Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Taxidermy for fish

Butcher

I heard the other day that there is a place you can send pics of your fish and they will do a replica? Curious about cost and if it’s realistic looking. Has anyone had any done?

Most fish taxidermy now is nothing more than a replica. Shouldn’t be hard to find a taxidermist that will produce a replica from a photo and a measurement or two. Of course the advantage of a replica is that you don’t have to kill the fish or try to preserve a fish during the rest of your fishing trip. I have 2 skin mounts and 1 replica. Personally I prefer the look of skin mounts. Nostalgia I guess. A replica is simply a 3D life sized photo. Everyone that loves to fish should have a fish or three on the wall.

I got a bunch of replicas of rough fish made last year. They were a shovel nose sturgeon, buffalo, carp, sheepshead, red horse, flathead, channel cat, and a bullhead. It was for a commercial fishing exhibit at our nature center. We just told the taxidermist to make them average size for the species, we didn’t have measurements or a picture. He charged $24 per inch if I remember correctly. I’ll take a picture of them this afternoon when I’m at work.

You guys are killing me. I caught a 19” trout I was wanting to do a replica of. I looked at the lax replicas and they charge 18.95 per inch. So for a 19” it would be 360.05? I’m thinking girth is an added measurement right?

You guys are killing me. I caught a 19” trout I was wanting to do a replica of. I looked at the lax replicas and they charge 18.95 per inch. So for a 19” it would be 360.05? I’m thinking girth is an added measurement right?

I’m not sure, I would think $360 would seem about right. Their work is amazing, if I ever got a truly big fish I wanted a repo of that’s who I would go with.

We recently did a addition to our home and my wife tells me why don’t you get one of your flatheads mounted?? My first response was dumb and I said “you would actually let me”? I quickly realized my mistake and said “you are so right”. I’m learning, slowly but surely lol

A big enough mount fish or deer would cover all my construction mistakes, with the right lighting of course

I’m definitely going to shoot them a email and look into it. Maybe add a few inches..

Most fish taxidermy now is nothing more than a replica. Shouldn’t be hard to find a taxidermist that will produce a replica from a photo and a measurement or two. Of course the advantage of a replica is that you don’t have to kill the fish or try to preserve a fish during the rest of your fishing trip. I have 2 skin mounts and 1 replica. Personally I prefer the look of skin mounts. Nostalgia I guess. A replica is simply a 3D life sized photo. Everyone that loves to fish should have a fish or three on the wall.
I brought a nice cat home one time and was trying to figure out if I should stuff it and hang it on the wall or fry it and dunp in in my stomack! Stomack won but I really do like looking at stuffed fish.

I had a big northern pike done caught and released in Canada.
Very pleased with the results.

Back