Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Swarovski Ballistic Turret

JustinsDad

I just picked up my new Nosler 30. I mounted a Swarovski Z5 5-25x52 scope on it. I opted for the ballistic turret. it seems limited. It has 4 colored preset points you can set for pre determined yardages. It might be helpful at closer distances. Maybe zero it at 200, put the presets at 300, 400, 450 and 500. Have you guys hunted with this turret? It seems to me further out would be too much extrapolating to be used so0E9D8C76-1D0B-4874-AD8E-1418B9F4BD5A.jpeg you’d be right back to counting MOAs. Any input would be appreciated.

It’s a pretty vanilla setup. If I had that scope I’d order a standard MOA ring from Outdoorsmans and learn your angle holdovers. Don’t bother with matching a specific round.

It’s a pretty vanilla setup. If I had that scope I’d order a standard MOA ring from Outdoorsmans and learn your angle holdovers. Don’t bother with matching a specific round.
Appreciate the comment. I’ve counted MOA clicks on lots of other rifles but was wanting to do a little better on this one. I don’t consider this turret to be vanilla. Have you ever used this kind of turret with the different colored set points you can adjust individually?F4B71EB7-9CFF-4AF3-BFB2-7BF626C778EB.jpeg

I began by setting up the ballistic turret with my load. I ended up finding too much variance with pressure and temperature for my liking and ordered the MOA ring for the turret to replace the colored rings.

I have two Z5s, and ordered MOA turret rings directly from Swarovski. Their customer service was outstanding, and I had the turrets in less than two weeks.

I have two Z5s, and ordered MOA turret rings directly from Swarovski. Their customer service was outstanding, and I had the turrets in less than two weeks.
Good points, guys. I think I will do away with the ballistic rings. Now I’m considering getting a custom turret for my bullet or just going back to standard MOA rings like my other rifles. I will only use one bullet so there would be no different bullets to worry about.

Does your reticle have holdover marks? I'd trust them more than any z-series turret for dialing corrections.

It does not. Instead of holding over I was hoping to use a turret on this rifle. Is the z series really that inaccurate?

I can't say from personal experience but have seen a bunch of folks discuss the 3.5-18 model failing to track or return to zero properly after a while. Seems most are fine when new.

I tend not to trust light "hunting" scopes that weren't clearly designed for continuous dialing of corrections on a rifle that will see any significant amount of dialing.

I can't say from personal experience but have seen a bunch of folks discuss the 3.5-18 model failing to track or return to zero properly after a while. Seems most are fine when new.

I tend not to trust light "hunting" scopes that weren't clearly designed for continuous dialing of corrections on a rifle that will see any significant amount of dialing.
I see. That does make sense and that’s exactly why I picked this scope—-only one pound. My rifle is only 6 pounds, plus the scope makes 7 pounds total. I will probably opt for a custom ring for my bullet but I’ll try not to adjust it back and forth too much. It’s not going to see a lot of practice rounds once I get it sighted in properly. Only a couple of rounds to verify it’s sighted in before a hunt and then when I’m shooting at an animal. I will mostly practice with other rifles. Thanks for your comments, it is appreciated. I may end up getting a really heavy long range rifle where weight isn’t an issue.

Actually you should adjust it back and forth a lot. Don’t you want to establish if it’s reliable?

I trust Wind Gypsy’s point about wearing this turret out. I’m not going to adjust it back and forth a lot. No need to. I’m putting it on the chronograph in the next week or so to verify velocity. Then I’ll get a custom ring for my bullet. Then I’ll verify it’s accurate. I’ll do like most other hunters do and shoot a few rounds before each hunt just to re-verify it’s on. I won’t be playing with it back and forth like a plinking rifle.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back