Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Thanksgiving

PABowhunter1969

Thankful to be able to spend Thanksgiving with friends and family. Many will unfortunately spend this Thanksgiving alone.
Thankful for the men and women in the Armed Services.
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone.

Happy Thanks Giving to all. I'm thankful for my family, our health, and especially those who have defended our very Freedom that allows us all to be Free!

Healthy family, solid friends, miracle drought bustin' rain, work stacked up thru rest of '15 and most of '16....much gratitude.

Blessings to all the good people at HT.

Thankful to be able to spend Thanksgiving with friends and family. Many will unfortunately spend this Thanksgiving alone.
Thankful for the men and women in the Armed Services.
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone.

Well said.

Giving thanks for my health, my family and friends, my freedoms, and those who do what they can to make the world a better place. Thankful to be living in this great country; the greatest place one can live, in spite of the warts, bumps, and a few imperfections.

Every Thanksgiving I listen to this song by Skip Ewing. I first heard it in the late 1980's, while living in Nevada and finishing up college. I was young and was in one of those phases in early adulthood, in a rut, thinking I was dealt a bad hand in life. A special person entered my life at this time and made it so obvious that I was blessed, it was almost embarrassing to think I had spent a few months whining to myself. She is still in my life, 27 years later. Thanks to her, I came to realize I was actually dealt a Royal Flush and I was too young and ignorant to realize it.

She may not even know she said something that struck me in this way; something connected to this song. We were driving east on Highway 50 in an early November dawn, on our way to somewhere unknown. I had this tape in the juke box. It was one of those early morning times in the vastness of nowhere that even though you are in a vehicle you almost feel like you are alone in the world, both in terns of time and space. A time and place that allows the mind to wander and think about bigger things in life.

We were not saying much as the white lines passed by and the sun started to crack across the sage basins. This song cued up. Neither of us said a word while it rolled. Looking out her window, not even talking to me, and in her usual matter of fact way, she said something to the efffect, "Amazing how the Luke's of this world think they have it made and the rest of us complain we don't have enough."

I spent the next forty miles thinking about what she had just said. I didn't recall a single mile marker of the next hour. In the first ten months of our relationship, she had already helped me realize the blessings of my life. Now, without even realizing it, she had once again given me another kick in the ass wake up as to how full my glass was.

Funny how certain songs, books, conversations, or other events can connect us to those places. This is one of them. I cued it up last night and listened to it closely many times. I thought about that time in my life and how stupid it was to waste time and energy feeling sorry for my plight. I gave thanks that by some strange fate I met the woman I would marry.

This song always reminds me of that time in my life and how obvious my blessings were to those looking from the outside, yet seemed so invisible to me. On this day, I am thankful for all of that and hopeful others will find such in their lives.

https://youtu.be/cdQgXNrK_C0

Give to your brother if he is in need
Offer up thanks for the gifts you receive
There's treasure in heaven for the generous few
That was the gospel according to Luke​

Probably one of my favorite songs with a message. Thanks Randy for the reminder. We talked about that type of people at church last night and how they are thankful and appreciative of what they have and giving. As we gather around the tables today with our families let's all try to be thankful for what we have, family decent health and a good place to live. I know that I take that for granted most of the time. Happy thanksgiving everyone.

11 years ago I was eating a chicken and salsa MRE on the hood of a HUMVEE while getting ready to go on patrol in Iraq. It was one of my best Thanksgivings ever, spending it with my buddies in my Platoon doing what we loved. A lot of my best memories of holidays and birthdays and things like that were spent overseas away from family with my brothers in arms. Don't feel bad for us for being away from our families. We are with a family of another sort. A family with a bond that civilians and our families will never understand and we can't explain. Yes, it sucks that we can't sit with our families and eat turkey and pies and watch football at home back in the States, but at the same time, we are with our brothers all sharing an experience that most will never experience with a bond and love for each other that most will never experience. I don't regret missing birthdays and holidays and stuff like that, yes it sucked to miss them, but I had my brothers, and at that moment, that's all that mattered. I would do it all again in a heartbeat, knowing what I know now and knowing the consequences and possibilities and bad things that could go along with it. There's a pride and brotherhood that goes along with being a soldier and being called 'Doc' still means the world to me from the guys I served with....

SGT John L Cushman, US Army (RET)

I am truly thankful for what I have. No deer in the freezer this year, but I've had time to chase them.My father doesn't hunt any more, but I got to take a small piece along with him in his Model 70. I did get to shoot a couple of ducks with his Model 12, feet down in the decoys. I've got family and friends I spend time with, and my parents are close enough to visit for a weekend. Even though some of my children are far away, I get to visit by phone and facebook, and they're all healthy and happy. I hope you are all so lucky.

Thankful to be here in this beautiful place and for all I have,mentally and physically.
I am thankful for my friends,local and afar.
I am most thankful to live in this country and to those who serve it daily ,from the grunt on the front line ,the cop on a beat,to the nurse in the local hospital.
With all our faults,WE can always be better and have proven it to ourselves thru some deep times in the past.
Thank you America!

11 years ago I was eating a chicken and salsa MRE on the hood of a HUMVEE while getting ready to go on patrol in Iraq. It was one of my best Thanksgivings ever, spending it with my buddies in my Platoon doing what we loved. A lot of my best memories of holidays and birthdays and things like that were spent overseas away from family with my brothers in arms. Don't feel bad for us for being away from our families. We are with a family of another sort. A family with a bond that civilians and our families will never understand and we can't explain. Yes, it sucks that we can't sit with our families and eat turkey and pies and watch football at home back in the States, but at the same time, we are with our brothers all sharing an experience that most will never experience with a bond and love for each other that most will never experience. I don't regret missing birthdays and holidays and stuff like that, yes it sucked to miss them, but I had my brothers, and at that moment, that's all that mattered. I would do it all again in a heartbeat, knowing what I know now and knowing the consequences and possibilities and bad things that could go along with it. There's a pride and brotherhood that goes along with being a soldier and being called 'Doc' still means the world to me from the guys I served with....

SGT John L Cushman, US Army (RET)

It's men and women such as yourself that make the United States the best country in the world.
Thank You for your service and God Bless You

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back