Talk me into Coyote hunting

I've hunted coyote twice and it was a great time. Only time using a predator call which was a completely new experience for me. Was planning to try the meat, well that was until I started skinning them! I did get a great skin and it now hangs in my house.

I’ve killed so many I can’t remember and they still get my blood pumping to the point I’ll roll a pickup trying to get a shot.

For those of you that say you can’t make a dent, when I win the mega millions tomorrow my first purchase will be a fully armed cobra attack helicopter. I’ll win the war on coyotes.

They're really hard on fawns in the spring. I heard a number thrown around last year of 9 fawns per spring per Coyote. But that seems awfully high. I'd guess 2 or 3, but that's just a guess.

I trap coyotes. Skin and sell the fur. Not worth much this year, but I still like to try and keep numbers down. At $60/pelt last year they were worth it. This year it's 10-15$ a piece. Not really worth it. But even if you save 1 fawn/calf per Coyote killed its worth it imo.

It's a good excuse to go out hunting when most other seasons are closed.
A ranching buddy of mine put a trail camera on a den one spring and in a 2 1/2 week span the pair brought back 17 fawns (this was confirmed with time/date stamps on the photos).
I also think it's impossible to keep numbers down. In a 5-year span from 16-21 our small hunting group killed & sold 718 coyotes in a 75-mile radius of our hometown & you could literally not tell the difference year to year. Thats why i do believe the studies out there that say coyotes control the size of their litters based off population.

A ranching buddy of mine put a trail camera on a den one spring and in a 2 1/2 week span the pair brought back 17 fawns (this was confirmed with time/date stamps on the photos).
I also think it's impossible to keep numbers down. In a 5-year span from 16-21 our small hunting group killed & sold 718 coyotes in a 75-mile radius of our hometown & you could literally not tell the difference year to year. Thats why i do believe the studies out there that say coyotes control the size of their litters based off population.
Yep, the past 5 years we’ve killed between 120-200 a year in a 10 mile radius and they are thicker now than when we started.

Yep, the past 5 years we’ve killed between 120-200 a year in a 10 mile radius and they are thicker now than when we started.
I have heard the same thing superDuece said. If they have 3 pups die, they will have 3 more next year. No idea if it's legitimate or not.

The compensatory reproduction argument that a lot of green "conservation" groups like to use is a bunch of hot air. It applies to most mammals. If there's a lot of food and available habitat there will be a lot of young of the year critters the next year.

Shoot as many coyotes as you can. It's like pulling weeds, there will always be more next year

The compensatory reproduction argument that a lot of green "conservation" groups like to use is a bunch of hot air. It applies to most mammals. If there's a lot of food and available habitat there will be a lot of young of the year critters the next year.

Shoot as many coyotes as you can. It's like pulling weeds, there will always be more next year
FAC59B07-E6ED-4B8C-A1E7-00CA5C805F8B.gif

IMG_0318(1).JPG
This is why I shoot them... That year I shot 8 and during archery I rattled in a pack of 5 not once but 3 times. So you really need to keep them in check. You will never eliminate them all...they are like roaches!

I have never killed a coyote. I would like to but I almost never seen one, especially compared to bobcats. (I see more bobcats in one deer season than I do coyotes and foxes combined over four or five seasons.) Shot at a black one out the truck window about ten years ago, missed him, dammit.

I really don't ever put effort into pursuing them in any sense of predator control because it seems unnecessary in our area and really pointless to start with. I would like to tan one though, hopefully a big male or another black one. Might have to try for one sometime while it's still cold.

Did the EDM porting help with recoil? I had my 338 WM EDM ported and it was quite the difference and not any louder.
I can’t say. It’s been like that since I’ve owned it. I’m sure it makes a big difference but I have no before and after experience. It’s the only rifle I own with any kind of recoil or muzzle break.

In 2017 moved into an old farm house in a rural area with about 200 acres of corn field out the front door. In that time I've shot 11 coyotes from the confines of my mowed yard, most from my living room window.20221020_081313.jpg20190306_071021.jpg20190104_140443.jpg20181129_081033.jpg20220622_192944.jpg20220211_202743.jpg20210521_230816.jpg20210215_073034.jpg

Question on coyotes and livestock depredation: Is this only a west of the Mississippi issue? I grew up on a cattle farm and my folks still have one (central NC). I don’t know that we have ever lost a calf due to coyotes. And they certainly are abundant around here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back