Yeti GOBOX Collection

Target animals

Highground

Just curious how many guys out there enjoy targeting specific animals. Ive gone after this Whitetail two seasons now, and think I may have a better plan this year. Hes actually got 4 points on each eye guard. If you have pictures of your target animal post em up here, then when you bag it post your success here as well. Might be pretty cool!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-12-04-12-39-25.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-12-04-12-39-25.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 376
  • Screenshot_2017-12-06-22-06-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-12-06-22-06-27.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 373
  • Screenshot_2017-12-06-22-03-11.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-12-06-22-03-11.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 378
Hard to do when you're hunting public land and first have to draw a tag! :D

I targeted an antelope doe a couple of years ago during archery season. There was a huge buck in this one herd that I was on for 3 weeks. Every time I got within 100 yards she blew and they ran. This happened every day for several stalks. She had a bald spot on her ass, so I knew it was her every time. Well, I got within range one day and she offered a shot and her backstraps were on the grill that night :cool: As of last fall the buck was still around, so I'll be after him again if he's still alive this year.

I love doing it and I only hunt public lands but not nearly as crowded as some I guess. There's something special about chasing one animal, doesn't always work out. Most of my one animal hunts are based on that years scouting not year to year animals.

Bow hunting whitetails in the Midwest I have a "target buck" but out west I typically don't. I have a standard or expectation for each area I hunt but not one specific buck. Nice whitey BTW

That WT in the pictures is primarily a public land buck, though he does wander into some orchards Im sure. He always finds the "unhuntable" public land during the rut. I have yet to get near him during archery when I normally see him and when hes on huntable land. Hes not the only Buck I go after, but he is the only one to have given me "the slip" so many times. Hes a big old dude pics dont really do him justice

Once in a while I get obsessed with a particular animal but it is really contrary to success to hold out for one particular animal where I hunt in Western Oregon. Animals here are very random in their locals so I usually end up killing a different critter.

I had my mind set on a certain buck two years ago, and in the process I passed the biggest whitetail I’ve ever passed on(with my bow non the less). Probably not big in many places but where I hunt he was. The one I passed was in the mid 140’s. The buck I was after got shot by the neighbor, he went 152. If I had the opportunity for the chance again I would have shot the 140’s buck.

I think the key detail left out in my post was I was thinking about where I live, Colorado. I wasn't implying that public land makes it impossible to watch a buck grow, but consider this here in Colorado:

1.) The majority of people live far from their hunting spot.
2.) In many units, you won't get a tag every year.
3.) You cannot hunt every season - you have to pick your weapon/season.
4.) The seasons are generally short. Archery is 5 weeks. Rifle seasons are 5-9 days.
5.) The home range of most western game is far larger than a whitetail, plus most migrate.

This is a huge contrast to some states where you can essentially hunt the same animal from Mid-August to January.

Is it still possible? Sure, and there are some circumstances that increase the possibility. For example, someone might have access to a piece of public that's landlocked by private.

Its still very cool when you can do that, and I applaud those that make it happen!

This is who I am after - Public land bull elk, archery season, have seen him two years in a row. Last year was close call with a friend and no shot opportunity. Big 6 and club.

MFDC0125.jpg

MFDC0128.jpg

Gonna be going after this buck this fall. My son missed him duringthe youth hunt and he disappeared till late season. Found one shed from him, scores just shy of 70 inches. He lives primarily on public land.
ATTACH]82472[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMG_0194.jpg
    IMG_0194.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 184
At least for white tails one thing to consider when targeting a certain buck is how the rack may change from year to year. I spent a little time working a deer study where we trapped collared and tagged deer. All free range public land and some adjacent private land. Generally most racks kept the same characteristics throughout the years of the study, but there were also many exceptions.
"Trash" went from being a crazy looking nontypical to a typical 8 from one season to the next.
"Flat Top" went from a typical to nontypical with multiple long cowhorn spike like horns coming off his main beams. He had some odd body injury and we guess the stress caused a different rack.
"Richard" grew so much and developed kickers from 3.5yo to 4.5yo that we wouldn't have expected it to be the same buck without tags and trail cameras.

Also some unique characteristics are genetic and can be seen repeated in generations. Not disclaiming anyone that says they've hunted a certain buck, but there are some variables at play.

This year?

Attachments

• IMG_0429.jpg
    IMG_0429.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 171
  • MFDC4838.jpg
    MFDC4838.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 170
  • MFDC4839.jpg
    MFDC4839.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 168
  • WGI_0007.jpg
    WGI_0007.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 170
It’s tough to do but I think it’s a lot more rewarding when you are able to be successful at taking a specific animal rather than just randomly running into something. It’s pretty cool trying to learn an animals habits and tendencies.

Having been fortunate enough to take many P@Y bucks and 1 B@C, I myself find it very rewarding to kill a target animal. That being said, my most miserable season was spent targeting a 160’s 10 point. I wanted him badly, and put too much pressure on him. Good luck with your buck, just make sure you enjoy the pursuit and dont put undue pressure on you or him !

I targeted a big eight saw him once at 80 yards (hunting with a bow ) Had him coming at me on a scent trail only to have another hunter mess it up. That deer got hit on the road two days later, upper 140's buck. Now the only target animals I shoot are on paper less frustrating but don't taste as good.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back