Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

The 444 Marlin

Rooster52

I just purchased a used Marlin 444SS with a Redfield 2-7x33 scope.Shot it a few times today and am impressed with it's accuracy. With 265 grain Hornady ammo it shot some great groups.

Any 444 shooters out there ?

I have killed several deer with mine. I call it my brush gun. I hunt the thickets around here with it. It will shoot through brush that deflects faster shooting bullets.

I put on a sims slip on recoil pad to shoot off the bench.It was not that bad for recoil.

I have killed several deer with mine. I call it my brush gun. I hunt the thickets around here with it. It will shoot through brush that deflects faster shooting bullets.

That's a very old misconception amd has been disproved over and over.

IIRC, just the opposite was actually proven. The larger slower bullets deflected more than the lighter faster ones.

The .444 has always been a round that has intrigued me. Never got myself to buy one yet though.

Can you post a link to those results? I would be interested in reading them. Maybe I misspoke when I said faster bullets. I would certainly think a heavier bullet would deflect less than a lighter bullet. I shoot 240 grain bullets out of my .444. A quick Google search brought up this article where a 45-70 showed less deflection that lighter bullets. I realize this was not a scientific test.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-40-deflected-bullets-and-the-box-o-truth/

Either way I love my .444 and will continue to deer hunt with it.

I once read an article years ago which basically said long fast bullets do better. It was either in field and stream or outdoor life. Not sure which but it has always stuck with me. Read it probably 20 years ago.

Can you post a link to those results? I would be interested in reading them. Maybe I misspoke when I said faster bullets. I would certainly think a heavier bullet would deflect less than a lighter bullet. I shoot 240 grain bullets out of my .444. A quick Google search brought up this article where a 45-70 showed less deflection that lighter bullets. I realize this was not a scientific test.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-40-deflected-bullets-and-the-box-o-truth/

Either way I love my .444 and will continue to deer hunt with it.

This is just one of many you can find just by doing a search. You can also find many that show the opposite. Brush will deflect any bullet and the further away behind the brush the intended object is the greater thr change to the point of iimpact.
I think the myth just got started because those short barrel rifle are more manuverable than a rifle with a 22-26 inch barrel when moving through thick brush.
I had a Marlin 30A in 30-30 at one time but I sold it because it wasn't really suited to the wide open country we hunt out here in NV for deer.
Either way that is a neat gun and I'm sure you will have lots of fun and success with it if it suites your neck of the woods.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...s.html&usg=AFQjCNHEKz5Q118m430-xVo_sBWn52LPrg

I picked up one of these a few years ago at an auction in MT. It was in great shape and the .444 cartridge always intrigued me. I haven't handloaded for it yet - but put lots of store bought ammo through it. Mine is fitted with a Williams peep sight and I replaced the front blade with Williams "Fire-sight". Off the bench I have gotten 1.5" groups.

Fun to carry in the field. It's a packout gun for me (also bear spray).

I picked up one of these a few years ago at an auction in MT. It was in great shape and the .444 cartridge always intrigued me. I haven't handloaded for it yet - but put lots of store bought ammo through it. Mine is fitted with a Williams peep sight and I replaced the front blade with Williams "Fire-sight". Off the bench I have gotten 1.5" groups.

Fun to carry in the field. It's a packout gun for me (also bear spray).

I always thought it would make a good camp gun in grizzly country.

This picture is a bit off topic, but I killed this buck last fall here in Bienville National Forest with my 45-70. If I remember correctly the .444 slightly outperforms the 45-70 ballistically, but they are very similar.

Attachments

• IMG_1677.JPG
    IMG_1677.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 277
The Hornady leverlution is an awesome load. Was my everyday gun for about 5 years. Now I'm shooting the 35 whelen now just to shake things up. Always wanted a lever .444 and will have one one day.

My wife got me one for our 10th anniversary a few years ago. I have a weaver 4x32 on it, and it is actually one of my more accurate guns shooting the Leverrevolution ammo. It will shoot about 1 inch at 200 yards all day long off the bench. Recoil is not as bad as you would think. My only complaint is it is a little heavy, but it sure handles nicely and is fun to shoot.

I've owned one for quite a while, and have carried it quite a bit while elk hunting. Never have killed anything with it.

I'm hoping to do some upgrades to it this year and hopefully get some blood on it.

I grew up hunting deer with one in PA. Had a Tasco 4x scope on it. I think my brother still has it. What a fun gun to hunt with. Very accurate and the recoil wasn't that bad. There was no leverlution then, but loaded my own 240 gr hollow points (can't remember which) and killed more than a dozen or so whitetails with it. Never had to track very far......Simpler times.....

I have found the leverevolutions deflect and don't cut through a whisper of laurel as well as a traditional bullet, just my 2 cents. I tried them in a 32 special and had them fragment through some laurel, as well as a couple buddies at camp. Had a .444 some years ago but honestly was not impressed. They are not bad at recoil at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rcb2000
Back