Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Tag allotment

J

Jason73

How would it be accepted if instead of it being based on your state of residency for better tag drawing odds it was based on the GMU you lived in that gave you preference? If you wanted an almost guarantee you would apply in the unit where you reside. Then secondly the state you live in would give you an increase in odds if you wanted to hunt in other GMUs in your home state. 3rd would then go to outfitters and nonresident applicants. Or maybe it's an awful idea. Lots of ideas being thrown around and personally I think this would be great. I would be happy to get an edge in my home GMU.

I personally think it would stink and I do a lot of local hunting.

It is funny that every year I’ll start hearing hunter complaints about out of state hunters, then later it will change to out of county and next to ones that just live in further away towns in the same county

I personally think it would stink and I do a lot of local hunting.

It is funny that every year I’ll start hearing hunter complaints about out of state hunters, then later it will change to out of county and next to ones that just live in further away towns in the same county
Wasn't meant to complain about other hunters. Sorry if that's how it sounded.

Wasn't meant to complain about other hunters. Sorry if that's how it sounded.
I didn’t take it that way, just a personal anecdote of people being territorial or thinking they should have preference over others based on where they live

Several states give landowner tags. I could see doing away with "landowner" and making them "local" tags. More equitable in my mind.

Shouldn’t residences just be thankful they get 90% of the tags already to hunt on land that either they, nor the state they reside in, often does not own. As a NR I think you are doing pretty well already.

Shouldn’t residences just be thankful they get 90% of the tags already to hunt on land that either they, nor the state they reside in, often does not own. As a NR I think you are doing pretty well already.
How many tags do you get in your home state?

I get 2 buck tags and a pile of doe tags as a MA resident. Mostly I’ve been hunting on fed land.

Can’t really blame people who live in Utah wanting to hunt their state every year. The west is arid and therefore game populations are substantially smaller than in the east thus necessitating draws. Further states own the wildlife, not private individuals not the fed, there should be NR opportunity and sometimes the scale shifts too much but R should have the lions share.

How would it be accepted if instead of it being based on your state of residency for better tag drawing odds it was based on the GMU you lived in that gave you preference? If you wanted an almost guarantee you would apply in the unit where you reside. Then secondly the state you live in would give you an increase in odds if you wanted to hunt in other GMUs in your home state. 3rd would then go to outfitters and nonresident applicants. Or maybe it's an awful idea. Lots of ideas being thrown around and personally I think this would be great. I would be happy to get an edge in my home GMU.
How does that work if I live in a 20 point draw unit? For instance there are 30,000 people who live in my GMU and for that animal and season they give out 25 tags? And I’m talking Deer and Elk not sheep/goats.

How many tags do you get in your home state?

I get 2 buck tags and a pile of doe tags as a MA resident. Mostly I’ve been hunting on fed land.

Can’t really blame people who live in Utah wanting to hunt their state every year. The west is arid and therefore game populations are substantially smaller than in the east thus necessitating draws. Further states own the wildlife, not private individuals not the fed, there should be NR opportunity and sometimes the scale shifts too much but R should have the lions share.
I get 36 deer tags and if you come hunt here so will you. My point is I am just a little stunned at the idea...obviously anyone living a great GMU would support it. I feel bad for the residents of a not so good GMU. Is it really fair? If I lived there I would be saying "no". Getting 90% of the tags isn't enough now. Residents now want more of the good tags closer to home. It just seems like a strong push on public owned land.

I get 36 deer tags and if you come hunt here so will you. My point is I am just a little stunned at the idea...obviously anyone living a great GMU would support it. I feel bad for the residents of a not so good GMU. Is it really fair? If I lived there I would be saying "no". Getting 90% of the tags isn't enough now. Residents now want more of the good tags closer to home. It just seems like a strong push on public owned land.
Demand so far outstrips number of animals in some areas that even if you limited it to locals you’d still only hunt once a decade.

A good GMU to live in under your system would be a current OTC-esk unit, a limited one would suck.

Demand so far outstrips number of animals in some areas that even if you limited it to locals you’d still only hunt once a decade.

A good GMU to live in under your system would be a current OTC-esk unit, a limited one would suck.
Imagine the blowback as unit boundaries revise. Ever been in a school district where they are closing a school? Fireworks. Imagine taking a draw unit and changing to OTC. Or cutting tag allotment. The more localized you make an issue then the harder is to keep politics out of the process. Look at military base shut-downs.

This subject comes up every year in Saskatchewan once draw results come out. It quickly turns into the Sour Patch kids once guys who only apply in their home zone which issues 25 bull moose tags (you can apply in 6 total per animal) don't draw, but guys like me draw moose, elk or mule deer tags every few years. These guys don't really play the odds, or know how to, and just buy one lotto ticket. I personally prefer buying several more lotto tickets and not draw the big draws and hunt more often.

"i FeEd tHeSe eLk YeAr RoUnD, i ShOuLd bE aBle tO hUnT tHeM, YoU dOnT"... Yeah, well my taxes pay your AG gov't subsidies, what's your point? Not everyone can live where they want for various reasons, simply put, not everyone owns 8 Sections in Saskatchewan WMZ 29, the majority of people in the area by far live in Saskatoon which is SWMZ. We shouldn't favour those who own land in key units.

GMU in my area aren't actually that big, our county has multiple units for each animal (county is basically the size of Rhode Island), don't see how this would work.

When someone has a solution/change like this, my first question is always "what problem are you trying to solve?" If that doesn't have a good answer, then there no change to discuss.

How does that work if I live in a 20 point draw unit? For instance there are 30,000 people who live in my GMU and for that animal and season they give out 25 tags? And I’m talking Deer and Elk not sheep/goats.
I was thinking about that as well. Maybe you get your name in the hat one more time if you reside in that unit?

I was thinking about that as well. Maybe you get your name in the hat one more time if you reside in that unit?
So the 3 million people in Denver get no benefit to living in the state?

Essentially they have tried and are continuing to push for what your taking about in Alaska.

A resident of CO springs has just as much right to a deer in Routt county as a resident of that county does, management is at the state level. Not the county, not the fed, not the GMU.

If Colorado or Wyoming wants to close off all NR hunting that is their prerogative. Some states don't allow NR to hunt specifics species, it's within their rights.

So the 3 million people in Denver get no benefit to living in the state?

Essentially they have tried and are continuing to push for what your taking about in Alaska.

A resident of CO springs has just as much right to a deer in Routt county as a resident of that county does, management is at the state level. Not the county, not the fed, not the GMU.

If Colorado or Wyoming wants to close off all NR hunting that is their prerogative. Some states don't allow NR to hunt specifics species, it's within their rights.
Again, I wasn't saying I supported this idea. It was something that came to mind and figured best to ask others opinions. Your opinion makes a lot of sense.

Again, I wasn't saying I supported this idea. It was something that came to mind and figured best to ask others opinions. Your opinion makes a lot of sense.
I didn't think you were, just providing the response against it.

Scarce resource, people are going to be pissed whatever you do... best management strategy is the one that fairly distributes the resource and conserves it for future generations.

Back