Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Swap hunts?

"He could try for a public land tahr hunt in New Zealand instead "

If I was the one with the land we would be doing a hunt swap every year until you got sick of mulie hunting :)

Not sure how far he wants to travel, I just know he has talked to some guys in Texas, WY, KS, Iowa... ect and he could never get them to agree to a hunt. I mean hunting is never a guarantee. I just recall him talking to some guys... I think Iowa... who were like yeah we would have to sit in the stand with you and then you could only shoot the deer we tell you to and we probably would want want you to pay an extra $$$$ and you would have to come out during this season because we want to hunt the rest of the fall for ourselves... ect. Meanwhile his offer was hey come to CO, get a voucher so you don't have to deal with the draw come out for the full 10 day season and shoot the biggest buck you can find. He would be giving up his chance to hunt CO that season to hunt a whitetail and yet nobody was willing to give up their whitetail opp for the season they just wanted to get a CO deer and a deer at home, and more power to you but don't act like what you want is a swap. Those kinda guys just want easy access to a big buck for free. I haven't had any interaction with anyone like that on this forum... just past actors haven't wanted to put any skin in the game.

I can't compete with Midwest states where 120's grow on trees, but I'm sure that anyone that wanted to hunt whitetail in the NE I could put them on deer. I have done it before for a hunter from western Maryland that came up three straight years and was my uncles friend, I put him on a 130" 8pt year one, 135" 8 pt year two, and a 132" 12 pt year three. A lot of it was luck but it is possible.

@ wllm1313: I can't guarantee anything on the kill as I hunt public land in MS (where I actually live). However I usually take an 120" deer most every year while seeing some up to probably 150"(The largest I've ever killed is 138"). With that being said if your father-in-law wants to come hunt whitetails down that way then he is more than welcome to come hunt with me. If he had enough fun to share his tag, great. If not then all he is out is the cost of the NR license (which includes up to 3 bucks if the opportunity avails) and I get to enjoy some more time outdoors with another guy who hopefully enjoys it as much as I do. It wouldn't be guided but he could just hunt with me in the same areas. Either way there is no pressure on sharing his tag. I just enjoy getting outdoors and sharing with others.

Just a thought. He could also kill some hogs while he is down.

429458_10151349341065539_803318607_n.jpg
170589_10150128323285539_2051314_o.jpg
1476027_10152892370245539_8703897934262354454_n.jpg
10862664_10152995340530539_1178200474598483249_o.jpg

Last edited:
@ wllm1313: I can't guarantee anything on the kill as I hunt public land in MS (where I actually live). However I usually take an 120" deer most every year while seeing some up to probably 150"(The largest I've ever killed is 138"). With that being said if your father-in-law wants to come hunt whitetails down that way then he is more than welcome to come hunt with me. If he had enough fun to share his tag, great. If not then all he is out is the cost of the NR license (which includes up to 3 bucks if the opportunity avails) and I get to enjoy some more time outdoors with another guy who hopefully enjoys it as much as I do. It wouldn't be guided but he could just hunt with me in the same areas. Either way there is no pressure on sharing his tag. I just enjoy getting outdoors and sharing with others.

Those are some nice bucks! Solid work.

I think the problem is with people expecting an "Equivalent" hunt. Share what you got and expand your horizons to hunt for whatever. For me it's all about the new and different experience. If you are only looking at it as trading numbers ( 160+ 120+ ) than you are ............I'm at a loss for words.

I've got a place I hunt on where a guy could fill his freezer on pigs alone. I haven't had much luck deer hunting out there but that's probably on account of the cows and pigs. If someone wanted to trade a spring pig shoot for a mule deer hunt I'd probably let him borrow my gun while he's here so he didn't have to waste his own ammo.

Your Dad is more then welcome to come out and hunt my deer spots for up to 2 weeks.That's length of our season for rifle.And I hunt a very high population area for bear,which he could also shoot with a bear tag during the 1st weekend in deer season.There are some very nice whitetail where I hunt and if he spent a week here,he would go home with a good buck,and reasonable chance at a bear.This is all public ground,but I know how to avoid and use the crowds to my advantage.You only need to worry about crowds on opening day and 1st saturday anyway.After that,you'll be all alone out there.If he doesn't have a great hunt,he owes me nothing.
I also run a group of 20-25 guys and we drive for bear the week before deer opens if he has interest in that.We have world record size black bears in my area.A few have gone over 800 lbs locally

I think the problem is with people expecting an "Equivalent" hunt. Share what you got and expand your horizons to hunt for whatever. For me it's all about the new and different experience. If you are only looking at it as trading numbers ( 160+ 120+ ) than you are ............I'm at a loss for words.

Totally agree... but not my land not my tags. That said I think as I state above our past negative experiences weren't so much with inches of antler but with others not really wanting to do a true experience swap. Best of what we can offer for best you can offer kinda deal.

If I did a black bear public land hunt swap for a public land tahr hunt in NZ for instance, you but your ass I'm taking you to my best spots, pre-scouting and trying my darnedest to get you on a bear and I would hope you to do the same.

Your Dad is more then welcome to come out and hunt my deer spots for up to 2 weeks.That's length of our season for rifle.And I hunt a very high population area for bear,which he could also shoot with a bear tag during the 1st weekend in deer season.There are some very nice whitetail where I hunt and if he spent a week here,he would go home with a good buck,and reasonable chance at a bear.This is all public ground,but I know how to avoid and use the crowds to my advantage.You only need to worry about crowds on opening day and 1st saturday anyway.After that,you'll be all alone out there.If he doesn't have a great hunt,he owes me nothing.
I also run a group of 20-25 guys and we drive for bear the week before deer opens if he has interest in that.We have world record size black bears in my area.A few have gone over 800 lbs locally

What about archery? :confused:

True. I would try my best to make a hunt successful for anybody hunting with me, and I would hope it would go both ways.

I've got some great public land hog spots in Georgia if anyone is willing to brave the heat and bugs.

@wllm1313: This sounds like a pretty good offer for your father-in-law. Pretty much what I was offering but with the added bonus of black bear and maybe a few less hunters.

@wllm1313: This sounds like a pretty good offer for your father-in-law. Pretty much what I was offering but with the added bonus of black bear and maybe a few less hunters.

Man screw the father-in-law lol, I would love to see a bear drive in action. Also would love to get into the woods and chase squirrels with someone who has dogs and knows what they are doing, I can't get enough of those back east small game hunts rinella does.

Man screw the father-in-law lol, I would love to see a bear drive in action. Also would love to get into the woods and chase squirrels with someone who has dogs and knows what they are doing, I can't get enough of those back east small game hunts rinella does.

Yeah but you don't have the mule deer tag to swap. Haha. I still love my hunting by east.

Really nice Bucks!!!!

View attachment 71755
View attachment 71756
View attachment 71757
View attachment 71758

I like ham and beacon too!!!! Need something to wrap my T-loins in on the grill!!! LOL
I've got a place I hunt on where a guy could fill his freezer on pigs alone. I haven't had much luck deer hunting out there but that's probably on account of the cows and pigs. If someone wanted to trade a spring pig shoot for a mule deer hunt I'd probably let him borrow my gun while he's here so he didn't have to waste his own ammo.

crosspatchcrew2017.jpgDid someone say hunting with dogs? I can also hook you up with guys that chase coyotes with hounds which is a rabbit hunt on steroids!!!!

I like ham and beacon too!!!! Need something to wrap my T-loins in on the grill!!! LOL

Here's one I killed a couple months ago and there's a lot more where that came from.
20170318_083752.jpg

Here's a pig rub I found a couple weeks ago, I'm 5'9"for reference
20170610_073127.jpg

Back