SW Kodiak Island for Blacktail

WFGinNM

I'm headed to Kodiak in 11/07. How about some stories on what the hunting might be like when I get there. I've already read everything in the archives about a dozen times.

Thanks,
--Bill

Bill, the guy to talk to is TB in Kodiak. In general expect wind and rain/snow and expect to climb after any bucks you stalk. Heavy snow will drive them towards the beaches but early November typically doesn't have heavy snow.

The climbing can be very difficult as most slopes are thick with a mix of tall grass, the dead, tall stalks of Cow Parsnip known locally as Pushki, and the thorny canes of Salmonberry. All this ankle grabbing vegetation is compounded alder thickets. The alders grow in bands that tend to follow the contour lines, so when planning an uphill stalk its almost impossible to avoid them. The alder bands are not too deep, usually no more than 5 to 10 yards but they are thick and they criss-cross as they grow. The worst part about the alders is they protect the Devils Club...far and away Alaska's nastiest plant. As you maneuver to avoid one you run into the other....In November all you'll see is the brown stalks. They sorta look like giant brown spikey asparagus. The spikes tend to "jump" when touched the way Cholla cactus do. Carry thick leather gloves and wear them for going through the alders.

I would carry a saw and be prepared to cut a path if you will be dragging multiple bucks off the same slope.

If you will be hunting from a boat you'll be pretty comfortable. I haven't done that myself but everyone I know who's gone that way has enjoyed it. Your outfitter cruises the bays looking for deer and runs you to the beach in a zodiac. Then you climb to your buck or bucks (you can kill up to four and all in one day).

The only disadvantage of hunting the south end is the "dinner bell" bears. Many winters the bigger boars don't hibernate untill late in the winter or in some years not at all as food on Kodiak stays plentiful pretty much year round. Some bears have learned that rifle shots mean free meat so be carefull about killing multiple deer too far from help.

Kodiak is an amazing place and even if the weather is crappy you'll have a great time.

Bill,

Well between what I e-mailed you before and what Erik just said you should have the general jest of it. If you have any specific questions just shoot me another e-mail.

TB

carry good raingear and water repellant clothing.it rained 4 days of our trip and we were told that we were lucky with the weather.get to the top as quickly as possible and spend at least one night up there in a spike camp if you can.some deer moved throughout the day but the heaviest activity was in the morning and evening, we certainly would have killed more deer if we had been at the top of the rock at first light instead of hitting the beach 2 hours after daylight.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back