Caribou Gear

Swayback, high withers and sawbucks.

Elkmagnet

I don't see to many horse related discussions on here but I am looking to a solution to this problem and thought why not ask.
Older gelding short stout solid s.o.b.
problem is he has had noticeably less on his withers lately.
Last year I noticed that the crotch of the sawbuck was digging into his spine at the top of his withers.
20220805_113039.jpg

I have a special "high wither" saddle pad that I put under his pack saddle as a temporary fix it got the crotch off of his spine but it created a few other problems and I feel like I should find a better solution.

20220805_112814.jpg

And old packers care to save me form beating up an old gelding?20220805_120629.jpg

Last edited:
I have a riding saddle that fits him still and have considered just packing him with these panniers over the ridding saddle. He did two bone in moose hinds like this and it was not something I would do regularly.20211116_115741.jpg

It will reduce what he can carry and I believe soft panniers will be a whole lot harder on him long term. Thoughts?

i have my riding saddle set up with extra rings on it, i can barrel hitch or basket hitch quarters to it,

they never move,,,,,
other then that no help,,

i have my riding saddle set up with extra rings on it, i can barrel hitch or basket hitch quarters to it,

they never move,,,,,
other then that no help,,
Do you happen to have a picture of the rings or the whole rigging? I might just try to put something like that on my saddles.

Have you contacted any pack horse suppliers to see if they have something for high wither horses/mules? High wither pad which you have with a modified high wither pack saddle might eliminate the rub and fit him better?. I bet there is something out there. Solid looking horse!

Have you contacted any pack horse suppliers to see if they have something for high wither horses/mules? High wither pad which you have with a modified high wither pack saddle might eliminate the rub and fit him better?. I bet there is something out there. Solid looking horse!
I haven't but I probably should. I was going to ask a few friends first.

Have you thought about trying to build up the tree? Or getting a new tree?

You can add a bit of extra padding about midway between the bucks. Best solution would be to buy another tree that's decker. You can make most of the sawbuck's leather rigging work with decker tree. Get a good decker with forged Ds, NOT cast ones. You can heat the Ds and bend them to conform to horse's anatomy. Or you can use a disk sander to reshape the ends of the sawbuck tree to match his withers. Or all of the above. Make that tree lay evenly against his back with no padding. Then pad him up. Is that Challis, ID saddlery still in business? They made great decker saddles. Might be able to get a tree from them.

Have you thought about trying to build up the tree? Or getting a new tree?
I did think about building it up but the complexity of the angles makes me feel I will mess it up if I try to shim
As you and @OntarioHunter are saying I might be better off with something different. I have never packed a decker but it sounds nice for a few reasons like this.
I'm also cheap and I may just have to use what I have.

Looking at your images again I don't think there's any way you can reshape that sawbuck tree. It was meant for a bigger animal. You might try a mule tree but that may be too narrow. Might work though. The problem with adding more padding = more heat and more tendency to roll = sored up horse. For summer packing I would toss that leather lined pad. It's a poor man's excuse for decker half breed. Go with a straight non-lined cool-back pad. Better ventilation. Stay the hell away from any pads with foam in them! Too hot! The old hair felt ones are a bacteria factory. Can't wash them. I never was a fan of panniers but if you're going that route use some thin plywood boxes inside them and you'll be able to load that horse as if he's wearing a full blown decker which are definitely heavy duty.

Packing a riding saddle is only a band-aid solution. If you have one rigged with crouper/breeching and breast collar then maybe a bit more than band-aid.

Looking at your images again I don't think there's any way you can reshape that sawbuck
tree. It was meant for a bigger animal.
This tree fit him fine when he was younger but he had a lot more in the withers.
You might try a mule tree but that may be too narrow. Might work though. The problem with adding more padding = more heat and more tendency to roll = sored up horse. For summer packing I would toss that leather lined pad.
That is a brown canvas also I don't think that I could roll a pack on him if I forgot to tighten his cinch. The way his spine is sticking out it has to come off to roll :(
Packing a riding saddle is only a band-aid solution. If you have one rigged with crouper/breeching and breast collar then maybe a bit more than band-aid.
I agree but it works in a pinch.

This tree fit him fine when he was younger but he had a lot more in the withers.

That is a brown canvas also I don't think that I could roll a pack on him if I forgot to tighten his cinch. The way his spine is sticking out it has to come off to roll :(

I agree but it works in a pinch.
If it's a hair felt pad with canvas covering, I'd get rid of it for cool-back. They are washable.

The one photo certainly shows his prominent withers but I can't tell how swayed his back is. Between some padding and altering the saddle tree to better fit his swayed back is how I would try to solve the problem.

I might try setting the saddle back just a bit to make certain there was clearance for his withers. Also, since his back is swayed, I would not ask him to pack a very heavy load.

Concerning packing with a riding saddle. I have not done it other than packing out elk. For that, the rolled up saddle panniers have worked very well for me.

I hope you come up with something that works for him.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back