Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Talked myself out of a 7prc today.

popeyoung12

I have many pre64 mod. 70 calibers. Bought a 6.5 prc last summer for a sheep hunt, love it. Wanted a 7prc for elk, then realized outside ca. I can go from a 127 copper to a 147 lead with the 6.5prc. Good enuff for elk. Saved me 2k.

Theres a lot of truth in your existing gun will work for a new purpose just fine.

There is a lot of fun to be had in purchasing a new one 😃

When you compare the velocities, fps of the 7 prc to the 280ai or 7mm Rem... or the 7 SAUM one comes to realize you are burning a LOT more powder (esp. compared to the 280ai and SAUM) for little to no gains in performance with handloads.

My best 280ai handloads exceed some actual 7prc (factory ammo) performance numbers I have read... with less bang, less recoil and considerably less powder.

I'm sure SOMEBODY that has a 7prc will come on here to argue this, but facts are facts.

Last edited:
I've talked myself out of a 7prc multiple times. I get close to 3000 with 147s and 3315 out of 124Hammers in my 6.5PRC (they are spicy loads). Not much would survive a correctly placed shot from either.

Burning tons of expensive rare powder is a tough pill to swallow

When you compare the velocities, fps of the 7 prc to the 280ai or 7mm Rem... or the 7 SAUM one comes to realize you are burning a LOT more powder (esp. with the 280ai and SAUM) for little to no gains in performance with handloads.

My best 280ai handloads exceed some actual 7prc (factory ammo) performance numbers I have read, with less bang, less recoil and considerably less powder.

I'm sure SOMEBODY that has a 7prc will come on here to argue this, but facts are facts.
7 prc exceeds 280ai/7saum velocities (with more powder), and exceeds 7mm rm velocities (with less powder) with long bullets - following a factory COAL. Look at any reloading manual or factory loadings.

Your opinion based on comparing 2 favorable anectodes isnt "fact" - there are people getting around 3k fps reloading 7mm prc with 195 grain bullets.

Im sure SOMEBODY will come and tell me their brothers uncle-in-laws-step-sisters-son will say therss is better with a custom chamber, 35 inch barrel, custom throat, and kills elk somehow better. But "facts are facts"

7 prc exceeds 280ai/7saum velocities (with more powder), and exceeds 7mm rm velocities (with less powder) with long bullets - following a factory COAL. Look at any reloading manual or factory loadings.

Your opinion based on comparing 2 favorable anectodes isnt "fact" - there are people getting around 3k fps reloading 7mm prc with 195 grain bullets.

Im sure SOMEBODY will come and tell me their brothers uncle-in-laws-step-sisters-son will say therss is better with a custom chamber, 35 inch barrel, custom throat, and kills elk somehow better. But "facts are facts"
Told ya so...

I have many pre64 mod. 70 calibers. Bought a 6.5 prc last summer for a sheep hunt, love it. Wanted a 7prc for elk, then realized outside ca. I can go from a 127 copper to a 147 lead with the 6.5prc. Good enuff for elk. Saved me 2k.
You would be pleasantly surprised how many elk that 127g LRX has taken. Not really any need for the 147.

Lots of elk taken with the 124gr Hammer Hunters according to the Hammer guys, and they certainly wouldn't recommend it if it was going to make them look bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back