Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Tex Creek Idaho

Stocker

I struck out on draws this year and I’ve always wanted to hunt Idaho, so I was late buying a tag and ended up with a Tex creek B tag. I’ve escouted the area until I’m blue in the face. I’m not asking for anyone’s honey hole, just an honest opinion.

I’m coming out 2 days before the opener and have a lot of decent looking area on the maps. Mostly to the North and South of Big Elk mountain in the areas that are off the beaten path. I understand the pressure is big.

So is my plan to hunt the forest better or should I change and try the lower country?

There seems to be a ton of places in the lower country that could hold elk ( unit 69)

Its not that big of a zone. Spend one day high and one day low and figure out where the elk are and hunt there. Be flexible with your hunt plan through the 7 day season. It they’re there, you’ll find ‘em.

Buy a wolf tag or two.

Welcome to Hunt Talk!

I struck out on draws this year and I’ve always wanted to hunt Idaho, so I was late buying a tag and ended up with a Tex creek B tag. I’ve escouted the area until I’m blue in the face. I’m not asking for anyone’s honey hole, just an honest opinion.

I’m coming out 2 days before the opener and have a lot of decent looking area on the maps. Mostly to the North and South of Big Elk mountain in the areas that are off the beaten path. I understand the pressure is big.

So is my plan to hunt the forest better or should I change and try the lower country?

There seems to be a ton of places in the lower country that could hold elk ( unit 69)

I've spent some time in that unit camping/scouting, didn't end up hunting there but I did see some elk sign and a LOT of deer sign. We were camping near Palisades reservoir and it looked to me like it was a case of of getting as far as possible away from vehicle traffic, of which we saw a ton (we literally got t-boned head on by an idiot on a dirt bike). Also, the migration routes in that area are very well known and can be researched easily online......good luck!

I've hunted it a few times. B tag times will usually mean the elk will be higher. I like the area south of Palisades, there is a road that follows the south end of the lake by crossing the bridge before the dam, riverside. Stop and glass the draws, you should find elk, getting to them might be something else, fairly steep. Expect hunters as it is a popular area, although there a lot of elk. That road will get you into higher country. No snow yet to push them down, cows will be up there too, so post rut the bulls will still be in the area. Good luck!

I hunted in and around the Tex Creek Management Area in early November a few years ago. I was down low in the riparian creek and marsh zones and only saw deer. I would surmise up high is better and if grass sprouted on the burns from my year then elk should be hitting that for feed.

I was one of the 6.5% that harvested better than a spike last year on that tag. It was the most pressure I had ever seen on a hunt besides a dove shoot (mule deer tags are in there at the same time too) Couldn't outwalk the horses and I ended up closer to atv access that I had expected to. Ended up with a group of elk heading through a saddle I was watching that had surely got bumped. I capitalized on a 5x5 at 200 yds. 7.5 miles from the truck and was beyond grateful.

My buddy and I will be heading to unit 66 on the 12th. Hoping to get a day of scouting in on the 14th, since we’ve got a 23 hr drive. I’ve got a plan A,B and C. Does the motorized hunting rule at least keep the atvs and dirt bikes off the trails?

Yes, the vast majority of folks know and follow the rules. But there are always those who are ignorant or just don't follow them, like the crew utv of 4 guys with rifles I saw last time in there.

Back