forest management.

In preparation for the battle to come, more than 100 environmental activists gathered in early June at a boot camp for activism in the back country of the Bitterroot National Forest near Darby, Mont. As reported by the Missoulian, the week-long encampment, sponsored by Greenpeace and the National Forest Protection Alliance, preached traditional and modern methods of peaceful civil disobedience.

The curriculum included instruction on how to file lawsuits to obstruct unpopular court decisions, organize road blockades, roost in trees, write letters to newspaper editors and otherwise orchestrate events to draw media attention to the cause of the moment.

The newspaper account reported that "this summer, Greenpeace will send one of its notorious activist-piloted boats to Alaska to draw attention to unwanted logging in the Tongass National Forest."

Scott Paul, forest campaign coordinator for Greenpeace in Washington, D.C., was quoted as saying, "We'll use the ship as a platform for delivering our message - to draw attention to the issue."

Hopefully, the protests to come will be peaceful, civil, and legal.

During the Committee on Resources hearing, Dr. Moore pondered the question "why aren't the Sierra Club and Greenpeace endorsing the Healthy Forest Restoration Act of 2003?"

"Because 'emotive images' and scare tactics sell more memberships," Moore answered. "I see fighting wildfire as a last resort. Preventing them is useful work in protecting the environment."

Dr. Moore has founded a new environmental organization, Greenspirit, whose mission is to promote active, scientific management to sustain and conserve our national forests.

For information on Dr. Moore and Greenspirit, visit www.greenspirit.com.

Don Smith
[email protected]
586-1428
http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/071303/opi_edboard.shtml

Very interesting!
Comments??

Yeah, I have a couple comments.

For starters does anyone ever bring up how the "healthy forest" initiative is going to impact wildlife?

Is the cost of a project on the scale of National Forests ever brought up? Oh yeah, GWBush says timber receipts will cover 60% of the initiative...uh huh, sure.
rolleyes.gif

The way to get the forests back into a healthy state is to let the fires burn. Its more natural, doesnt require extensive or intensive management, you dont have to build roads to do it, and you cant beat the price tag.

Bush and his cronies can talk all day and yackity yack about their great initiative, but the bottom line is, they dont understand the enormity of what they propose. Bush will get his votes and claim he tried, but the bottom line is, he isnt providing much in the way of funding to complete even a trivial amount of the work that needs to be done. The American Public is just as bad, they talk a nice line, say they want something done, but dont want to shell out the $$$$ to do it. Just think about what it would take to implement the HFI. We arent talking about mowing the weeds behind your house.

Also, in recent dicussions I had with some FS officials, I asked them when the healthy forest initiative work would start. The reply I got was, "probably never", mostly due to funding issues and NEPA. Bush's proposal wants to try to get around NEPA, but he's pissing in the wind, you cant get around NEPA.

My number one concern with this, along with lots of other initiatives and great ideas that politicians have, is that nowhere is there even a small thought given to wildlife. That aint right, but more than likely the NASCAR, ATV, Republican rednecks will just nod their heads and agree with Bush and his wacked out idea of a "healthy forest" initiative.

I think its just a political maneuver to haul in votes, I'd be suprised to see much applied on the ground. By the time the fighting is over...the woods will be burned up anyway, and that isnt a bad thing.
cool.gif

My comment to Michael is what part of Idaho do you live in??? Unless Idaho just annexed British Columbia and part of Alaska, the Tongass Nat'l Forest is not "closer to home".
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
Closer to home, policy changes on timber management, roadless rule limits, and avenues for legal appeals related to the Tongass National Forest have rankled the environmental camp.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Question for Buzz. Should we let All fires burn themselves out including all of them started by illegal`s [yes there were many] and other subhuman`s or are you just suggesting we let only natural [lightning etc.] fires burn themselves out?

Off the cuff, natural occuring fires in areas where management is not intensive (IE roadless, wilderness, NP, etc.) or areas where management plans call for more prescribed fire is needed.

I never could see the sense in busting my butt all summer putting a fire out...then return a few months later to the same areas with a drip torch in hand applying fire.

As far as AZ goes...I'd take a drip torch starting 50 miles South of Flagstaff and do a burnout on the rest of the state, applying particularly large amounts of fire in the areas near Phoenix and Tucson.
wink.gif

Gunner....... uhhhhhh duhhhhhh
hump.gif

I didn't write the article...

didn't you see the link??
wink.gif
wink.gif

Michael,

So you didn't write that article? You mean your only contribution was

Very interesting!
Comments??

rolleyes.gif

Well, thanks for the analysis, the comment, the context, and the rest....
frown.gif

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back