Tag your animal immediately!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not really a matter of whether the meat was spoiled or not. The most important fact in this case is that the hunter had his elk taken from him and not returned, even after they decided to drop the charges. Maybe the meat was donated as the game warden stated. If so, that's still wrong! It wasn't the game warden's meat to give away! Not to take away from the fact that the warden must be an absolute moron to drive around all day with an un-skinned bull elk that's only partially gutted in the back of his truck, on a hot, sunny day! The meat was most likely thrown away because it would not be edible, even for a dog, after being treated like that. The warden deserves to be fired as he's a disgrace to the state of Montana.

I think Rat Fink needs an anatomy lesson. You can certainly do what Jim did by dropping the stomach and intestines out from the diaphragm to the butthole and not mess up any meat. The esophagus and windpipe would be the last thing to take out way up in the neck and Jim didn't even get past the diaphragm to take out the lungs, heart, etc. This also, as others stated, doesn't even have anything to do with the GW taking the carcass before Jim could finish the job properly with the bull hung at the barn, so why he's spouting off is rather ridiculous. I doubt the GW will be fired over this, but I'd bet that if the Wardens show continues that he won't have any cameras following him around any more!

Last edited:
I doubt the GW will be fired over this, but I'd bet that if the Wardens show continues that he won't have any cameras following him around any more!

No they'll follow this guys father - another warden - the apple didn't fall very far from the tree.

Seems like a stupid law for the State of Montana to enforce, but its still the law.

I'd chalk that raghorn up on the lost list and move on. Life's too short. Plenty of other, bigger bulls to be killed in other places.

Might not get them out with a tractor though :)

No anatomy lesson needed here on my end. You cut the intestinal tract and you have a nasty meat spoiling mess. You cut the esophagus just in front of a bloated pressurized stomach, and you have a nasty meat spoiling mess. It is apparent that poor field care has just as much to do with meat spoilage as any other factor in this case.

I don't think Drew should have taken the inept hunters elk. I also think a warning if any disciplinary action was needed, would have been more appropriate.

In my opinion if you can't properly take care of an animal in any situation, you have no business pulling the trigger. Leaving the guts in it and blaming spoilage on Drew is just idiotic.

No anatomy lesson needed here on my end. You cut the intestinal tract and you have a nasty meat spoiling mess. You cut the esophagus just in front of a bloated pressurized stomach, and you have a nasty meat spoiling mess. It is apparent that poor field care has just as much to do with meat spoilage as any other factor in this case.

I don't think Drew should have taken the inept hunters elk. I also think a warning if any disciplinary action was needed, would have been more appropriate.

In my opinion if you can't properly take care of an animal in any situation, you have no business pulling the trigger. Leaving the guts in it and blaming spoilage on Drew is just idiotic.

You have no idea how Jim took care of the animal out there in the short explanation he gave and he didn't leave the guts in it. The part that was left to take out at the ranch was from the diaphragm forward and had nothing to do with the "guts"! It's very easy to tie the tract off before making a cut and now calling the hunter inept is really a bunch of baloney. Trying to pass things off now like you are and blame the hunter when it was in the process of being cleaned and possibly even being washed out and your accusations saying Jim had anything to do with waste when the GW confiscated it and then drove all over the place with it on a hot day is absolutely ridiculous!

Last edited:
Rat Fink must be related to the game warden!

The hunter wasn't allowed to take care if the elk- it was stolen from him!

Yes, technically he may have broken the law, although that hinges on the definition of "immediately." However, the game warden didn't have a legitimate reason for taking the elk for such a minor thing. If he just had to do SOMETHING in order to make the TV show producers happy, write the $100 ticket and leave the elk with the rightful owner. What he did was like confiscating someone's car for driving 5 mph over the speed limit.

Not related at all. In fact I barely know Drew. As I stated before all of my interactions with him have been great and I appreciate him as a Warden and helping me sort out a few tricky situations. Seems the only folks that complain about him are violators.

I drastically changed my opinion on this whole issue once I found out the guts were left in the elk and then trying to pin the waste of the game upon the Warden. BOTH parties are equally wrong in that regard.

Wow.....how hard is it for you guys to remember to tag and animal after you recover it. Its NOT THAT HARD!!! I hunt in Wisconsin and Colorado and the first thing I do when I walk up on my kill is tag it. Stop going after wardens, who protect our sport and do a good job, and read the regs and do your part by following them. I have no problem with this guy losing his elk. Who's to say he would have tagged it or not at all. That's why that rule is put in there in the first place. If the warden let him go then every hunter looking to not tag their elk would just wait and see if a warden shows up before he does so and if the warden does come up he can just play dumb. It's not that hard to follow the rules!!!

Wow.....how hard is it for you guys to remember to tag and animal after you recover it. Its NOT THAT HARD!!! I hunt in Wisconsin and Colorado and the first thing I do when I walk up on my kill is tag it. Stop going after wardens, who protect our sport and do a good job, and read the regs and do your part by following them. I have no problem with this guy losing his elk. Who's to say he would have tagged it or not at all. That's why that rule is put in there in the first place. If the warden let him go then every hunter looking to not tag their elk would just wait and see if a warden shows up before he does so and if the warden does come up he can just play dumb. It's not that hard to follow the rules!!!

You might want to get your head out of your rectum Sir and gain some reading comprehension! The elk was legally tagged well before the GW got to the hunters with his "tag along" videographer, as he actually watched Jim tag it through his binoculars before he decided to go down to the kill site to "do his thing"!!!

Last edited:
Not related at all. In fact I barely know Drew. As I stated before all of my interactions with him have been great and I appreciate him as a Warden and helping me sort out a few tricky situations. Seems the only folks that complain about him are violators.

I drastically changed my opinion on this whole issue once I found out the guts were left in the elk and then trying to pin the waste of the game upon the Warden. BOTH parties are equally wrong in that regard.

You obviously are also one lack reading comprehension! The hunters were in the process of completing the field dressing at the ranch as soon as they go it it there with the tractor when the GW confiscated it and would not let them complete the job. So much for your goody two shoes GW Drew that you appreciate so much!!!

This thread has long since passed its useful life. I hope Jim lets us know how the entire deal turns out. I think everyone posting here wishes it had a different outcome.

I'll be retiring this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back