Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

taking a survey out of curiosity

stonegraham

Do you take a youth to hunt on Private or Public land?​

• Private Land
  • Public Land
  • Both

IMO, I think you should take a 'younger youth' out on private if the opportunity is available. If the kid is a bit older and understands the uncertainty of hunting a bit better (or at all) I think it matters less. That said, I'd rather take a new kid out then not so if public is your only reasonable option, I'd take it. Take my answer with a grain of salt as I'm still a youth but I have had the opportunity already to introduce some of my buddies to the hunting woods.

Personally I’ve never understood some of the ridiculous youth hunting opportunities.

So your gonna have a 13 year-olds first hunt a 180 ram...

Public, it’s hunting not shooting I see no reason to guarantee success it just ruins expectations. Seems like a great way to create hunters obsessed with antlers and killing stuff every outing rather that hunters who just enjoy getting to be out in the woods.

Couple of hunts in maybe... so they see the full process. Cow and doe tags are great, but IMHO all limited antlered youth only opportunities should be eliminated, they can apply in the draw like everyone else.

I have taken cousins out on private because it is available. If it wasn't, I still would get them out on public. There are lots of opportunities either way!
Most important part is showing them how wonderful it is to be out.

When the opportunity comes it'll be a mixture but I'm not looking for either of my kids to shoot the first thing they see either. I want them to see that it's good to let things goplus that way we can go more as well.

All depends on the circumstance of things.

Here's a curve ball for the youth deal in Montana, I'm not a huge fan of the "mentor" program that's offered today. I don't believe anyone should be in the field especially that young of an age (10) without a hunters safety course under their belt and plus i don't think they should be able to hunt if they're less than the age of 12. My kids have tagged along on many hunts over the years and while they're starting to pickup and understand more they're not ready yet. I don't believe many kids are at that age either.......

Personally I’ve never understood some of the ridiculous youth hunting opportunities.

So your gonna have a 13 year-olds first hunt a 180 ram...

Public, it’s hunting not shooting I see no reason to guarantee success it just ruins expectations. Seems like a great way to create hunters obsessed with antlers and killing stuff every outing rather that hunters who just enjoy getting to be out in the woods.

Couple of hunts in maybe... so they see the full process. Cow and doe tags are great, but IMHO all limited antlered youth only opportunities should be eliminated, they can apply in the draw like everyone else.
Haha, I wonder if your opinion would change when/if you have children of a hunting age.

I would say both. I am all for opportunity. This was my son's first year hunting. So far we have only hunted public. Tomorrow he will have a chance to hunt cow elk on a ranch that has rarely been hunted. It will not be a "normal" elk hunt, but I think it will be a great opportunity to expose him to elk and to give him a high chance of success for his first elk. I think it's important though to explain the difference to youths between hunting private and public, and that their vast majority of hunting will be on public (in my case).

Haha, I wonder if your opinion would change when/if you have children of a hunting age.
Experience always influences your perspective, I’ve flipped on a number of things as my experience expanded, I suspect I will flip on a whole host of other things in the future... well except tillamook...it’s a B+ cheese and that’s just the truth.

This is perhaps, IMHO, the best kids hunting video of all time... really just the best dad teaching their kid to do something video of all time. https://www.instagram.com/p/CHApSJJDBFe/?igshid=189uau7no049t

Both. My kids are now 16 (girl), 12 (boy) and 12 (boy). They are all hunters. They all started deer hunting with me in an enclosed stand and were limited to short shots. Lots of coaching let to some success. Now they all have some experience and are starting to be more independent (ie, my sons both gutted out there deer with only advice from me).

Some advice for taking out a kid: Make sure they are comfortable. Too often I see kids with the worst gear and they get cold or can't walk in dad's boots. that ruins the experience. Will they outgrow their own boots and clothing? Sure, but by making them comfortable with their own gear, you are investing in a lifelong hunting partner!

Some advice for taking out a kid: Make sure they are comfortable. Too often I see kids with the worst gear and they get cold or can't walk in dad's boots. that ruins the experience. Will they outgrow their own boots and clothing? Sure, but by making them comfortable with their own gear, you are investing in a lifelong hunting partner!
Truth here

Experience always influences your perspective, I’ve flipped on a number of things as my experience expanded, I suspect I will flip on a whole host of other things in the future... well except tillamook...it’s a B+ cheese and that’s just the truth.

This is perhaps, IMHO, the best kids hunting video of all time... really just the best dad teaching their kid to do something video of all time. https://www.instagram.com/p/CHApSJJDBFe/?igshid=189uau7no049t
Haha yeah I have seen that before. Its awesome.

My soon to be 7 year old has been on both with me. I will take him on some private this spring for his first turkey hunting. It is not the normal deep woods stuff I hunt, but I can set up blinds for him and he can see the turkeys out in the fields, so it will make it more enjoyable for him. The public I hunt is steep, deep, turkeys are call-shy, and it is full of timber rattlers. He won't be going there with me until he gets a little older.

Everyone should be required to kill their first deer on public. Got my niece her first deer on public last year, after a couple hard seasons.

My kids will hunt public because its challenging. I want them to know the struggles and work for their success. If I let them hunt our families private, they will only use a bow and only take doe.

They go where I go. I think it's more important to make sure that they have a good time. Filling the tag is just a bonus. When they are young (like mine are), the hunt is a much more relaxed affair (tough lesson for Dad to learn). Sometimes that looks like lots of time in camp letting them play with sticks and roll in the dirt. Lots of snacks and try to keep them warm. As they get older, we'll get more serious about filling tags as their interest grows and they are able to hunt themselves.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back