MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Texas Rabbit Hunting info

adeldarvish

Hello All,

**This thread is more of a Texas state specific but anyone with knowledge and tips are Welcome and appreciated**

As most of y'all must be in full prep for the deer season! For me, as I am pretty new to hunting, I wanted to ask if anyone knows decent places where I can hunt rabbits around Houston area?( a couple hour drive is fine). Any tips and suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you!

Adel Darvish.

When you buy a TX hunting license, you can add on the annual public hunting permit for (I think) $48. That will give you access to the public hunting areas and national forests, many of which are close to Houston and most of which allow rabbit hunting.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

When you buy a TX hunting license, you can add on the annual public hunting permit for (I think) $48. That will give you access to the public hunting areas and national forests, many of which are close to Houston and most of which allow rabbit hunting.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Yes, I do have the license. I'm sorry if my question was not clear, but, what I was asking is if you happen to know any area around Houston that you know might hold Rabbits. I've been to SHNF and did not see a single rabbit in the two days I was there. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place.. any advice or mentorship opportunity would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
I’m in San Antonio, so my knowledge of Houston-area spots is limited (I was going to suggest SHNF). Another suggestion is area #607 in Robertson County — I have hunted rabbits there.

Unfortunately, I’m probably the last person you’d want hunting tips from. I mostly use the Stumble Around Until Something Moves technique.

In the national forest, find areas with grassy cover in lower elevations. I've seen rabbits in the same places as squirrel live. Some of the smaller walk in places that have grassy cover allow rabbit hunting in connection with dove hunting. Make sure you have your migratory stamp. I think those are likely to hold more rabbits than the forest.

Back