Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Terri Schiavo

Michaelr

Are any of you following the Terri Schiavo story?

I am absolutly ashamed that this country and our courts are going to let her die by starving her to death.

I at first was kind of leaning towards the husband until I learned more about what was going on. I am now solidly in Terri's corner and believe that there is alot more to the story than the husband wants to get out.
:MAD :BLEEP: :MAD :BLEEP: :MAD :BLEEP:

have you heard EVERYTHING he has denied her doctors from doing to help her recover.. over 20 different treatments . he has moved on , has a commonlaw wife and 2 kids. he clearly is looking out for his best interests, he would rather be a widower then divorced...

I'm absolutely ashamed of our courts too, for even entertaining the idea of stepping in at all on this case. The Government should not decide either way on this issue.

I got a nice laugh out of GW Shrub with this statement: "When in doubt we should error on the side of life".

Really? I wonder how long he toiled over that thought when he sent another person to the electric chair while governor of Texas? I wonder how much thought he's given to that statement since waging war on Iraq and killing 1500+ American soldiers? I dont see how he "errored on the side of life" in that issue.

The bottom line for me, I dont have a problem with Shrub or the States executing their criminals, fine with me...but dont talk out both sides of your mouth. Death or life is fine for Shrub either way when its to his advantage.

The courts and the government should stay the hell out of peoples lives (or deaths), thats the one thing most people agree with from the Republican side of the aisle...now it looks like they've proven beyond any reasonable doubt, they cant even do that.

Its a sad day in America when something like this issue (it is a tough one for sure) has to be decided by some assclowns in black robes...

Also, the stuff I've read is pretty conclusive that Terri is brain-dead...she has no comprehension of life, and most certainly does not realize she is dying of dehydration or starvation. There is a point where "life" is no longer there, and I think thats been proven by a whole swarm of doctors in this case. Let the poor woman go...

Inhumane to me is letting someone suffer for 15 years with no chance of being anything more than a radish.

Also, the stuff I've read is pretty conclusive that Terri is brain-dead...she has no comprehension of life, and most certainly does not realize she is dying of dehydration or starvation. There is a point where "life" is no longer there, and I think thats been proven by a whole swarm of doctors in this case. Let the poor women go...
I agree but her time will come as everyone else's does. But as far as starving a poor woman to death (brain dead or not) is 100% wrong in my opinion. I feel that if he wants nothing to do with her he should let her parents take the responsability. They are fighting for their daughter and he is fighting to take her from them something's wrong with that. It is a sad day indeed something of this matter has to be decided in our court system, a system I see alot of in my profession and have very little faith in.

And just think DR. Jack Kevorkian is still in jail....A guy who offered a humane way out of pain. he had so much support from families that the state of Michigan had to take him to trial at least 8 times....now we have to starve someone to death...unbelievable. :MAD :confused:

Wyomuley, you really agree with this: "Her time will come as everyone else's does"???

You dont have any trouble with keeping someone like this alive for 40-50 years? Without the feeding tube, she'd be dead, she doesnt even have the brain capacity to swallow food.

I give both the husband and the parents all the respect in the world. The husband could have taken the easy way out a long time ago by simply filing a divorce, and any court in the United States would have granted it. He didnt. The parents are just being parents. But, in my opinion, the parents need to grow up, they arent trying to keep her alive for HER, they're doing it for THEMSELVES. They're afraid to let go and are defying science, logic, and common sense. Their daughter is gone, and thats a fact.

All that being said, my opinion, the courts, and government have no right to get involved with this issue either way.

CJCJ, she isnt capable of even feeling pain at this point, so its really a non-issue on the starvation/dehydration...but for the record I agree with you. Its not any more cruel to let her die from dehydration than letting a house plant wilt and die. I aint trying to be a smart ass, but theres nothing left but a shell of what once was. Sad, really sad, but also true.

Yes I agree with that statement wether it be natural or helped. that being said I do agree that the courts should not get involved and I being a parent have know idea what it would feel like to be in their shoes but I would not want someone else to take my child from me if it came down to that. All I am saying is there should be a humane way of doing what is right and our society wont let it happen. This is a very opinionated subject and I wont discuss or defend myself anymore not looking to get any enemies on such a great site.

I just listehed to a nurse that took care of the poor soul for several years,
she has signed a sworn afidavid, that she could actually say a few simple words, could swallow,
could feel pain (Menstral cramps) and would moan until meds were given.
several other medical personel say the same, along with her family members.
There needs to be a more thourough review to make absolutly sure.
I personally wouldn't want to live like she is.
I absolutly also wouldn't want those "ass clowns in black robes" deciding my fate either
I also think the family should have some say, especially the mother, hell she brought her into the world and raised her.
The husband should have a little respect for that.
It was 7 years after she became the way she is that he remembered that she didn't want to live this way,
This case really bugs me.
The one lesson to be learned from this is to have your affairs in order.

there is alot more to this story than we are seeing on tv.while this is current news nationally it is long going local news. this woman is more coherent than the courts and media are letting us know about.she is not on nor ever been on any life support other than the feeding tube. yes without the tube she would be dead but without a fork we all would be. Terri is mentally handicapped but she hasnt had any therapy in 13 years, since her husband wont allow it doctors say they dont even know if she could swallow on her own.i wouldnt want to live like that but if i had any feeling at all i sure as hell wouldnt want to starve to death. we will probabblly never know her true condition but i am certain it is somewhere between the 2 sides that are being told.
www.terrisfight.org

Hit her in the head with a mallet and get it over with. Being able to moan and drool for a few decades isn't much of a life. If I were tenbears I'd want the same courtesy.

Greenhorn said:
Hit her in the head with a mallet and get it over with. Being able to moan and drool for a few decades isn't much of a life. If I were tenbears I'd want the same courtesy.

That is funny, spitting Tecate all over the monitor.!!!!!!

The government, the courts (same thing) has no right getting involved in this. What happened to the Republican Party that stood for less Government interference in Americans Lives. None of the Doctors that have said her diagnosis is wrong, even examined her personally, they watched a video tape. Made their diagnosis from that. Her husband could have taken the easy way out, divorced her, and walked away. But instead he is trying to fullfill her wish. He will be vilified for the rest of his life for this.
67% of the American people think the feeding tube should NOT be reinstalled. The right to lifers are behind all this, and helping push the parents buttons. Who is paying all these legal fees? The parents are broke, the husband is broke, are the lawyers working for free? Or are they funded by outside sources...PETA?

I don't think the politicians or the courts really wanted to get involved in this. Frankly, I think they were practically forced to. If her husband really hasn't allowed her any kind of therapy or free access to her by doctors, maybe someone did need to step in legally. I think there is something else to the story or else the Republican administration wouldn't have touched this with a ten foot pole. Their actions don't fit their normal views. This is a really awful situation with no winners and no good guys. I don't think it is really setting a precedent for for future cases. I guess it really gets to the issue of whether supplying food constitutes life support. I really wonder why the guy won't let the parents have her. I know insurance money is involved, but there have been offers to compensate him for that supposedly.

We treat our death row inmates better than she is being treated though.

Good insentive to get my living will in order. Neither my wife or I would want to live like that, but if I were the husband in this case I would walk away. Use a mallet or call Dr. Jack, but don't starve the lady. We wouldn't do this to our dog. The rhetoric from the religous right on this one is enough to make me think Michael Moore is half way normal. I heard on O'Reilly a couple days ago that Terri's care is costing the taxpayer's $80,000 a month. If this is acurate, than something is incredably wrong with the health care industry. Sad that the zealots have turned Terri into a political football is all I can say. No one wins.

Hi All!

I think it is about time you guys that think that this is the wrong thing to do should get your head out of your ass! Take a pole, how many of you guys would like to spend the rest of your life in that condition? So what makes you think that that is the way she wants to be? Maybe you should actually read up on the case. For eight years her husband tried everything to bring his wife back from the brink, nothing worked. He now had to listen to his wifes wishes, let her die in peace.
The second thing is that with a person that is in a vegitative state there is no feeling, no emotion, NOTHING. She will slowly slip into a deeper coma (for you wooses, that can be called sleep if it makes you feel better), finally she will take her final breath (probably a sigh of relief).
She has been kept alive for 15 years, this will be the last memory of her anyone has. I think that part is pretty disturbing.

Just my .02

SeeYa

I would not want a spouse like that guy, I would not want the government or the people to hold him up as my husband. He's abandoned her, he lives with another woman, he's had children with the next woman.

The parents should be that lady's family, not a "spouse" who has abandoned her. There's the error in the law, as I see it.

He could decide 15 years ago, but not now. That's what I think. Its an error to call him the spouse now!!!

With no spouse, then the parents would take over decisions, since there is no living will and Terry S. can't say much for herself. Anybody disagree with that?

Back