Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Western hunting scope

freu1chr

I currently have a lei-old vx5HD 3-15x56 duplex. I love the scope i just wish it had some sort of either windage dial or windage marks on the retical. I want to be able to dial out to 1000 yards on my ballistic turret so i can practice out that far. Does anyone know of a scope that will do that for under $1500. I have looked at a Swarovski z5 but with a 300 win mag i can only dial ballistically out to 650 yards. Thanks in advance

A western hunting scope for shooting a thousand yards? Is that hunting?

When in Africa last year I shot my host's 300 PRC once at a thousand yard target. Hit it about 2.5" right of the bull. Amazing. I handed it back to him. The scope was worth more than my vehicle ... and all my guns ... and maybe both hunting dogs. No thanks. I have absolutely no interest in shooting at any animal that far away.

When in Africa last year I shot my host's 300 PRC once at a thousand yard target. Hit it about 2.5" right of the bull. Amazing. I handed it back to him. The scope was worth more than my vehicle ... and all my guns ... and maybe both hunting dogs. No thanks. I have absolutely no interest in shooting at any animal that far away.
I would never shoot any animal past 400-500 yards but practice at 1000 makes that shot a piece of cake.

I currently have a lei-old vx5HD 3-15x56 duplex. I love the scope i just wish it had some sort of either windage dial or windage marks on the retical. I want to be able to dial out to 1000 yards on my ballistic turret so i can practice out that far. Does anyone know of a scope that will do that for under $1500. I have looked at a Swarovski z5 but with a 300 win mag i can only dial ballistically out to 650 yards. Thanks in advance
I was just looking at a buddies gun with this exact scope but it had a zero stop cds dial on it. He was using it to shoot to 1000. Is this an extra option he had on his scope?

Well I guess we finally found something the 100 year old Springfield isn’t good for…

Sorry, to your question! If you like your Leupold why not get another VX5 with the windplex? I think at full power those hash marks are measured at 1 moa, should serve your purpose

I would never shoot any animal past 400-500 yards but practice at 1000 makes that shot a piece of cake.
I don't know that I would say 400-500 is a piece of cake very often under real world field conditions.

As far as a dialing scope, Nightforce, SWFA, and Trijicon would be on my list.

I was just looking at a buddies gun with this exact scope but it had a zero stop cds dial on it. He was using it to shoot to 1000. Is this an extra option he had on his scope?
No all the scopes have a zero stop cds dial for up and down ballistics just nothing for windage left and right.

The 171715 is the same as what you have except it has a 44mm obj instead of 56mm, but it does have windage marks. I have 3 of them. If you want both vertical and windage marks then the TMOA reticle is what you want so would be the 171700, but the tube is 34mm and list is $1900.

It's nice to practice out to 1k, everything 500 and under becomes significantly easier. Idk what the scope was, but unless you're driving a $2,000 car and only have a couple guns, it'd be hard to have a scope worth more than your vehicle, all guns, and dogs.

I have a 2.5-15x50 Athlon Ares that I love. It has a great solid zero stop, first focal plane reticle. Windage turret with illuminated reticle as well. Super clear glass.

It's nice to practice out to 1k, everything 500 and under becomes significantly easier. Idk what the scope was, but unless you're driving a $2,000 car and only have a couple guns, it'd be hard to have a scope worth more than your vehicle, all guns, and dogs.

I have a 2.5-15x50 Athlon Ares that I love. It has a great solid zero stop, first focal plane reticle. Windage turret with illuminated reticle as well. Super clear glass.
Get out your calculator.
20211122_075408.jpg
1999 Jimmy with +300K miles. Tires aren't great but probably worth more than the vehicle.
in the case.jpg
WWII Springfield 30-06
760 remodelled.JPG
1952 Remington 760 in 30-06
20221106_164038.jpg
1961 Browning A-5 Magnum Twelve (very high milage!)
20221103_170202.jpg
Eight year-old garage litter black Lab and twelve year-old French Brittany. Also very high milage on them.

Last edited:

Does the athlon track repeatable and accurately? Looks like a nice scope

Take a look at the various reticles and see one that you like: https://www.leupold.com/shop/reticles
I have found something in the max magnification of 15-18 works well for practicing out to 1,000. Personally the larger magnification scopes come with both a weight and size that do not work well for walking around all day. If it works for you try looking at first focal plane scopes and a reticle that has sub tensions on windage. Then regardless of magnification your wind holds will be accurate. With the second focal plane they are only accurate at one magnification level. All the major scope manufactures will have an option that will work for your budget, it all depends upon what features are the most important to you.

For the most part I am in the camp of FFP, mils, and a scope with zero stops for anything other than thick woods hunting. If you run out of elevation in your scope consider using either a base or rings with 20MOA of cant built in. That may provide you enough elevation travel based on 100 yards zero and the caliber you are shooting to get you out to 1000.

I have 2 Leupold VX-5 HD 3-15x44's and I think that they are the best western scope foe where we hunt in Colorado. I have one on my custom Remington 700 in 7mm mag and another one on my Tikka T3X in 300 win mag. The CDS works great. I took my first bull in 2021 with a 315 yd shot across a big draw. Hard to beat the quality and the warranty.

blacksheep

Like others said, leupold has some reticle options with windage subtensions.

Personally, I like the bushnell LRHS/LRTS line and SWFA SS 3-9 for my western hunting rifles. The trijicon credo and tenmile lines are intriguing as well.

Where are you shooting to 1000 yards in MN, gopher in Harris?

With 20MOA base, i've had no issues shooting to 1,000 yards here in the east.

Stevens 200 in 7mm-08AI with Sightron STAC 4-20X50.

Savage 111 in 7mm Rem Mag with Crimson Trace Series 2.

Ruger 77 MKII in 280 Rem with Burris Fullfield E1 "Longrange" moa reticle.

Weatherby Mark V Weathermark LT in 7mm WBY with Crimson Trace Hardline 4-16X42.

Shooting to 1,000 yards must be different west of the Mississippi River. :rolleyes:

My next scope is probably going to be a Athlon. I would recommend looking at the line to see which one is best for you. Get a lot for your money for a FFP scopes with great warranty. I like the midas scopes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back