Swarovision EL 10x42 vs. EL Range 10x42

Bighorn191

Looking at updating my bino's and wondered what input you guys can provide here on a simple comparison between the above EL Swarovski models. Obviosuly, very few people probably have both so I'm just interested in your experiences with either. I'm a long time Swaro fan and have 10x42 SLC bino's now. Nothing wrong with them but always hated the need for a rangefinder in the pocket as well while hunting - started looking at the EL Range to eliminate the need for a separate rangefinder. Then you start looking deeply into the new EL Swarovsion 10x42 and you realize that these are some of the best binos ever made. Thinking maybe I could still carry a RF if the glass on these are what they say they are. The EL Range are supposed to be good but not the same as the HD glass and crisp viewing of the Swarovision EL.

Can anyone shed some light on their field experiences with either one of the bino's - guess we could throw in the HD Swaro SLC's here too?

Switched from the old SLC to the EL Swarovisions a couple years ago. Better but can't say they're a grand better. As far as EL HD vs SLC HD I'd say ergonomics factor choice. I like the 'feel' of the EL's.

Personally prefer a separate RF.

Ive been also looking at the EL's and wondering if the upcharge is worth it. $2XXX is a lot of coin for a set specs. Even the best Leica's and Zeiss models are half of that or less. Id be interested in hearing peoples opinion as well.

Guess I'll throw in my 2 cents since I actually do have both. Well, did. Had to sell one to get the other. So I absolutley love these EL ranges. Only a few ounces heavier than my other EL's and as clear and crisp to me as the others. I've ranged over 2000 yards with these. As far as the glass in each, I really think that the human eye is only capable of so much anyway and trying to tell the difference between the other El's and my El Range is nearly impossible. I wondered the same thing with the Swaro Spotter Regular and the Swaro HD. Setting them side by side, looking at the same hillside, you couldn't tell a flippin difference, both were awesome. the HD is may be better for pictures but since I dont have an adapter for the camera, I can't speak for that.

I know if I had the choice again, I'd stick with the EL Range, no question about it. It's quite nice not having to worry about one more device to pack around with the rangefinder built in.

I doubt you could really tell the difference in quality of glass at that high of level of glass......

Critter...

That's awesome input and that's what I wanted to hear about. I am drawn more to the EL Range than any other one and I know a couple people that have them. To me, the convenience of one optic that both ranges and has great glass for spotting is the best of both worlds. The EL Range are out of stock almost everywhere. Crazy demand but I know Swaro only produced x number in case they were not well received.

I think you're right about the detail the human eye can see - there's subtle differences to me in HD and regular glass - you can see it, especially in low light but is it significant enough?

Still leaning toward the EL Range, so thx for the input.

Just a FWIW, but you might want to double check on the warranty for the rangefinder portion of the EL Ranges. IIRC, the electronics are only warrantied for 2yrs.

Just a FWIW, but you might want to double check on the warranty for the rangefinder portion of the EL Ranges. IIRC, the electronics are only warrantied for 2yrs.

Honestly, don't know........but even if so, thats better than Leica's:)

Swaro is pretty damn awesome about standing up to their stuff from what I've seen....I wouldn't worry about it too much.'

Honestly, don't know........but even if so, thats better than Leica's:)

Swaro is pretty damn awesome about standing up to their stuff from what I've seen....I wouldn't worry about it too much.'
I haven't read of anyone having trouble with the Swaro's and can't say the same about the Leica. However, for my budget, it's something I'd have to mull over when plunking down that kind of scratch and just wanted to put it out there.

I made the mistake of looking through BOY's Swarovisions. My Pentax seem like a cheap toy now...:eek:

The Geovids don't even compare to the EL Range. If you can get a pair of the 10X42 EL Range I would get them while you can. Cableas has them right now and they aren't on backorder. There are people who have been on the wait list for over a year. I know they are pricey, but they are worth it.

Another year and I will have enough Cabelas points to get some nice Swaros!! Just for using their credit card!

I have a pair of 10x42 EL's that I will sale. My Wife bought these form me last October for a Nov Elk hunt. Love the idea but really want the EL Range so figured I would sale these while they are still in perfect shape. Warrantee cards and all. $1800 to your door insured.

Chris

Guess I'll throw in my 2 cents since I actually do have both. Well, did. Had to sell one to get the other. So I absolutley love these EL ranges. Only a few ounces heavier than my other EL's and as clear and crisp to me as the others. I've ranged over 2000 yards with these. As far as the glass in each, I really think that the human eye is only capable of so much anyway and trying to tell the difference between the other El's and my El Range is nearly impossible. I wondered the same thing with the Swaro Spotter Regular and the Swaro HD. Setting them side by side, looking at the same hillside, you couldn't tell a flippin difference, both were awesome. the HD is may be better for pictures but since I dont have an adapter for the camera, I can't speak for that.

I know if I had the choice again, I'd stick with the EL Range, no question about it. It's quite nice not having to worry about one more device to pack around with the rangefinder built in.

I doubt you could really tell the difference in quality of glass at that high of level of glass......

Got to completely agree with CG here.
I've extensively used optics from the big 3 euro companies for 15 years. I have always preferred the SLC 10x42's over the EL's in the same power range as i found that extra weight helped me stabilise the binoculars, less shake or movement equals more movement from animals picked up, especially at longer ranges. I can't see an ounce of difference optically between SLC and EL. Then i got to test out a pair of HD SLC's for a few months, again, my eyes weren't able to pick up any difference, the company mentions extra coatings on lenses etc etc, but really i personally believe most of the changes they currently make are cosmetically.
I have used the Zeiss RF 10x45's for a season as well, great glass, a bit larger in size, good design, but when compared to my Leica Geovid HD's in 10x42's, there was simply no difference optically, although there is a little difference in the laser diameter, which is meant to aid you with misranging targets in cover or rolling country. I never had an issue as i only range if the animal is past 300m and normally you have plenty of time on him and i always walk the readings around the animal a bit to get a few hits back and make sure i am ranging that animal as accurately as i can.
Same with spotting Swaro spotting scopes, i have owned both HD and Standard, and i can't pick the difference. I have used the Leica 15x56's Geovid and they were good as well.
To be honest i have no experience with the Swaro rangefinder bino, or the Swarovsion EL's, but i assume there simply could not be that big a step up from what is currently out there for people to really dive in and make an upgrade or purchase.
Let us know what you decide on, my geovids 10x42 and swaro 15x56s probably cost about the same (if you were to get them secondhand) as this new Swaro binocular and that set up works great for me.
Best of luck

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back