Tennessee Turkeys

We should have probably been at a 2 turkey limit for the last couple of years. I have always assumed that TWRA has meant well but has definitely made some questionable decisions.
Virginia is right there with you guys our turkey population is not doing well or that's my local observation. The property I hunt has seen a huge decrease in turkeys the last 5 years or so. I totally agree with RemingtonRules above statement.

Virginia is right there with you guys our turkey population is not doing well or that's my local observation. The property I hunt has seen a huge decrease in turkeys the last 5 years or so. I totally agree with RemingtonRules above statement.
Now I understand what Randy means when he says "Montana FWP must hate elk"!

My uncles and I have leased land in middle Tennessee for the past 22 years. We're just starting to see quail return as of last year. I've been hitting the predators hard through trapping since then. I hope TN doesn't make the bobwhite it's new game bird of the moment!

And even though there is a quail season with a low bag limit, I would never shoot one as their population is so low already. We also have a woodcock season but I've only seen 2 of them in 40 years.

We are just getting a taste of the non-resident hunter interaction that people out west deal with every year. It is humbling and I see their frustration. We are only selling 4250 NR turkey license and tags.

MT is selling 17,500 NR elk and deer tags. HUGE difference.

This is why we need to get together and have a coordinated effort for the conservation of TN Eastern Turkeys. I am available most of the time to attend TWRA/group meetings from Johnson City all the way to Nashville if needed.

Last edited:
We are just getting a taste of the non-resident hunter interation that people out west deal with every year. It is humbling and I see their frustration. We are only selling 4250 NR turkey license and tags.

MT is selling 17,500 NR elk and deer tags. HUGE difference.

This is why we need to get together and have a coordinated effort for the conservation of TN Eastern Turkeys. I am available most of the time to attend TWRA/group meetings from Johnson City all the way to Nashville if needed.
Agreed! I’ll keep my ears open and send anything I know your way. Between work, the military, wife and 4 kids I’m bound to miss a lot.

I’ve elk hunted CO and WY and I totally understand residents resentment of NR. I’ve always tried to be respectful and appreciative for the opportunity they give me to hunt in a beautiful place for an amazing animal that I likely won’t ever be able to hunt here in TN.

As a resident of Wyoming, I'm really not resentful of NR hunters. They're paying their share, and largely thankful. It's the resident hunters that cry and whine about any price increase that pisses me off. And the fact that we charge substantially more for a NR turkey license than a doe deer or antelope. 37 dollars for a doe license is a frigging joke.

As a resident of Wyoming, I'm really not resentful of NR hunters. They're paying their share, and largely thankful. It's the resident hunters that cry and whine about any price increase that pisses me off. And the fact that we charge substantially more for a NR turkey license than a doe deer or antelope. 37 dollars for a doe license is a frigging joke.
^^^^^This

TN increased their resident license fees in 2015 by a whopping $5 per license. A general hunting/fishing license is now $33 plus $33 for each seasons big game tag you want to add. I buy what’s called the Sportsman license which includes hunting fishing and trapping for all game in every season (archery, muzzleloader or rifle) for $165. I don’t bow hunt but the sportsman’s license excludes me from paying for any quota draw hunt applications or fees for Wildlife Management Area hunts etc. It was only the 2nd increase of resident licenses in 25 years!

^^^^^This

TN increased their resident license fees in 2015 by a whopping $5 per license. A general hunting/fishing license is now $33 plus $33 for each seasons big game tag you want to add. I buy what’s called the Sportsman license which includes hunting fishing and trapping for all game in every season (archery, muzzleloader or rifle) for $165. I don’t bow hunt but the sportsman’s license excludes me from paying for any quota draw hunt applications or fees for Wildlife Management Area hunts etc. It was only the 2nd increase of resident licenses in 25 years!
Same goes here in kentucky, I always go the sportsman's license rout. I've hunted TN a couple times mainly due to living so close, 45 minutes and I'm in TN. But I stopped several years ago mainly due to lack of birds seen and how much out of state license was. I wish kentucky would increase their out state license a bit. And yes after the THP series this past year on youtube the local kentucky pages on social media have blown up with out of staters looking for access and info. Maybe after one spring of dealing with ticks, chiggers and copperheads they might change their minds lol

Paying for media exposure, I dont have a problem with. It's not secret that game commissions make money off of nonresident sales, I imagine the bet was $10k was a bargain for the revenue return.

For me, the biggest problem is that it was a targeted campaign to increase pressure on a species TWRA had already acknowledged needed help and anyone with half a brain could tell that TN wasn't immune to the problems of the rest of the SE.

I agree with all of this.

As far as the advertising to NR’s go, it is kind of a no brainer. That NR license fee brings in 10x what a resident license does. These agencies run on money just like anything else.

I do understand your frustration though @VOLhunter.

Do you think they paid 10k to advertise to NR’s to help offset an expected reduction in license fees due to the reduction in bag limit they knew was coming?

This thread reminds me of what’s going on with our Elk herd in KY. It’s on the decline big time but it’s a “cash cow” to KDFWR so they won’t change anything. Won’t even admit the decline while there is no public land with elk and “outfitters” control almost all the private land.

I agree with all of this.

As far as the advertising to NR’s go, it is kind of a no brainer. That NR license fee brings in 10x what a resident license does. These agencies run on money just like anything else.

I do understand your frustration though @VOLhunter.

Do you think they paid 10k to advertise to NR’s to help offset an expected reduction in license fees due to the reduction in bag limit they knew was coming?
I don't think so. In TN, when you buy a big game tag, it is per weapon season and not for each game animal. If I buy a sportsman's license, that allows me to take the full bag limit throughout the state. In TN the big game seasons are broken down by archery, muzzleloader, and gun season. A big game gun license is good for deer, bear, and turkey. In the region I hunt, I can take 4 does during archery season, 2 does in muzzleloader season, 1 doe during gun season, 2 whitetail bucks throughout the state regardless of manner of take, 3 male turkeys in the spring and 1 any sex turkey in the fall. The middle and western portion of our state allows you to take 3 does PER DAY during the entire 99 day archery/muzzleloader/gun season. That's 297 does and 2 bucks in a season for 299 deer! Per person!
For a resident, you buy a $33 hunting/fishing license which is good for small game and fishing throughout the state. Add another $33 for a big game gun license which is used for all big game animals. Extra $33 if you want to hunt with a muzzleloader and $33 for archery. The Sportsman's I purchase is $165 but includes your migratory bird fee, application fees for quota hunts, our antlerless gun license, etc.
The TWRA also payed THP guys after they reduced the bag limit.

This thread reminds me of what’s going on with our Elk herd in KY. It’s on the decline big time but it’s a “cash cow” to KDFWR so they won’t change anything. Won’t even admit the decline while there is no public land with elk and “outfitters” control almost all the private land.
They advertise the KY herd as growing to the point where it can now donate elk to establish other herds. I doubt I'll ever be one of the lucky 10 people that draw an elk tag in TN. If you ever draw a Pennsylvania tag, I know a guy! ;)

I don't think so. In TN, when you buy a big game tag, it is per weapon season and not for each game animal. If I buy a sportsman's license, that allows me to take the full bag limit throughout the state. In TN the big game seasons are broken down by archery, muzzleloader, and gun season. A big game gun license is good for deer, bear, and turkey. In the region I hunt, I can take 4 does during archery season, 2 does in muzzleloader season, 1 doe during gun season, 2 whitetail bucks throughout the state regardless of manner of take, 3 male turkeys in the spring and 1 any sex turkey in the fall. The middle and western portion of our state allows you to take 3 does PER DAY during the entire 99 day archery/muzzleloader/gun season. That's 297 does and 2 bucks in a season for 299 deer! Per person!
For a resident, you buy a $33 hunting/fishing license which is good for small game and fishing throughout the state. Add another $33 for a big game gun license which is used for all big game animals. Extra $33 if you want to hunt with a muzzleloader and $33 for archery. The Sportsman's I purchase is $165 but includes your migratory bird fee, application fees for quota hunts, our antlerless gun license, etc.
The TWRA also payed THP guys after they reduced the bag limit.

Ah, I see.

It looks like Tennessee's license structure is a lot like the one here in Louisiana and in Arkansas and Mississippi.

I know that every one I talk to across the South says that turkeys are in trouble. I have certainly seen it here where I hunt. I guess the bright side is that Tennessee did something at all in reducing the limit. Here at home LDWF seems to be completely clueless about turkey and deer management and scared to change anything. If you talk about having more lottery permit hunts to reduce crowding and pressure on public, you get booed out of the room. We can't even get a "no jakes" rule put in place for adult hunters. In the meantime all the public in the north and central part of the State where hunt have went to very good for getting on turkeys to piss poor.

I feel your pain.

Nebraska has done the same with deer. OTC tags have pummeled the population and quality. The mule deer genetics in the panhandle are all but shot out. 1st state headed west to allow someone to shoot a mule deer and it shows. They finally just decided this week to cap NR tags.

The difference between the western states and us is the small amount of public land. It just gets absolutely hammered.

Nebraska has done the same with deer. OTC tags have pummeled the population and quality. The mule deer genetics in the panhandle are all but shot out. 1st state headed west to allow someone to shoot a mule deer and it shows. They finally just decided this week to cap NR tags.

The difference between the western states and us is the small amount of public land. It just gets absolutely hammered.
That has to be frustrating, I would like to hunt nebraska one day, mainly for turkeys but lack of public land has me hesitant to. What's your take on the turkey population? Hopefully limited non resident tags will help your deer population. I've drove through Nebraska a couple times and it looks like good hunting.

That has to be frustrating, I would like to hunt nebraska one day, mainly for turkeys but lack of public land has me hesitant to. What's your take on the turkey population? Hopefully limited non resident tags will help your deer population. I've drove through Nebraska a couple times and it looks like good hunting.
Turkey numbers are about 20% of what they were at their peak 10 years ago. They’re in a pretty sad state as well. There’s pockets with a lot of birds, and you’ll probably find some. But it’s not a slam dunk like it was 8-10 years ago.

$64 for a resident to hunt deer and turkeys for a year. $214.50 for a nonresident to hunt turks for $7 days. Residents are far more likely to harvest the maximum allowable birds over the course of a season than a nonresident weekend warrior.

10% of Tennessee might be public land but you would think an invasion is occurring and the NR's are killing every turkey on public land? Obviously a few more turkeys have been killed by NR hunters but shouldn't the point be the reduction of overall tags and not so much who is pulling the trigger? With that much private land most residents probably have very limited access anyway.

I am starting to loath the constant shade thrown at NR hunters.

Well I guess the whole western US better rethink their game management strategy then. And residents better be ready to pay up.

That wildlife management requires money. If residents and non-residents are leaving a surplus on the table of a given species, whats wrong with letting NR know theres an opportunity open? That wasn't the case here but it certainly could be in some other states.
Tennessee is under a current study to understand the declines in the turkey population which was put in place by the Wildlife Commission. So when you also promote more hunting of a declining population you can see where the chase for money is at odds with managing the wildlife.

10% of Tennessee might be public land but you would think an invasion is occurring and the NR's are killing every turkey on public land? Obviously a few more turkeys have been killed by NR hunters but shouldn't the point be the reduction of overall tags and not so much who is pulling the trigger? With that much private land most residents probably have very limited access anyway.

I am starting to loath the constant shade thrown at NR hunters.
I have no problem with NR coming to TN to hunt. I have a problem with my state's wildlife management agency attempting to increase hunting pressure on a species that is in such decline, that we had to reduce the bag limit in attempts to reduce overall harvest. I would have the same problem if the attempt was directed at increasing resident turkey hunter numbers. I've been a NR hunter in many states. I'm pissed at TWRA!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back