PEAX Equipment

Teddy Coming Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking this thread is about run its course, also. We will see if it can make it to Friday afternoon.

The Sioux are putting on their war paint and yowling to protest Pr. Trumps upcoming visit to Mt. Rushmore on July 3. We should really give them something to yelp about and begin carving his visage into the granite now alongside Lincoln. 😄

My guess is this one will make up Fin's mind.

For those reading 1984, please add “It can’t happen here” by Sinclair Lewis. It was written in the same time period for the same reasons and hits a little closer to reality (less futuristic). And of course the best political lesson of all time, “Animal Farm” is a must read - somebody always wants to be in the house - their rhetoric may vary, but they settle in all the same.
Yep...and there's always a Ralph blowing the conch or being afraid to.

Last edited:
Sticks and stones........... ;)

I don't care if you insult me. Just try to be creative about it; bring some class to the game. After all there are women and youngsters here right? If I was going to insult you I could write something along the lines of: I know where I'd like to shove a rams big horn. That's not really very creative but I try to tailor my retorts to the level of the recipient. ;)

I don't care if you insult me. Just try to be creative about it; bring some class to the game. After all there are women and youngsters here right? If I was going to insult you I could write something along the lines of: I know where I'd like to shove a rams big horn. That's not really very creative but I try to tailor my retorts to the level of the recipient. ;)

There goes his password.

Re: OP

Statues are amazing pieces of art. You learn and experience a lot more about something through a statue/sculpture that you will never learn from a lecture or a book. Visit the Stations of the Cross in Stratton, CO, and you will see/feel how different it is from reading the gospel of John.

A statue being placed in a public place at a particular time in history tells you a lot about society at that time. But times change, and most of these statues should be removed when the public no longer wants them to be displayed where they are.

The solution should not be to deface them, destroy them, or tear them down. Maybe they could all get moved to an outdoor “statue museum” where we could all go to visit and learn about the artist, the cultural forces that made the statue valued at the time, and an explanation of why the statue was removed and when. We could learn a whole lot about ourselves by doing this.

Statues are amazing pieces of art. You learn and experience a lot more about something through a statue/sculpture that you will never learn from a lecture or a book. Visit the Stations of the Cross in Stratton, CO, and you will see/feel how different it is from reading the gospel of John.

A statue being placed in a public place at a particular time in history tells you a lot about society at that time. But times change, and most of these statues should be removed when the public no longer wants them to be displayed where they are.

The solution should not be to deface them, destroy them, or tear them down. Maybe they could all get moved to an outdoor “statue museum” where we could all go to visit and learn about the artist, the cultural forces that made the statue valued at the time, and an explanation of why the statue was removed and when. We could learn a whole lot about ourselves by doing this.

Agreed. I have no beef with a statue or monument being removed but do it legally and democratically via the Legislative Process upon which our Republic functions.

I don't disagree at all. Aren't we all the public? Shouldn't the majority decide? Doesn't seem to be happening now. Not sure how that best gets resolved. But tearing them down by unlawful force should not be tolerated.

Elected or appointed leaders typically make decisions to remove statues. I think this is well and good. Most of the time the decision to remove a statue is due to desire to appear politically correct.

If you took a direct vote among citizens, in the vast majority of cases you’d get a majority saying keep it up, and a small vocal minority incensed about wanting it taken down.

The issue I have is I might like the statute, but it pains me to see fellow Americans bothered by the displays, and I’d like them to feel like this is their America too, so if that means removing some of the symbols of oppression from the public square then that is a small price to pay to try and build a bridge and be empathetic.

I’m a privileged male WASP, and no statue offends me. It’s hard for me to understand what someone else’s experience might be. I’ll take their word for it that a particular public symbol bothers them.

I also believe in public order and the rule of law. If you want to vandalize public property, you should be prosecuted. I have no tolerance for any public figure who turns a blind eye to crime just because they don’t want to anger the mobs.

I don't disagree at all. Aren't we all the public? Shouldn't the majority decide? Doesn't seem to be happening now. Not sure how that best gets resolved. But tearing them down by unlawful force should not be tolerated.

Here's a question for you...

Are you familiar with the Janis/Steve method of solving an argument or doing a chore. Essentially if you and your spouse are deciding something each party says how important it is to them scale of 1 to 10 and the person who throws out the higher number gets preference.

When camping my neither my hunting partner nor I like cleaning up after meals... but he really doesn't like it 8 and I'm like meh... 4. I clean and he cooks.

So with regard to statues. Seems like on a lot of issues there are a minority of people who are a 10 on things, but they get out voted by a majority of 5s.
How do we reconcile that? As great as democracy is for resolving some conflicts, does it allow some things to fester because of majority apathy?

Example in current context:
100% of Native American's really hate Mt. Rushmore ~ 500,000 (they are a 10 against) .16% of total pop
1% of White people really like it ~350,000 (10 for keeping it) .11% total pop
50% of everyone else is a 3 keep it
49.73% of everyone else is a 3 remove it.

So the Mt. Rushmore remains, even though of the people that really give a rip a majority wants it gone.

Here's a question for you...

Are you familiar with the Janis/Steve method of solving an argument or doing a chore. Essentially if you and your spouse are deciding something each party says how important it is to them scale of 1 to 10 and the person who throws out the higher number gets preference.

When camping my neither my hunting partner nor I like cleaning up after meals... but he really doesn't like it 8 and I'm like meh... 4. I clean and he cooks.

So with regard to statues. Seems like on a lot of issues there are a minority of people who are a 10 on things, but they get out voted by a majority of 5s.
How do we reconcile that? As great as democracy is for resolving some conflicts, does it allow some things to fester because of majority apathy?

Example in current context:
100% of Native American's really hate Mt. Rushmore ~ 500,000 (they are a 10 against) .16% of total pop
1% of White people really like it ~350,000 (10 for keeping it) .11% total pop
50% of everyone else is a 3 keep it
49.73% of everyone else is a 3 remove it.

So the Mt. Rushmore remains, even though of the people that really give a rip a majority wants it gone.

I'm familiar with Rinella's argument method. You can take that argument all the way to Washington Monument, DC, and state, Lincoln Memorial, Statue of Liberty, etc..etc... Something just seems wrong about a vocal minority being able to make sweeping changes against the will of the majority. Not an easy answer but it seems the will of the majority should also be strongly considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back