Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

The death of the 16 Ga....Why?

The 16ga is not used in Skeet and there is nothing a 16ga that a 12ga 20ga can do where a 16ga would be better. That’s the Reason there is so little interest.
Yes you can still buy one but the question is why ? Even when ammo was available it was not it much of a variety like the 12ga or 20ga.

Obviously, you have not owned one, carried one, or shot one. Perhaps you should debate the gazillion redundant calibers of rifles instead.

I’m just stating the obvious as a lot of hardware stores in the Midwest will carry 12ga and 20ga but no 16ga ammo.
If you received a 16ga from family and has sentimental reason I can understand liking it but to buy a new one. It just does not make sense. Especially if you have to use nontoxic shot where you hunt.

I’m just stating the obvious as a lot of hardware stores in the Midwest will carry 12ga and 20ga but no 16ga ammo.
If you received a 16ga from family and has sentimental reason I can understand liking it but to buy a new one. It just does not make sense. Especially if you have to use nontoxic shot where you hunt.

The please do not buy one. The way, those of us that like them will have one more available... Seriously, you don't know what you are missing.

The 16ga is not used in Skeet and there is nothing a 16ga that a 12ga 20ga can do where a 16ga would be better. That’s the Reason there is so little interest.
Yes you can still buy one but the question is why ? Even when ammo was available it was not it much of a variety like the 12ga or 20ga.
Three guys at the club shoot skeet with ONLY 28 and .410. I can see no reason why it can't be done with 16 gauge. Finding the hulls to reload is the problem.

Kent makes nontoxic 16 gauge. Cost is about the same as 12 or 20. Reloading puts you into the same price point as any other shell. Others make it, but I've not used anything but the kent.

But the real reason to shoot a properly scaled 16 gauge is getting a hammer on birds in a sub 6 pound gun. You essentially get the payload of a 12 in the frame of a 20.

I've got plenty of 12's & agree that ammo is super easy to come by, but I'm usually traveling with a 1/2 case of ammo for shotgun when hunting anyway.

I'd buy a new 16 gauge over under or sxs in a heartbeat if I was in the market. Today's modern manufacturing techniques along with powder & pellet development make it viable for anything that a 12 2 3/4" shell can do.

The 16 is dead. Long live the 16.

The 16, 28 & 410 have solid followings, and they're prized by many upland hunters. The 12 & 20 are industry standard, because that's what people bought, so ammo manufacturers put their R&D where it belongs - with the best sellers.

The 16 hangs on because it carries well, especially in a properly framed firearm. It has significant punch, mild recoil & covers the ground between the 20 and 12 well. as an upland gun, you can't find a more suitable shell to chase grouse, pheasants, etc. The 28 is in that same camp - a more refined round for a refined palate. Not my speed, but the folks I know that shoot 28's are damned good wingshots & swear by them in terms of terminal performance.

Now, where's the 14 gauge? The 24? The 13? That's the real question. :)

I love the 28 ga. !!! and my grandfather has a 10 gauge.

Speaking of 16 gauges, anybody have a first person review of the 16 gauge CZ Redhead ?

Three guys at the club shoot skeet with ONLY 28 and .410. I can see no reason why it can't be done with 16 gauge. Finding the hulls to reload is the problem.
It's not that it can't be done, it's that it's not recognized in registered events. Do you understand what a registered event means? Yes, anyone can bring a 16 gauge to shoot casual skeet and then head over to the club house to debate AARP benefits over a cream soda. It is well documented that because the 16 gauge is not recognized, it's not in anyone's monetary interest to start producing 16 gauge ammo. Nothing that 1100Remingtonman said was untrue.

..., it's not in anyone's monetary interest to start producing 16 gauge ammo. Nothing that 1100Remingtonman said was untrue.

Then why do they do it? 16 gauge is NOT that hard to find loaded or in components. You need a reality check, as does anyone with a handle like 1100Remingtonman....
😂😂😂

I see more use for the 16ga than the .40 s&w or the dozen or so almost duplicate rifle calibers out there. Yet as long as there are people who enjoy it, I say keep on blasting.

-Z

While it talks about 28 rather than 16 gauge, this is interesting.

It was a very popular around here back in the day, and is still not so uncommon it raises a eye.
I guess if I had to pick just one shotgun to do everything in my neck of the woods to include Turkey, Grouse, Squirrel, Dove, Rabbit, and the occasional wood duck or woodcock as long as I had a good supply of #6 and 5s. It makes a fine grouse gun and for many moons was the only gun my grandfather would use for everything from turkey on down.
A 16 is the goldilocks of the shotgun world in my geographical region. Not too hot and not too cold.... Especially since we do not have a flyway anywhere close it takes ducks and other migratories out of the equation that would put a 12ga on the winning side of the argument.

this picture of me calmly discussing my score with a Rodeo judge continues to be used over and over and over again o_O

Brent, Ben, anyone, any thoughts about the 16 gauge CZ Redhead ? Price is right but ??? thanks
I've heard as many horror stories about cz shotguns as I love them stories. The big beef that a lot of folks complain about is their triggers being very heavy.

I’ve had a few. It was unexceptional. Not great but not bad. They were fairly common until steel shot was mandated. The first loads were bad, and heavy payloads at high velocity were what was wanted and the Sixteen didn’t deliver. Same with shooting driven deer with buckshot. The sixteen sucked hind tit. Dove fields and plantation quail hunts are about the only place I see one anymore. Modern powder and shot would allow it to do anything a standard 12 would, but it’s too little too late. It’s day has passed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back