Tagless and searching. Idaho?

mcelweed

I didn't know where to put this since I'm not looking at one specific species so it landed here. Like a lot of people I didn't draw anything this year in NM, so now I'm looking at options for next year in case the same thing happens. I've heard some things about the ease of access to tags in Idaho. Anyone have any good info to pass along on Idaho, general hunting areas [not your honey hole ;) ], likelihood of success with various animals [deer, elk, bear, etc], or just any other info. I'm already having hunting withdrawal pains. Thanks in advance.

Colorado is closer to NM than MT or ID for an elk hunt. WY has pronghorn tags you can draw each year as 2nd choice so can build points with your 1st choice to eventually draw a very nice tag. Most of the 2nd choice tags will have some challenges such as limited public land access but the hurdles are not insurmountable.

If you wan to scratch a big check, there are tags landowners/outfitters control in NM for elk, CO for deer and elk and UT for most critters. TX landowners can sell private land whitetail deer hunts. KS is easy to draw for whitetail deer tag.

Catch a flight to Hawaii and hunt a half dozen critters.

Of all the above, the WY pronghorn 2nd choice hunt will cost the least and the weather will most likely be pleasant and the terrain gentle. If you want to measure yourself physically then the MT combo license that has had leftovers after the main draw will allow you to deal with unpredictable weather, nasty terrain and altitude to your heart's content.

Good luck in 2016!

You could probably get a NM LO tag cheaper than a trip to CO or ID would be. IMHO

I'm looking for next year (surgery this year since no tags). I haven't seen LO tags for less than $600 in NM (and not many of those), most are $800+. How is the OTC tag availability in CO? I looking at Idaho because of cheaper tags and the possibility of overlapping several animal hunts on one trip. I had also heard there was a lot of availability for out-of-state tag opportunities. I can haul a camper up there for a base camp then hike in a few miles. Thoughts.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back