T Bone's Sheep Hunt II Pics

T Bone

I developed a roll of film and found some forgotten pics of my sheep hunt part 2. This is the hunt when I went in solo for 7 days as a last ditch effort to kill my once in a lifetime Idaho Rocky Mtn Bighorn.

This is packing in. 10 miles in and only halfway there!
sheep_hunt_pix0005.sized.jpg

A sub-legal ram I stumbled on. He was with 3 ewes and a lamb which can't be seen in the photo. He was a couple inches short of being 3/4 curl.
sheep_hunt_pix0004.sized.jpg

Young billy goat
sheep_hunt_pix0003.sized.jpg

Family of goats
sheep_hunt_pix0002.sized.jpg

Then the weather came in....This is the trail out after melting off all day. This pic was taken with 8 miles to go and it was getting dark..I was the last person out for the season.
sheep_hunt_pix0001.sized.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-02-2003 22:13: Message edited by: T Bone ]</font>

Those are some awesome pics T-bone. You are a ballsy guy to do a solo hunt like that. I really wish you would have found the one you were looking for, but obviously you had a fulfilling hunt none the less.

Thanks for the pics.

Tyson Buddy.. I'm draewing next year.... Glad you got all the Pictures so I know what to Expect
wink.gif

Keep um coming, I love them !!!

Tyson Buddy.. I'm draewing next year.... Glad you got all the Pictures so I know what to Expect
wink.gif

wink.gif

Are you padding your post Moose-man, or did you fall asleep on the keyboard?
wink.gif

Uhhhh OOPS ?!?!!? I guess I got an Ass chewing for not posting... So that made up for it eh ?

I've bnne having prob's with this puter sending stuff... Time to Defrag
eek.gif

I do love the Pictures... DID I mension that
elkgrin.gif

Great Pics T! Kinda strange seeing those goats in those blow downs. I think that is the prettiest country I have seen in Idaho...pics & in person.

Great Pics T-Bone, and I will only Post it one time....
rolleyes.gif

That country is awesome, and my stomach gets butterflies just looking at that country. 99.9% of the people in Idaho will never see that gorgeous place.

And again, hats off to you for doing it solo.
elkgrin.gif

thanx for sharing the pix..that sure is inspiring country. Is it common to find goats in such terrain, l always imagined them in bluffs..ds

Awesome pictures. Thanks.

I am probably going to be laughed off out here but I have to ask a stupid question...how in the hell do you get the meat out of the woods and into the house on hunts like these? The pictures of the terrain are awesome but i have always wondered how a harvested animal was dealt with. Especially moose, elk, bear. I hunt farmland in TN. When my buddy (my kill record is still a big zero) shoots a deer we simply drag it to an open field...field dress it, throw it in the back of my truck and in less than 15 minutes we can check the animal in and have him hanging in a walk in cooler. I would love to hear some stories about some "real" hunts.

Buckfish.. The reality on some hunts is you loose meat. The other reality is Guys from These states that hunt that terrain are in ALOT better shape then you Back east boys. No Offence Implied but We're used to hills, Hike them and Enjoy packing alot of weight on our backs (I'm sure everyone will back me up with that statement
wink.gif
) trust me, there is a Few "IN SHAPE" hunters Like Tyson. He's Very in shape, and worked hard getting ready for that hunt. Just like Me next year when I draw
biggrin.gif

A good way is to Leave all your Gear up there and Get the hell out of there with your pack and a Deboned critter. Even better would be having Lama's or a friend or two to help you out. I would do what I could but An Early hunt like his First trip on a Solo deal you might be pressed on Getting any meat out.

buckfish,

On my solo hunt, had I killed a big ram I'd be dealing with about 90 pounds of boned out meat, and 45 pounds of cape and horn. Plus 30 pounds of my gear. Two trips would have been needed.

I'd planned this out in advance. 1st trip of just 90 pounds of meat. Leave the tent ,gear, and head and cape. One long day to make the 19 miles out to the truck. Where my dad is waiting to take care of the meat.

I had extra tent, food, and sleeping gear at the truck so I could sleep there. Go back in the next day (all day trip), sleep and eat. Get the gear and head and cape in the next trip.

Its very doable, it just takes time. Nothing gets done quickly when a person is way back in there.

The first 2 week trip in there we had 2 llamas and we were living in relative luxury, had we gotten a ram it'd been pretty easy.

I still get all worked up and exciting seeing the pictures and remembering the experience. I'd been applying for 9 years for that specific hunt. There are easier units to hunt sheep but I wanted the wilderness experience! I almost had big rams twice but I putzed up one of them. I'll be applying again when eligible

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-05-2003 07:03: Message edited by: T Bone ]</font>

T B,

Great pictures and good luck drawing for sheep hunt- round 3! I think you have the fever! It never goes away, but can be some what controlled with frequent doses of sheep hunting.

Paul

Thanks for the replies. I have always assumed that you must be in good shape to be able to make it in such wild terrain. I try to maintain myself but by no means am in the shape necessary to hunt in the same woods that you boys out west do. I have hopes of hunting out west in the next year or so and can promise you that I will hammer away to be in prime shape.

Buckfish,

I think it is at least 50% mental, being able to keep going in the Mtns. And my bet on T-Bone's solo trip, it was 75% mental, as the area he was in has nobody else. Like he said, he was the last one out. And being by yourself plays funny games with your mind.

I know a guy who will be on the river at the end of March, but that country is shut down for 5 months...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back