Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Tell Me I'm Not Crazy

oldillini

Getting ready to head to CO for elk. Been struggling on which rifle to take.

First option is my Tikka T3 7mm Rem Mag w/ Zeiss glass. Great gun and has dropped both elk it shot at. It loves the Federal Premiums with 160 gr Partitions.

Second is a 1980 vintage Winchester M70 in 30-06 that I picked up 3-4 years ago and I've never shot it except at the range. Somehow, in all of the ammo turmoil, I found some Nosler's with 180 gr Accubonds. They shoot great in this gun out to 200 yds. Slapped on new Vortex Viper HS glass and I'm liking it.

I do not take a shot over 300+/- yards because the I just don't have a place to practice longer shots and gain confidence. Also, where we hunt, the shot opportunities would typically be limited to <400 anyway.

Really getting the nostalgia bug and leaning towards the 30-06. This caliber has taken a LOT of elk. Am I crazy?

Both will kill elk dead as the other. I always carry a backup when travel hunting, but I don’t know how you plan to hunt. I personally prefer Zeiss glass over Vortex, and one rifle may be stainless and the other blues, so those factors would play more into which gun I was carrying each day than deciding between those two cartridges.

Okay, made my decision. 30-06!

I definitely planned to a take a back-up and the 7RM can stay comfy in the truck.

For the ranges I will shoot, I actually like the Vortex glass better than the Zeiss. Primarily because I like its reticle better. But my plan is to have that bull within 100 yards, so iron sights might be enough. LOL

I'd take both just because I firmly believe in having a backup but the 06 will do the job just fine. It'll kill elk further than most people are capable of shooting.

Take both! Let your mood and/or weather help you with your decision. Both will kill elk.

It's good to carry backup along while travelling for hunting, Wish you success on your hunt !

If you can, take both. Always good to have a backup ... chit happens.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back