Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

TC Scout Question - .54 Cal

Dixiedawg80

Howdy friends,

I enjoy hunting with my Thompson Center Scout, .54 caliber. I have shot TC Maxi Hunter bullets out of it for a few years and really liked how well they shot. Unfortunately they are really hard to find in .54 caliber so I'm giving some thought in switching over to either a .54 round ball or the Hornady Great Plains bullet. Does anyone have any experience with these? I really think the rifle will hand the bullet better, but I'm not opposed to the round ball? Any thoughts? Thanks all!!

I have shot exclusively .530 round balls out of my 54 Hawken. Killed probably 30 deer with it and several out to 100 yards (most end up being 30-60 yard shots). Never had a problem and have never recovered a ball. The advantage is they are cheap. I prefer to use a heavy patch 0.015 or so to get a good tight seal. I tried Hornady Great Plains but didn't like how hard they loaded so I can't comment. Depending on where you're hunting you could try PowerBelt bullets.

I'm hoping to try the Lee R.E.A.L bullet soon if I can get some lead casted.

ive been using the hornady great plains in my lyman .54 cal and they seem to work great for me,load easy,shoot good to 200 yrd + w good knock down,though they do start to drop off fast due to there weight and b.c.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back